Greta Van Fleet sounds like Rush??

Thunder Bay Rush

The last band to hit Rush standard were Radiohead, is simple as that. Since they tailed off theres been nothing in that genre, plenty making numbers up but nothing of THAT quality

Subjective opinion always wins the debate.

Dunno what your point is there but in the 70s 80s & 90s was at least a dozen bands at any given time (probably many more) you could say were on same level as Rush (as high as you can get obvs) point is, where are they now? Arent the kids doing the right drugs or something? Of course some half-decent stuff been around in noughties but simple truth is NOTHING since Radiohead been at same level, myself personally been more interested in other music genres last few years coz rock is dead the kids simply arent as spaced-out as the 70s 80s and 90s variety, like the creativity been sucked outa them, christ in my day there was a brilliant new act popping up every 5 minutes. Now i find myself impressed by the latest Ariana Grande single

They’re Led Zep clones. I’m not sure how there can be a debate about this.

You just took the keyboard out of my mouth Tony and 2112! This band is one of the biggest rip off cliches in the music industry!

GIVE ME KINGDOM COME AND STONE FURY ALL DAY LONG! LOL!

• Like 2

Even you BLAZE! Some of the most nauseating vocals on the planet. And humans rip Geddy's voice?? LOL! A JOKE!

From 1974-1980 Geddy had one of the greatest shrieking vocals on the planet! Hell, even his singing on "Take Off (To The Great White North)" KICKS ASS!

• Like 3

Even you BLAZE! Some of the most nauseating vocals on the planet. And humans rip Geddy's voice?? LOL! A JOKE!

From 1974-1980 Geddy had one of the greatest shrieking vocals on the planet! Hell, even his singing on "Take Off (To The Great White North)" KICKS ASS!

Me?

This is what I said earlier:

Speaking of vocals, that kid in Fleet can really, really, REALLY sing.

To me his vocals are easily the worst thing about them. Really, really, REALLY annoying :P

And that’s me being nice

• Like 2

How can anyone slag off Greta Van Fleet for being Led Zeppelin clones and then in the same sentence praise Kingdom Come?

LMAO.

Saying that, Kingdom Come are better.

• Like 1

The last band to hit Rush standard were Radiohead, is simple as that. Since they tailed off theres been nothing in that genre, plenty making numbers up but nothing of THAT quality

Subjective opinion always wins the debate.

Funny I actually never ever got into Radiohead - overhyped like Cold Play - but that is my opinion.

• Like 1

Sad to say almost totally uninterested in anything going around today, just glad my youth era was 80s/90s really, god help me but after Radiohead tailed off the only act that made any kind of impression on me was Kanye West in his live shows, guy's a real artist. There's nothing out there, nothing. The kids just arent doing it anymore :(

GVF nothing like Rush to me btw, seem decent if you into that kinda thing but not for me

80s and 90s were rubbish. What sort of rock music lover has nostalgia for the fecking 90s?

The 80's were fantastic music-wise. What hole were you living in during that decade?
  • Like 3

Sad to say almost totally uninterested in anything going around today, just glad my youth era was 80s/90s really, god help me but after Radiohead tailed off the only act that made any kind of impression on me was Kanye West in his live shows, guy's a real artist. There's nothing out there, nothing. The kids just arent doing it anymore :(

GVF nothing like Rush to me btw, seem decent if you into that kinda thing but not for me

80s and 90s were rubbish. What sort of rock music lover has nostalgia for the fecking 90s?

The 80's were fantastic music-wise. What hole were you living in during that decade?

I guess the same hole I was in. Not much of an 80s fan. I guess as great as the early 70s were, it's hard to compare.

• Like 1

I have no problems with Greta Van Fleet. I support anything that could bring a revival to good ole' riff inspired rock n' roll.
  • Like 1

Yes, I am a fan, obviously. I think these kids are great. But for the slammers out there, give them goddam a chance. MANY bands sound like other bands when they first start. And, instead of jumping on the band wagon and slamming them, why don't you actually listen to more of their songs along with the lyrics. Most of their stuff sounds nothing like LZ. The lyrics are very good.

