Greta Van Fleet sounds like Rush??

Thunder Bay Rush

"Trio serves up a dose of good hard rock highlighted by the often Robert Plant-like lead vocals of Geddy Lee and the powerful guitar work of Alex Lifeson and solid drumming from John Rutsey ... Only complaint might be the strong similarity to Led Zeppelin ..." -- Billboard review of debut album, August, 1974

"Geddy Lee's bass playing is hardly likely to threaten the likes of an Entwistle ... Guitarist Alex Lifeson surges forth with seeming teenaged abandon, wrestling riffs out of his axe that aren't totally original ..." -- Beetle, September, 1974

"Rush ... is one of those fledgling groups with an alarming disregard for originality.

This copycat trio from Canada opened Wednesday night. Lead singer Geddy Lee was trying to sound like Rod Stewart and Humble Pie's Steve Marriott, but succeeded only in mangling lyrics with his flat, screechy voice. The playing of guitarist Alex Lifeson dissatisfyingly mirrored the style of Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page.

Rush's flagrantly derivative music was neither interesting nor listenable ..." -- Los Angeles Times, November, 1974

" ... the tunes are highly derivative - most obviously "Finding My Way," which steals a lot from the Zep's "Celebration Day." Even the basic riff, for that matter." -- Circus Raves, February, 1975

"We've been influenced by everyone who's good," Geddy states flatly. "We're constantly being compared to Led Zeppelin but that's only because my voice sounds like Robert Plant's - it's an unfortunate coincidence."

Protectively Neil adds, "we aren't following in Led Zeppelin's footsteps." -- St. Catherine's Express, October, 1975

"I played the latest (and admittedly rather derivative) Rush album 'Caress Of Steel' in the office the other day, and unfortunately it received howls of derision. Young lead singer/bassist Geddy Lee sounds like Robert Plant and Burke Shelley combined and guitarist Alex Lifeson has his various rip-off offerings to a tee ..." -- Sounds, January, 1976

"Lead singer Geddy Lee continues to sound as though he played one football game too many without ample equipment, guitarist Alex Lifeson studies the stage charisma of the great guitarists without ever noticing their craft, and drummer Neil Peart should take a long, hard look at learning computer programming." -- Detroit News, February, 1977

Considering Rush were slandered and regarded as underdogs for most ofbtheir career, it bodes well for Greta Van Fleet today!

I hear something in their sound. They aren't their yet but there is an energy and a sense of excitement emanating from them that has me more than intrigued.

"Slander Van Hand Job"

The name of my new hair metal band in 2020!!! Gonna make millions of dollars!!! LOL!

RUSH

"Down The Tubes" Tour 1975.

RUSH took risks when Mercury said you have one last chance and they wen sci fi masterpiece prog.

No ill will to Fleet Weak, I mean Week. LOL!

Good for them.

Hope they make millions of dollars like Ghost.

How can anyone slag off Greta Van Fleet for being Led Zeppelin clones and then in the same sentence praise Kingdom Come?

LMAO.

Saying that, Kingdom Come are better.

Hahahaha! DUH!

I thought you knew my schtick on here by now.

All I do is type for a reaction.

It's true. I do love Kingdom Come but man I saw them open at Monsters Of Rock at Candlestick Park and they were SHITE!

Lenny White baby! Great vocalist.

Different Strokes Myles. Literally!

"Wathhhch you talkin' bout Willis?"

The last band to hit Rush standard were Radiohead, is simple as that. Since they tailed off theres been nothing in that genre, plenty making numbers up but nothing of THAT quality

Subjective opinion always wins the debate.

Funny I actually never ever got into Radiohead - overhyped like Cold Play - but that is my opinion.

I must confess. I love the first three Radiohead albums. Then they went to shite. Cold Filet is one of the worst bands on the planet. Now Maroon 5 is doing the Stuper Bowl?

God have mercy.

Rock and roll is dying a slow death.

Thanks Van Clone Feet

But for the slammers out there, give them goddam a chance. MANY bands sound like other bands when they first start. And, instead of jumping on the band wagon and slamming them, why don't you actually listen to more of their songs along with the lyrics. Most of their stuff sounds nothing like LZ. The lyrics are very good.

