Greta Van Fleet sounds like Rush??

Thunder Bay Rush

One of rocks most famous sg’s is Eric Clapton’s67 painted by the Beatles art group The Fool.I will try and find a photo.

The Gibson sg of 60/61 was called a Les Paul but it was a sg shape.Gibson changed the design without notifying Les Paul.Les didn’t like the new design and demanded the Les Paul name be removed from further guitars of sg shape.Gibson just merely called them sg(solid guitar).Tony McPhee (Groundhogs)had one and it was stolen.John Cipollina (Quicksilver Messeger Service)also,heavily modified.Easiest way to tell a Les Paul sg is between the neck and the pickup near the neck was a plastic insert with Les Paul script.Other notables of sg fame are Tony Bourge,Mick Box,Frank Marino,Kim Thayil,Pete Townsend.I babysat a 60s Gibson sg for about 3 years,a great rock guitar but always going out tune.

Yes, always going out of tune... I've seen about five or six times on various videos of live shows, where Jake Kistka (GVF guitarist) had to turn off his volume and retune in the middle of a song. I would imagine that he will end up with a Gibson sponsorship this year and he'll have as many guitars as he wants.

Lifeson also plays an SG, a white one, from time to time. What's the double-neck SG called? Also, known to play the SG often is Myles Goodwyn of April Wine. Kim Mitchell played one often when he was back with Max Webster. It would be weird seeing Iommi playing something other than an SG... or Angus Young with a Telecaster? That would be funny actually.
  • Like 1

Lifeson also plays an SG, a white one, from time to time. What's the double-neck SG called? Also, known to play the SG often is Myles Goodwyn of April Wine. Kim Mitchell played one often when he was back with Max Webster. It would be weird seeing Iommi playing something other than an SG... or Angus Young with a Telecaster? That would be funny actually.

There’s video footage of Iommi playing with Jethro Tull playing a Fender Strat at the Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus.Also Malcom and Angus jamming with the Stones where Angus is playing an ES Gibson(Chuck Berry/B.B. King style guitar) .It looks huge on Angus cos he so small
  • Like 1

There’s video footage of Iommi playing with Jethro Tull playing a Fender Strat at the Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus.Also Malcom and Angus jamming with the Stones where Angus is playing an ES Gibson(Chuck Berry/B.B. King style guitar) .It looks huge on Angus cos he so small

787768d26aac3ed9ce7272bd7bfc4d62--guitar-hero-guitar-players.jpg

Don't really hear much Rush with the exception of Black Smoke Rising.

I think they have done enough to create a buzz and their chops seem pretty decent.

I like the songs, but the derivative nature of them can't be overlooked.

Going forward, IMO they need to employ a bit more diversity in their songwriting and try to come up with a style that is "theirs" without borrowing so heavily.

Finally, the singer......I think he is a tremendous raw talent, but it seems he hasn't had much if any vocal coaching....his upper register can be a bit thin and screechy, and I feel he would benefit greatly from lessons in technique and breathing...he doesn't want to lose those pipes by the time he is forty.

• Like 5

I think they have done enough to create a buzz and their chops seem pretty decent.

Going forward, IMO they need to employ a bit more diversity in their songwriting and try to come up with a style that is "theirs" without borrowing so heavily.

Finally, the singer......I think he is a tremendous raw talent, but it seems he hasn't had much if any vocal coaching....his upper register can be a bit thin and screechy, and I feel he would benefit greatly from lessons in technique and breathing...he doesn't want to lose those pipes by the time he is forty.

This could be a word-for-word review of RUSH's debut album. :)
  • Like 4

Geddy's voice on Rush's debut was not only not "thin" in the upper registers, but it was far more diverse and powerful than GVF's vocalist will ever dream of having. Not a good comparison imo... Edited by tks95747
  • Like 2

This could be a word-for-word review of RUSH's debut album. :)

Geddy's voice on Rush's debut was not only not "thin" in the upper registers, but it was far more diverse and powerful than GVF's vocalist will ever dream of having. Not a good comparison imo... Edited by tks95747

I don't think Josh Kistka sounds anything like Geddy Lee. Just because singers can sing at a very high range, doesn't mean they sound alike.