They'll be playing stadiums in three years, mark my words. Remember, they are only 19 - 22 years old. Almost every show on their current tour is sold out until mid-summer, most venues are 3,000 - 8,000 seats along with multiple night sell outs as well.

So there!!!!!

• Like 2

Yes, I am a fan, obviously. I think these kids are great. But for the slammers out there, give them goddam a chance. MANY bands sound like other bands when they first start. And, instead of jumping on the band wagon and slamming them, why don't you actually listen to more of their songs along with the lyrics. Most of their stuff sounds nothing like LZ. The lyrics are very good.

They'll be playing stadiums in three years, mark my words. Remember, they are only 19 - 22 years old. Almost every show on their current tour is sold out until mid-summer, most venues are 3,000 - 8,000 seats along with multiple night sell outs as well.

So there!!!!!

Except the majority of their stuff does sound uncannily like Led Zeppelin. I do enjoy them, but they need to find their own distinctive sound.

So there!!!!!

Except the majority of their stuff does sound uncannily like Led Zeppelin. I do enjoy them, but they need to find their own distinctive sound.

Says the fan of many very generic "rock" bands who only dilute their sound the bigger they get *cough* Imagine Dragons *cough*

EDIT: said in a spirit of jest

Edited by Segue Myles

I remember in 2005 when Trivium came out of nowhere, basically all younger than GVF are now, and metal fans and the media absolutely loved them. Then they tried to channel some of their core influences a year later with The Crusade and they took on a bigger Metallica influence and they suffered a backlash. The backlash proved unwarranted, as 2008's Shogun was a complete 180 and made them even more respected than they were in 2005.

Now, 12 years later all those crazy hateful fans have dissipated and Trivium remain a massive selling heavy metal band who this year have been Grammy nominated for an extremely heavy metal song with BLAST BEATS!

Yeah...many young bands that hit it big immediately have been slated by the press and music fans. But I think it will be interesting to see which side is right.

I agree, I don't hear solely Led Zeppelin. I think they have a classic seventies style, with plenty of late eighties/early nineties alt rock influence as well.

Edited by Segue Myles

"Trio serves up a dose of good hard rock highlighted by the often Robert Plant-like lead vocals of Geddy Lee and the powerful guitar work of Alex Lifeson and solid drumming from John Rutsey ... Only complaint might be the strong similarity to Led Zeppelin ..." -- Billboard review of debut album, August, 1974

"Geddy Lee's bass playing is hardly likely to threaten the likes of an Entwistle ... Guitarist Alex Lifeson surges forth with seeming teenaged abandon, wrestling riffs out of his axe that aren't totally original ..." -- Beetle, September, 1974

"Rush ... is one of those fledgling groups with an alarming disregard for originality.

This copycat trio from Canada opened Wednesday night. Lead singer Geddy Lee was trying to sound like Rod Stewart and Humble Pie's Steve Marriott, but succeeded only in mangling lyrics with his flat, screechy voice. The playing of guitarist Alex Lifeson dissatisfyingly mirrored the style of Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page.

Rush's flagrantly derivative music was neither interesting nor listenable ..." -- Los Angeles Times, November, 1974

" ... the tunes are highly derivative - most obviously "Finding My Way," which steals a lot from the Zep's "Celebration Day." Even the basic riff, for that matter." -- Circus Raves, February, 1975

"We've been influenced by everyone who's good," Geddy states flatly. "We're constantly being compared to Led Zeppelin but that's only because my voice sounds like Robert Plant's - it's an unfortunate coincidence."

