Greta Van Fleet sounds like Rush??

Thunder Bay Rush

Does anyone know if they actually get radio play? Would these guys play next to Twenty-One Pilots and Imagine Dragons on a modern rock/alt station (yes those are the bands that play on modern rock stations).

I've never heard a 21 Pilots song on the radio before. But I've heard the same stations that play Imagine Dragons also play Gretta. So yes, they are getting rotation on modern rock stations.

Really? 21P were all over my local alt stations when they blew up in 2015, and they had a couple big songs get play before that too.

But that's very interesting about GVF. For some reason I didn't think the modern "rock" stations would take to them with such a retro sound standing out like a sore thumb next to Thunder or Car Radio.

I don't listen to the radio like I used to but I never heard of 21 Pilots until Segue started wacking off to them on here a year or two back. It's kind of like how Muse is supposed to be this hugely popular band according to all their fans yet I only ever heard one song from them played with any regularity on the radio.

As an aside, in every clip of them I've seen (including "live" ones) it looks like the singer is lip syncing. You worry that there's a Milli Vanilli thing going on with these guys.

I would like to think people are wiser to things like that these days but who knows? Maybe they found a way to Milli Vanilli without anyone knowing yet.

As an aside, in every clip of them I've seen (including "live" ones) it looks like the singer is lip syncing. You worry that there's a Milli Vanilli thing going on with these guys.

I would like to think people are wiser to things like that these days but who knows? Maybe they found a way to Milli Vanilli without anyone knowing yet.

If you watch the clips the singer never looks like he’s actually singing.

From Rolling Stone Magazine - October 2018

Rock & Roll’s Anxiety of Influence - Greta Van Fleet are the latest in a long line of bands slagged for obvious musical borrowing. But is sounding like an earlier act really such a bad thing? Experts weigh in.

Also Robert Plant comments on the band below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePIAaQwYMaM

Edited by RushFanForever

Does anyone know if they actually get radio play? Would these guys play next to Twenty-One Pilots and Imagine Dragons on a modern rock/alt station (yes those are the bands that play on modern rock stations).

I've never heard a 21 Pilots song on the radio before. But I've heard the same stations that play Imagine Dragons also play Gretta. So yes, they are getting rotation on modern rock stations.

Really? 21P were all over my local alt stations when they blew up in 2015, and they had a couple big songs get play before that too.

But that's very interesting about GVF. For some reason I didn't think the modern "rock" stations would take to them with such a retro sound standing out like a sore thumb next to Thunder or Car Radio.

I don't listen to the radio like I used to but I never heard of 21 Pilots until Segue started wacking off to them on here a year or two back. It's kind of like how Muse is supposed to be this hugely popular band according to all their fans yet I only ever heard one song from them played with any regularity on the radio.

Muse is far more popular in countries that aren't the US. They do have a fair few songs that, from my perspective as a big fan, seem like they're sizable alt rock hits. But sadly I agree they don't seem to get a lot of radio play over here, and usually it's one of about two or three songs. About half of anyone I've talked to in person about Muse hasn't heard of them, and the majority of those who have know them for only one or two songs (although they aren't always the exact same songs). Make no mistake though, they are a popular band with multiple well known songs who play filled stadium sets filled with hit singles (looking at the numbers). It's just that their popularity never seems to carry over to America, and never seems to generate much buzz on the internet.

Muse is far more popular in countries that aren't the US. They do have a fair few songs that, from my perspective as a big fan, seem like they're sizable alt rock hits. But sadly I agree they don't seem to get a lot of radio play over here, and usually it's one of about two or three songs. About half of anyone I've talked to in person about Muse hasn't heard of them, and the majority of those who have know them for only one or two songs (although they aren't always the exact same songs). Make no mistake though, they are a popular band with multiple well known songs who play filled stadium sets filled with hit singles (looking at the numbers). It's just that their popularity never seems to carry over to America, and never seems to generate much buzz on the internet.

From what I can gather it seems like their fanbase is a bit like Rush's. They're very dedicated and will show up in very good numbers for shows and to buy the albums. But if you ask the random rock fan what they know from them they might only be able to name a couple songs.

• Like 1

I've heard of Muse, but I have never heard them on radio, at least that I'm aware of. I've only heard GVF on Nova Scotia radio once, that was a rock station in Halifax. As much as the Internet is a double edged sword for many bands, GVF has become huge so fast, mainly due to the... better edge of the sword.

