Peart----- You won't believe this :0

tks95747

What's to not believe? That's all in all quite a solid list imo, and though I rank Peart at #1, I totally get the argument for Bonham at #1 and Peart at #2, and there were a number of great selections that often get forgotten about in other greatest drummer lists.
  • Like 5

What's to not believe? That's all in all quite a solid list imo, and though I rank Peart at #1, I totally get the argument for Bonham at #1 and Peart at #2, and there were a number of great selections that often get forgotten about in other greatest drummer lists.

It is all a matter of opinion, but I don't see John Bonham even in the same hemisphere (excuse me) as Neil... Technical prowess, precision, creativity and on and on and on....all go to Pratt in my book. But my book is the only one in my library ;)

What I don't believe is that they used a photo of Alan White in the Bill Bruford spot. I mean they (the compilers of the list) are soooo knowledgeable of all things Bill Bruford that they named him 5th best rock drummer of all time!! Surely they would know what Bruford looks like. Or maybe they just picked names up 2nd hand and are regurgitating shit we've read a thousand times. And maybe we need not to be curious about best of lists.

Sorry about the snark but "best of" lists? Let's try and not give a shit eh?

• Like 3

I take more issue with Alex Van Halen at 25 than I do with Peart at number two. No shame coming in behind Bonham.

Yeah, I love the Stones as much as the next guy, but no way Charlie Watts is top 10 while Alex Van Halen barely makes the list. Phill Collins would also be an easy top ten for me, especially since they seem to know their prog drummers.

• Like 2

It is all a matter of opinion, but I don't see John Bonham even in the same hemisphere (excuse me) as Neil... Technical prowess, precision, creativity and on and on and on....all go to Pratt in my book. But my book is the only one in my library ;)

That's a fine opinion, but you must realize how revered Bonham is as a drummer? He's consistently listed as number 1 or 2 (usually only surpassed by Peart) in any greatest drummer list I've ever read. Musicianship isn't all about technical prowess a la Peart to many people, but much more about feel and humanity. Bonham has these qualities in droves.

• Like 1

What I don't believe is that they used a photo of Alan White in the Bill Bruford spot. I mean they (the compilers of the list) are soooo knowledgeable of all things Bill Bruford that they named him 5th best rock drummer of all time!! Surely they would know what Bruford looks like. Or maybe they just picked names up 2nd hand and are regurgitating shit we've read a thousand times. And maybe we need not to be curious about best of lists.

And ironically Alan White should be in the list.
  • Like 1

Bonham was an amazing drummer and usually played on a kit with a huge bass drum and not much else.He had tremendous power that came from the wrists rather than biceps.But as mentioned he had feel which is so important as a drummer as well as timekeeping.As much as I love Neil’s playing and technical prowess Bohnham truly deserves number #1.Yes I hate these polls because nobody is the best,because somewhere up in the hills or a desert island there is going to be a drummer or guitarist who kicks ass
  • Like 1

Also forgive if I am wrong ,but on the list they mention Carmine Appice was in Dio when it was only Vinnie
  • Like 1

Also forgive if I am wrong ,but on the list they mention Carmine Appice was in Dio when it was only Vinnie

I thought they had that wrong. I figured maybe Carmine toured with Dio or something. But yeah, Vinnie Appice was always Dio's guy. Wherever Dio went Vinnie almost always followed.

Further proof the person who made this list has no clue is Dave Grohl being so high.

• Like 1

Mike Portnoy once said, "There is no best drummer just a favourite drummer," or something to that affect. I didn't bother to look at the list... okay, I started to and then stopped when I saw Tommy Lee as number 24. Okay.........
  • Like 1

Mike Portnoy once said, "There is no best drummer just a favourite drummer," or something to that affect. I didn't bother to look at the list... okay, I started to and then stopped when I saw Tommy Lee as number 24. Okay.........

Mike Portnoy's favorite drummer is Mike Portnoy.

• Like 3

I haven't looked at it. But if it doesn't include Phil Rudd, and have him in the top 3 and ahead of Neil, it's a bullshit list.

Folks, Neil is NOT a good rock drummer. No feel. No groove. He a robot, programmed to jerk off all over the place.

:facepalm:

• Like 3

Would you be as dismissive of a "Worst Drummers" list that put Neil at number 24?

I take more issue with Alex Van Halen at 25 than I do with Peart at number two. No shame coming in behind Bonham.

Totally agree with the Alex VH comment.

Yeah, I love the Stones as much as the next guy, but no way Charlie Watts is top 10 while Alex Van Halen barely makes the list. Phill Collins would also be an easy top ten for me, especially since they seem to know their prog drummers.

IKR...I almost spat out my drink when I saw Charlie Watts in the top ten... :laughing guy:
  • Like 2

That's a fine opinion, but you must realize how revered Bonham is as a drummer? He's consistently listed as number 1 or 2 (usually only surpassed by Peart) in any greatest drummer list I've ever read. Musicianship isn't all about technical prowess a la Peart to many people, but much more about feel and humanity. Bonham has these qualities in droves.

And I equally respect your opinion...
  • Like 1

Mike Portnoy's favorite drummer is Mike Portnoy.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar
  • Like 1

These lists are always pretty pointless because everyone has a different opinion. John Bonham was a monster drummer. There is so much there that you don't get on first listen or casual listen. Drumming is not all about playing the most notes or the most complicated pattern all the time. I may be in the minority but Charlie Watts is one of my personal favourite drummers of all time. He is so perfect for the band that he is in. He defines playing in the pocket. Neil probably could not play in the Stones and Charlie couldn't play in Rush. One of the most ridiculous drumming performances is on Different Stages Working Man. John Rutsey played it the way it should be played. Neil overplays because he cannot hold back. Neil also was not that great playing big band on the Burning for Buddy sessions. But he remains one of the greatest drummers of all time for his work in Rush.
  • Like 3

These lists are always pretty pointless because everyone has a different opinion. John Bonham was a monster drummer. There is so much there that you don't get on first listen or casual listen. Drumming is not all about playing the most notes or the most complicated pattern all the time. I may be in the minority but Charlie Watts is one of my personal favourite drummers of all time. He is so perfect for the band that he is in. He defines playing in the pocket. Neil probably could not play in the Stones and Charlie couldn't play in Rush. One of the most ridiculous drumming performances is on Different Stages Working Man. John Rutsey played it the way it should be played. Neil overplays because he cannot hold back. Neil also was not that great playing big band on the Burning for Buddy sessions. But he remains one of the greatest drummers of all time for his work in Rush.

:goodone:

• Like 1

Would you be as dismissive of a "Worst Drummers" list that put Neil at number 24?

I think I'm dismissive of the idea of treating music/musicians like athletes. I suppose someone could organize a competition and have drummers do technical things and then a panel judges them on accuracy, speed, creativity, feel, groove and whatever other metrics this competition decided but that would be really silly wouldn't it? So what are we judging with these lists? Preference and taste. Someone posted they prefer Phil Rudd to Neil - is he wrong? Hell no, that's what he prefers. Maybe he prefers the taste of a pear to an apple why should I or anyone else care.

I love listening to Phil Rudd and AC/DC - for about 20 minutes and then I've had enough. So whatever groove or feel the poster is talking about that is better than Peart's - don't mean shit to me. On the other hand I can listen to Rush all day long and not tire of it. And Neil's non-groove and non-feel playing, grooves with me and I'm feelin' it.

• Like 2