Side note - If anyone is interested, Fleet is on SNL this Saturday. Should be great. Then, they are off to Japan, then Australia.

• Like 2

Excellent. I wanted to like them but they need to develop their own personality and sound.

• Like 1

Bland Zeppelin in hippie costumes, but I'm down with it if their success makes it easier for other bands to break out. Singer's gotta chill though, I couldn't take a whole album of that.

Hippie costumes is right.

I guess some things never go out of style.

I haven't really paid any attention to GVF until I saw them on SNL tonight. I enjoyed it! ( Oh what baby faces, though!) I didn't hear any Rush sounds, really, although it was just two songs, but I did think I was listening to Led Zeppelin III for awhile.

While reading through this thread, I didn't see anyone mention their songwriting, though. To be that young and writing your own stuff is a big accomplishment, even if it is somewhat derivative. The jury is still out for me- I'm going to listen to some more and give them some time, if they survive their spring/ summer touring schedule- it looks intense.

• Like 2

Alex gave a shout-out to Greta Van Fleet near the end of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 'Rush Fan Day' interview with Geddy (the Q&A portion).

Did he thank them for some inspiration?

Alex's comments about the band are reprinted on Ultimate Classic Rock here.

Edited by RushFanForever

I haven't really paid any attention to GVF until I saw them on SNL tonight. I enjoyed it! ( Oh what baby faces, though!) I didn't hear any Rush sounds, really, although it was just two songs, but I did think I was listening to Led Zeppelin III for awhile.

While reading through this thread, I didn't see anyone mention their songwriting, though. To be that young and writing your own stuff is a big accomplishment, even if it is somewhat derivative. The jury is still out for me- I'm going to listen to some more and give them some time, if they survive their spring/ summer touring schedule- it looks intense.

They did look very young.

• Like 1

Hey Blues... this one would be a good one to watch if you're thinking about giving these guys a chance. It's one song... 26 minutes, a jam really. But, if you can find the time, sit through it, all of it, and you'll be a fan.

• Like 1

Should also mention, the SNL thing was good, but they're better on their own live stage where there are no time constraints. The two songs they played are normally a couple minutes longer each. they jam a lot which I think is great.
  • Like 1

Alex gave a shout-out to Greta Van Fleet near the end of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 'Rush Fan Day' interview with Geddy (the Q&A portion).

Not surprised about the Greta shout out from Alex. He would remember all too well the comparisons between his young band and LZ. The best part is when he praised their musicianship, which is way crazy for 19 - 22 year old players.

• Like 3

Hey Blues... this one would be a good one to watch if you're thinking about giving these guys a chance. It's one song... 26 minutes, a jam really. But, if you can find the time, sit through it, all of it, and you'll be a fan.

Thanks, Thunder! Going to watch/listen now!

Not surprised about the Greta shout out from Alex. He would remember all too well the comparisons between his young band and LZ. The best part is when he praised their musicianship, which is way crazy for 19 - 22 year old players.

I agreed with him absolutely.

I still think Greta write pretty bland songs but the energy and talent is there and if or when it all comes together at the right time, it will be magic!

• Like 1

I saw them last night on SNL, I don't really watch SNL anymore but I tuned in for this young band from the 313. My wife and I laughed a lot. Denise knew nothing about them, unprompted she said, "a young Geddy Lee"? I wasn't blown away by anything, although they seemed good enough that I'll check out some actual studio recordings. It wouldn't be the first time that an SNL live performance left a bad first impression. Edited by JohnRogers

Thanks, Thunder! Going to watch/listen now!

Thank you, Thunder! That was awesome! It actually sounded to me like they are honoring a big Deep Purple influence as well as Zeppelin. :heart: :heart: :heart: I'm definitely going to be listening to more!

Edited by blueschica