Greta Van Fleet sounds like Rush??

Thunder Bay Rush

With so little "new" rock music getting any recognition or airplay these days i give them a go .They're young and full of beans and probably been listening to their dads vinyl and are playing real guitars and drums.Thank God they didn't turn into the Backstreet Boys.
  • Like 1

"Rock is dead...all kids want is hip hop"

Old school inspired rock band breaks out into the mainstream

"Eew they sound like the past. No I don't like them my [insert under the radar band] should be massive. I hate their clothes. They look arrogant. They are young but would sound better if they had another decades worth of musical evolution to find their sound. Til then they are crap. Oh gosh they are so basic."

Looks at charts.

"I hate how the charts are full of cheap sounding pop songs and it all sounds the same. We need more rock."

• Like 5

I'm so sick of the debate about this band. If you like them fine but it's getting pretty tiresome when all their fans keep shoving them in everyone else's face.

This

• Like 1

"Rock is dead...all kids want is hip hop"

Old school inspired rock band breaks out into the mainstream

"Eew they sound like the past. No I don't like them my [insert under the radar band] should be massive. I hate their clothes. They look arrogant. They are young but would sound better if they had another decades worth of musical evolution to find their sound. Til then they are crap. Oh gosh they are so basic."

Looks at charts.

"I hate how the charts are full of cheap sounding pop songs and it all sounds the same. We need more rock."

Rolling Stone magazine in a nutshell, folks.

• Like 2

This whole debate is very funny. Not sure how many of you were around when Rush started out, but many of these anti GVF comments are pretty much exactly what people were saying about Rush. We all know that Rush was struggling after the first three albums. The down the tubes tour supporting COS. And then on their 4th album they found their sound and were on the way up. So some bands take a while to settle in and find "their" voice. Lucky for us that Rush didn't listen to all of the detractors. GVF has the same type of hard core fans that stood by Rush from the beginning, and helped them keep going. AND any young rock band that makes it big and plays their own instruments really well is alright by me. They are also very very good live.
  • Like 3

Greta Van Fleet are young, talented and exciting. Original? Maybe not but they are also far from stale.

I like them a lot. Do they remind me of early Rush?

Yes. The same feeling of the debut, of power and raw talent and passion and enthusiasm.

I look forward to their future. I think they could become real greats.

• Like 2

Speaking of vocals, that kid in Fleet can really, really, REALLY sing.

To me his vocals are easily the worst thing about them. Really, really, REALLY annoying :P

Damn this right here. That little elf’s caterwauling is too much. He sounds like someone stepped on a cat.

Saw GVF in Minneapolis - 3 weeks later saw Priest at the same venue. Talent aside, GVF WAS NOT ready to be opening at that point - I n ew it when I saw them and that was reinforced after seeing Priest. Apples and oranges? Maybe - but GVF needed a lot more maturing.

This whole debate is very funny. Not sure how many of you were around when Rush started out, but many of these anti GVF comments are pretty much exactly what people were saying about Rush. We all know that Rush was struggling after the first three albums. The down the tubes tour supporting COS. And then on their 4th album they found their sound and were on the way up. So some bands take a while to settle in and find "their" voice. Lucky for us that Rush didn't listen to all of the detractors. GVF has the same type of hard core fans that stood by Rush from the beginning, and helped them keep going. AND any young rock band that makes it big and plays their own instruments really well is alright by me. They are also very very good live.

A lot more than half of this isn’t a debate. In truth, I don’t really see any debate going on. When someone like me says they think his vocals suck, there is no debate. When someone thinks they’re great, there is no debate. And that’s a lot of what’s going on - just people liking or disliking them.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I guess the comparison to the first Rush album is not really surprising because Rush was compared to Zep at the time. As Gene Simmons referred to Rush as 'what the hell is this? Canadian Zeppelin?'. But once Neil came aboard they quickly migrated to something different knowing that they didn't want to be known as Zep clones. So I guess the Gretas got everyone's attention with the first album, but the real test is where they go from here. If they continue with the Zep clone stuff, they'll burn out quickly.
  • Like 1

To me his vocals are easily the worst thing about them. Really, really, REALLY annoying :P

Damn this right here. That little elf’s caterwauling is too much. He sounds like someone stepped on a cat.