They'll be playing stadiums in three years, mark my words. Remember, they are only 19 - 22 years old. Almost every show on their current tour is sold out until mid-summer, most venues are 3,000 - 8,000 seats along with multiple night sell outs as well.

Obviously, there are tons of Greta fans that like them who aren’t on any bandwagon. So why wouldn’t there be people who dislike Greta who aren’t on any bandwagon too?

I’ve heard the entire album and disliked all of it. And I didn’t even know there was a bandwagon.

Packing a stadium and popularity means nothing to me because it’s only about how I like an artist’s music and not how many seats they can sell.

• Like 3

Yes, I am a fan, obviously. I think these kids are great. But for the slammers out there, give them goddam a chance. MANY bands sound like other bands when they first start. And, instead of jumping on the band wagon and slamming them, why don't you actually listen to more of their songs along with the lyrics. Most of their stuff sounds nothing like LZ. The lyrics are very good.

They'll be playing stadiums in three years, mark my words. Remember, they are only 19 - 22 years old. Almost every show on their current tour is sold out until mid-summer, most venues are 3,000 - 8,000 seats along with multiple night sell outs as well.

So there!!!!!

Except the majority of their stuff does sound uncannily like Led Zeppelin. I do enjoy them, but they need to find their own distinctive sound.

Says the fan of many very generic "rock" bands who only dilute their sound the bigger they get *cough* Imagine Dragons *cough*

EDIT: said in a spirit of jest

Says the fan of Taylor Swift.

:P

Yes, I am a fan, obviously. I think these kids are great. But for the slammers out there, give them goddam a chance. MANY bands sound like other bands when they first start. And, instead of jumping on the band wagon and slamming them, why don't you actually listen to more of their songs along with the lyrics. Most of their stuff sounds nothing like LZ. The lyrics are very good.

So there!!!!!

Except the majority of their stuff does sound uncannily like Led Zeppelin. I do enjoy them, but they need to find their own distinctive sound.

Says the fan of many very generic "rock" bands who only dilute their sound the bigger they get *cough* Imagine Dragons *cough*

I don't claim she's anything other than the only pop star I love. And I recognise her as a pop star and nothing more.

So there!!!!!

I don't claim she's anything other than the only pop star I love. And I recognise her as a pop star and nothing more.

And I don’t clain Imagine Dragons are anything but a pop band with a foundation in rock instrumentation and performance values.

So there!!!!!

And I don’t clain Imagine Dragons are anything but a pop band with a foundation in rock instrumentation and performance values.

There is nothing "rock" about them.

• Like 1

Sad to say almost totally uninterested in anything going around today, just glad my youth era was 80s/90s really, god help me but after Radiohead tailed off the only act that made any kind of impression on me was Kanye West in his live shows, guy's a real artist. There's nothing out there, nothing. The kids just arent doing it anymore :(

GVF nothing like Rush to me btw, seem decent if you into that kinda thing but not for me

80s and 90s were rubbish. What sort of rock music lover has nostalgia for the fecking 90s?

The 80's were fantastic music-wise. What hole were you living in during that decade?

I guess the same hole I was in. Not much of an 80s fan. I guess as great as the early 70s were, it's hard to compare.

So you are not a fan of the alternative muic in the 80's or the rise of heavy metal?

Sad to say almost totally uninterested in anything going around today, just glad my youth era was 80s/90s really, god help me but after Radiohead tailed off the only act that made any kind of impression on me was Kanye West in his live shows, guy's a real artist. There's nothing out there, nothing. The kids just arent doing it anymore :(

GVF nothing like Rush to me btw, seem decent if you into that kinda thing but not for me

80s and 90s were rubbish. What sort of rock music lover has nostalgia for the fecking 90s?

Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Cranberries, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, U2, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Pantera, Oasis, Alice In Chains, Flaming Lips, Green Day, Weezer, Bjork, Foo Fighters, Sublime, No Doubt, Wilco...

You're telling me every band on that list is garbage?

Garbage isnt even on the list...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBFOJ3R0M4

I'd add Manic Street Preachers, Blur, Pulp, Supergrass, The Stone Roses.