Protectively Neil adds, "we aren't following in Led Zeppelin's footsteps." -- St. Catherine's Express, October, 1975

"I played the latest (and admittedly rather derivative) Rush album 'Caress Of Steel' in the office the other day, and unfortunately it received howls of derision. Young lead singer/bassist Geddy Lee sounds like Robert Plant and Burke Shelley combined and guitarist Alex Lifeson has his various rip-off offerings to a tee ..." -- Sounds, January, 1976

"Lead singer Geddy Lee continues to sound as though he played one football game too many without ample equipment, guitarist Alex Lifeson studies the stage charisma of the great guitarists without ever noticing their craft, and drummer Neil Peart should take a long, hard look at learning computer programming." -- Detroit News, February, 1977

• Like 3

"Trio serves up a dose of good hard rock highlighted by the often Robert Plant-like lead vocals of Geddy Lee and the powerful guitar work of Alex Lifeson and solid drumming from John Rutsey ... Only complaint might be the strong similarity to Led Zeppelin ..." -- Billboard review of debut album, August, 1974

"Geddy Lee's bass playing is hardly likely to threaten the likes of an Entwistle ... Guitarist Alex Lifeson surges forth with seeming teenaged abandon, wrestling riffs out of his axe that aren't totally original ..." -- Beetle, September, 1974

"Rush ... is one of those fledgling groups with an alarming disregard for originality.

This copycat trio from Canada opened Wednesday night. Lead singer Geddy Lee was trying to sound like Rod Stewart and Humble Pie's Steve Marriott, but succeeded only in mangling lyrics with his flat, screechy voice. The playing of guitarist Alex Lifeson dissatisfyingly mirrored the style of Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page.

Rush's flagrantly derivative music was neither interesting nor listenable ..." -- Los Angeles Times, November, 1974

" ... the tunes are highly derivative - most obviously "Finding My Way," which steals a lot from the Zep's "Celebration Day." Even the basic riff, for that matter." -- Circus Raves, February, 1975

"We've been influenced by everyone who's good," Geddy states flatly. "We're constantly being compared to Led Zeppelin but that's only because my voice sounds like Robert Plant's - it's an unfortunate coincidence."

Protectively Neil adds, "we aren't following in Led Zeppelin's footsteps." -- St. Catherine's Express, October, 1975

"I played the latest (and admittedly rather derivative) Rush album 'Caress Of Steel' in the office the other day, and unfortunately it received howls of derision. Young lead singer/bassist Geddy Lee sounds like Robert Plant and Burke Shelley combined and guitarist Alex Lifeson has his various rip-off offerings to a tee ..." -- Sounds, January, 1976

"Lead singer Geddy Lee continues to sound as though he played one football game too many without ample equipment, guitarist Alex Lifeson studies the stage charisma of the great guitarists without ever noticing their craft, and drummer Neil Peart should take a long, hard look at learning computer programming." -- Detroit News, February, 1977

Considering Rush were slandered and regarded as underdogs for most ofbtheir career, it bodes well for Greta Van Fleet today!

I hear something in their sound. They aren't their yet but there is an energy and a sense of excitement emanating from them that has me more than intrigued.

• Like 3

"...drummer Neil Peart should take a long, hard look at learning computer programming." -- Detroit News, February, 1977

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:
  • Like 2

Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Cranberries, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, U2, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Pantera, Oasis, Alice In Chains, Flaming Lips, Green Day, Weezer, Bjork, Foo Fighters, Sublime, No Doubt, Wilco...

You're telling me every band on that list is garbage?

Garbage isnt even on the list...

• Like 2

Considering Rush were slandered and regarded as underdogs for most ofbtheir career, it bodes well for Greta Van Fleet today!

I hear something in their sound. They aren't their yet but there is an energy and a sense of excitement emanating from them that has me more than intrigued.

I'm willing to give them a shot. They may flop. But then again...

Don't forget about 80's beach flicks. Epic genre. Just watched "Hardbodies" on blu-ray. Had to order "Spring Break" next!

Thank God or the Universe and my parents that I was born in 1968.

I grew up in the apex of Man.