I've read a few youtube comments about GVF also sounding like Yes, which to me, is nonsense. Some people compare the band to any band where the singer has a high range. Josh's vocals are his own. He can't change the sound of his voice. I think he sounds more like Dio than Plante. But, give this guy some time. He's only 22 and he will develop, so will the rest of the band. Someone above mentioned about Rush developing. Look at the difference between the first Rush album and AFT Kings. It's not even the same band if you really think about it.

Remember I live in the UK. They are all over the media here, both the rock underground and the mainstream.

To give a fair shot to those who have indicated that GVF reminds them of Rush, I went and listened to about 10 of GVF's tunes off of a You Tube mix. Shameless Zep rip? ? ? Indeed... Rush? ? ? Sorry, don't hear it...
  • Like 2

I have both of the GVF albums and they’re okay. Some good songs, some bad. Listening to the singer for very long is tiring on my hears. And their musicality isn’t good enough to overlook that. Maybe his voice will mellow with age if they last that long.

It’s more amazing to me that this thread has gotten to 4 pages.

• Like 1

Bland Zeppelin in hippie costumes, but I'm down with it if their success makes it easier for other bands to break out. Singer's gotta chill though, I couldn't take a whole album of that.

The Birkenstock’s and striped pants are a little hokey. You gotta love the SG and the Jazz though.

Bland Zeppelin in hippie costumes, but I'm down with it if their success makes it easier for other bands to break out. Singer's gotta chill though, I couldn't take a whole album of that.

The Birkenstock’s and striped pants are a little hokey. You gotta love the SG and the Jazz though.

That guitar that he uses is actually a Les Paul. I also thought it was an SG, but in a interview talking about his guitars and his rig, he said that the first year or two of that model were called Les Paul... 1960 or 1961 I think he said. The bass player uses that Jazz and a Precision with a Jazz neck put on it.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

That guitar that he uses is actually a Les Paul. I also thought it was an SG, but in a interview talking about his guitars and his rig, he said that the first year or two of that model were called Les Paul... 1960 or 1961 I think he said. The bass player uses that Jazz and a Precision with a Jazz neck put on it.

That's not an SG?

Substantively, I like both their albums. Are they my favorite band? No. The Clash aren't either, but I've been enjoying them recently.

Same.

I'm so sick of the debate about this band. If you like them fine but it's getting pretty tiresome when all their fans keep shoving them in everyone else's face.

*insert quote of any GVF trying to get you to like their music.*

That's not an SG?

No, it's not an SG... I thought it was too. I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know much about the history of Fender, Martin, or Gibson. Fast forward to the 17:30 mark of this youtube video where Jake explains his SG looking Les Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

That's not an SG?

It certainly looks like an SG to me as well. But I've heard of other SG looking guitars being classifed as being SG/Les Pauls. Namely Duane Allman's slide guitar which was (might still be) in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

https://www.groundgu...1961-gibson-sg/

Edited by apetersvt

That's not an SG?

From vintage guitar website:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1817/gibson-sg-les-paul/

That's not an SG?

No, it's not an SG... I thought it was too. I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know much about the history of Fender, Martin, or Gibson. Fast forward to the 17:30 mark of this youtube video where Jake explains his SG looking Les Paul.

I would never have known that. I always thought an SG was identified by its body type.

Now I'm wondering if Angus and Iommi use SGs or Les Pauls.

Now I know:

Although the list of Gibson SG players may not be as long as that of the Les Paul, some of the most influential guitarists in history preferred Gibson’s lighter, sleeker creation. It’s hard to imagine Angus Young of AC/DC or Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath without an SG over their shoulder. Robbie Krieger of the Doors, Frank Zappa, Derek Trucks, Jerry Garcia, Mike Ness, Eric Calpton(before he played Fender Strats), Mick Taylor, Eddie Vedder, Pete Townshend, and Rivers Cuomo are also fans of the SG. If you’re thinking of playing “Back In Black” in your cover band, you better get yourself an SG!

https://spotlight.sa...on-les-paul-sg/

The Gibson sg of 60/61 was called a Les Paul but it was a sg shape.Gibson changed the design without notifying Les Paul.Les didn’t like the new design and demanded the Les Paul name be removed from further guitars of sg shape.Gibson just merely called them sg(solid guitar).Tony McPhee (Groundhogs)had one and it was stolen.John Cipollina (Quicksilver Messeger Service)also,heavily modified.Easiest way to tell a Les Paul sg is between the neck and the pickup near the neck was a plastic insert with Les Paul script.Other notables of sg fame are Tony Bourge,Mick Box,Frank Marino,Kim Thayil,Pete Townsend.I babysat a 60s Gibson sg for about 3 years,a great rock guitar but always going out tune. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1