Funny that a lot of folks beat on Greta for being derivative Zeppelin clones. Zeppelin themselves directly stole from the blues, granted they moulded their sound, like I'm sure the Greta beta's will. Ask Chester Burnett, Willie Dixon and the rest.

So there!!!!!

...dunno...maybe "rock bottom"...

• Like 2

So there!!!!!

I disagree.

Big difference between adopting certain elements and ripping off

Yeah ripping off is a lot worst in my book. Point is Greta's credibility (lack of) is largely based on a band that ripped off Blues bands. Irony much?

Edited by condemned2bfree

I've heard a few criticisms of the SNL performance by Fleet. The first song they played had a rough live mix and the singer did miss a couple notes. The second was bang on... but for anyone still doubting their live sound, check this one from the Tonight Show back in August.

• Like 1

I've heard a few criticisms of the SNL performance by Fleet. The first song they played had a rough live mix and the singer did miss a couple notes. The second was bang on... but for anyone still doubting their live sound, check this one from the Tonight Show back in August.

Okay I just saw 1 minute 26 seconds worth (totally serious) and the dude’s voice is as annoying as ever. Don’t know what more there is to say. No doubt I dislike his voice.

• Like 1

Okay I just saw 1 minute 26 seconds worth (totally serious) and the dude’s voice is as annoying as ever. Don’t know what more there is to say. No doubt I dislike his voice.

Yeah, high castrati shrieks and yelps like a throttled blackbird clamped to the PA.

• Like 3

Yeah, high castrati shrieks and yelps like a throttled blackbird clamped to the PA.

:LOL: :lol: The visuals that description brings up are frightening! I kind of like them but I have to admit your writing is golden . . .

Edited by blueschica

The fact that Rush Forum Members are trying to support this human tripe really makes me realize how boring this forum truly is in 2019.

We all used to have fun! Live fancy free. Talk REAL ROCK! TALK RUSH!

Now it's old and decayed like idiots in this poser band.

Good.

Enjoy this fuckiing shitty cover band Myles and others. It's your world now.

I'm old and fuckking loving life!!!

Don't need to be attached to such antiquated wonders such as this one wonderful wonderment.

BEAT IT!

I will take Lenny White and Kingdom Come any second over this shite.

The band Veta Vendetta Flee Tit should fire that singer.

That drummer looks scared and weak as fukkkkkk

I could play better than that poser on the fuckking drums.

You think I have liquid courage running through my veins?

Some of you Rushhead Haters think I'm snorting cocaine?

Never done it fools.

Don't need drugs.

Rock And Roll is my drug and this shit poser band is a downer.

Inject it into your veins.

Fuckking millennials have ruined our planet.

"LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!"

Signed,

THE WHO!

A real rock band fools!

It's so sad!

I finally recorded a 4 track ep with my 22 year old nephew!

FUCKKING KICK ASS ROCK AND ROLL!

Hell I'm 51 next month!

EAT ME!

HUMBLE PIE?????

HAHAHAHA!

IDIOTS RULE!

Signed,

JANE'S ADDICTION

I feel sorry for many of you tits.

Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Cranberries, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, U2, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Pantera, Oasis, Alice In Chains, Flaming Lips, Green Day, Weezer, Bjork, Foo Fighters, Sublime, No Doubt, Wilco...

You're telling me every band on that list is garbage?

Garbage isnt even on the list...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBFOJ3R0M4

I'd add Manic Street Preachers, Blur, Pulp, Supergrass, The Stone Roses.

GARBAGE!

Blows this GARBAGE away.

Van Halen Greet And Meet Vendeta

One of the worst blands, I mean bands on the planet.

Hell I still gave them my money.

I bough both albums.

Aluminum disc toilet paper to my ass.

Pure shite.

I'm the slandering slagging salamander Myles.

So what!

• Like 1

Van Halen Greet And Meet Vendeta

One of the worst blands, I mean bands on the planet.

Hell I still gave them my money.

I bough both albums.

Aluminum disc toilet paper to my ass.

Pure shite.

I'm the slandering slagging salamander Myles.

So what!

Wait...what? This again?

Ok. Lemme grab some popcorn.

• Like 1