"The list of things that Geddy’s voice sounds like:

a rat caught in a wringer;

a hamster in overdrive;

the dead howling in Hades;

Mickey Mouse on helium (from Alex);

strangling a hamster;

a cat being chased out the door with a blow torch up its ass"

https://www.duskbeforethedawn.net/2011/02/rush-beyond-the-lighted-stage/

• Like 1

"The list of things that Geddy’s voice sounds like:

a rat caught in a wringer;

a hamster in overdrive;

the dead howling in Hades;

Mickey Mouse on helium (from Alex);

strangling a hamster;

a cat being chased out the door with a blow torch up its ass"

https://www.duskbeforethedawn.net/2011/02/rush-beyond-the-lighted-stage/

The last one’s a bit forced but “the dead howling in Hades” and “strangling a hamster” are good stuff :hail:

• Like 3

A bunch of fair comments here. A couple people said that Josh's vocals are way too much... he can hit some insanely high notes and hold them for a long time; he does scream a lot but he is good at it if you like that style. Ronnie James Dio a bit? Not Plante. But, I still don't see much of a Rush sound to them. Their full length CD that came out in October is a big step away from the LZ stuff and it shows (how someone above mentioned) that they will find their own sound and mature.

They're VERY young... I don't remember ever seeing such a young band being this good. One example, the bass player also plays organ and piano on stage and at the same time, plays a full bass line with his feet by way of a set of bass pedals. The kid is now 18... or maybe 19, but he was doing this when he was even younger. You can see a HUGE difference in their live act (between videos from 2017 and today) how they have improved their presence and playing. They'll be booked into the arenas by this coming summer, mark my words.

This one has a LZ feels to it, especially, since it's mostly a jam. I do hear a little bit of Rush... maybe the guitar?

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 2

GVF definitely have talent and I'm interested to see where they go in the future. At this point in their career they don't do a lot for me personally -- too obviously derivative of bands from the '70s and I'd rather just listen to the original versions.

WITH THAT SAID ... I think it's definitely a good thing that they're having the kind of success and buzz they're getting at the moment. There isn't any other music that sounds like them currently on mainstream radio, so if you're a young kid not familiar with Zeppelin or AC/DC or Rush or any of the other bands that influenced them, you might hear GVF on the radio and think it sounds cool and that might lead you to seek out some of those bands. So I wish them continued success. And they're so young, there's no way they're a finished product as far as what they're going to sound like. They're about the same age as Rush was when they made their debut album, which was also a blatant Zeppelin ripoff that didn't bring much original to the table.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if they actually get radio play? Would these guys play next to Twenty-One Pilots and Imagine Dragons on a modern rock/alt station (yes those are the bands that play on modern rock stations).

Does anyone know if they actually get radio play? Would these guys play next to Twenty-One Pilots and Imagine Dragons on a modern rock/alt station (yes those are the bands that play on modern rock stations).

I've never heard a 21 Pilots song on the radio before. But I've heard the same stations that play Imagine Dragons also play Gretta. So yes, they are getting rotation on modern rock stations.

• Like 1

Highway Tune is actually featured in a car commercial running right now I believe.

The Zeppelin link is unmistakable. The singer sounds nothing like Geddy IMO.

• Like 2

Highway Tune is actually featured in a car commercial running right now I believe.

Not sure if that's the song I've heard on the radio but every time I hear the vocals I think Zeppelin released a rarity set or something because that's Plant singing but I don't recognize the song.

• Like 1

Not sure if that's the song I've heard on the radio but every time I hear the vocals I think Zeppelin released a rarity set or something because that's Plant singing but I don't recognize the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

They are far more worthy of being called a rock band than either of those other bands.

• Like 1

They are far more worthy of being called a rock band than either of those other bands.

Just stating the facts of the matter. All three receive radio play on rock stations. At one point or another all three could reasonably be considered "rock."

I've never heard a 21 Pilots song on the radio before. But I've heard the same stations that play Imagine Dragons also play Gretta. So yes, they are getting rotation on modern rock stations.

Really? 21P were all over my local alt stations when they blew up in 2015, and they had a couple big songs get play before that too.

But that's very interesting about GVF. For some reason I didn't think the modern "rock" stations would take to them with such a retro sound standing out like a sore thumb next to Thunder or Car Radio.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

I guess the comparison to the first Rush album is not really surprising because Rush was compared to Zep at the time. As Gene Simmons referred to Rush as 'what the hell is this? Canadian Zeppelin?'. But once Neil came aboard they quickly migrated to something different knowing that they didn't want to be known as Zep clones. So I guess the Gretas got everyone's attention with the first album, but the real test is where they go from here. If they continue with the Zep clone stuff, they'll burn out quickly.

They just haven't found their Neil Peart yet.