General Rush Quiz - 20 Questions

Thunder Bay Rush

Okay, let's see how Rush-smart you are...

1 - What year did Rush record in England for the first time and what album did they record?

2 – What tour was it when Rush sold out three consecutive nights for the first time at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto?

3 – What album was the first that Terry Brown did not co-produce with Rush?

4 – What studio album did Geddy first start using Taurus pedals?

5 – What tour did Rush stop opening up for other bands and become the headliner?

6 – Which band (a label mate with Anthem Records) most commonly opened for Rush in the late 70s?

7 – What tour did Geddy start using his Steinberger Bass guitar?

8 – What tour was the final time Neil used Slingerland drums?

9 – What Rush album was the first to go Gold in the US? (500,000 units.)

10 – Rush sold out three consecutive nights and recorded one of those nights for an FM radio broadcast. Which tour and what city, what venue?

11 – What tour did Alex start playing a Gibson double neck six and twelve string guitar? He had two – what colours were they?

12 – What is the name of Rush’s lighting director who has been with the band since the band’s first big show opening for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann’s earth Band in 1974?

13 – What city was that show (#12) played in and approximately how many people were in the audience?

14 – Where was the sound of birds chirping (heard on the intro to Xanadu) recorded?

15 – What tour did Neil start using temple blocks and wind chimes and for what song?

16 – What is the biggest audience that Rush played to for their own show? (Not a festival.)

17 – What tour did Rush use pyrotechnics for the first time? (Flash pots as they were called then.)

18 – How many shows has Rush played in Australia?

19 – What tour did Geddy start using an Oberheim OBX synthesizer on stage?

20 – Last one is a weird one… on which tour did Alex get his hair permed for the first time?

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 1

1 - What year did Rush record in England for the first time and what album did they record?

1977, AFTK?

2 – What tour was it when Rush sold out three consecutive nights for the first time at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto?

2112, for the ATWAS show?

Edit: Shit, that was Massey Hall.

The debut?

AFTK?

5 – What tour did Rush stop opening up for other bands and become the headliner?

TFE?

6 – Which band (a label mate with Anthem Records) most commonly opened for Rush in the late 70s?

Max Webster?

p/g?

Hemispheres?

MP?

10 – Rush sold out three consecutive nights and recorded one of those nights for an FM radio broadcast. Which tour and what city, what venue?

PeW, St. Louis, and no clue?

11 – What tour did Alex start playing a Gibson double neck six and twelve string guitar? He had two – what colours were they?

AFTK? Red and white?

12 – What is the name of Rush’s lighting director who has been with the band since the band’s first big show opening for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann’s earth Band in 1974?

Howard UnsomethingOrOther (aka, Herns)?

13 – What city was that show (#12) played in and approximately how many people were in the audience?

Cleveland, 40k?

14 – Where was the sound of birds chirping (heard on the intro to Xanadu) recorded?

Geddy's house?

15 – What tour did Neil start using temple blocks and wind chimes and for what song?

AFTK, Xanadu?

16 – What is the biggest audience that Rush played to for their own show? (Not a festival.)

Sao Paulo?

17 – What tour did Rush use pyrotechnics for the first time? (Flash pots as they were called then.)

CoS?

Zero?

Signals?

20 – Last one is a weird one… on which tour did Alex get his hair permed for the first time?

CoS?

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I think Power Windows (1985) was the first album recorded in England. AFTK and Hemispheres were in Wales.

• Like 2

1977, AFTK?

The debut?

AFTK?

TFE?

Max Webster?

p/g?

Hemispheres?

MP?

AFTK? Red and white?

Cleveland, 40k?

Geddy's house?

AFTK, Xanadu?

Sao Paulo?

CoS?

Zero?

Signals?

CoS?

I'd say you got 10 out of 20... I gave you the one about "Herns." Howard Ungerleider is his name, yes they called him Herns. Question 1, about England? Wales is up for debate but most people say Wales is NOT part of England where AFTK was recorded. You got a couple of two part questions right, but this is a hard exam. Can't give half marks... go back and study.

1977, AFTK?

The debut?

AFTK?

TFE?

Max Webster?

p/g?

Hemispheres?

MP?

AFTK? Red and white?

Cleveland, 40k?

Geddy's house?

AFTK, Xanadu?

Sao Paulo?

CoS?

Zero?

Signals?

CoS?

I'd say you got 10 out of 20... I gave you the one about "Herns." Howard Ungerleider is his name, yes they called him Herns. Question 1, about England? Wales is up for debate but most people say Wales is NOT part of England where AFTK was recorded. You got a couple of two part questions right, but this is a hard exam. Can't give half marks... go back and study.

I'm good with 50%. :)

Being "good with 50%" was my theory all through high school. Mom to me - "You lazy little bastard!" Me to mom - "I passed, didn't I?"
  • Like 1

1. 1977 - A Farewell To Kings

2. 2112 Tour

3. Grace Under Pressure

4. A Farewell To Kings

5. Test For Echo Tour

6. Max Webster

7. Grace Under Pressure Tour

8. Hemispheres Tour

9. A Farewell To Kings

10. February 13, 1980 - Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, Missouri

11. A Farewell To Kings Tour - cherry and white

12. Howard Ungerleider

13. August 14, 1974 - Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 12,000 people in the audience

14. The courtyard at Rockfield Studios in Monmouthshire - South Wales, UK

15. A Farewell To Kings Tour - Xanadu

16. São Paulo (60,000)

17. Counterparts Tour

18. RUSH has never played Australia

19. Hemispheres Tour

20. 2112 Tour

Edited by RushFanForever

1977, AFTK?

The debut?

AFTK?

TFE?

Max Webster?

p/g?

Hemispheres?

MP?

AFTK? Red and white?

Cleveland, 40k?

Geddy's house?

AFTK, Xanadu?

Sao Paulo?

CoS?

Zero?

Signals?

CoS?

spoiler alert

1. 1977 - A Farewell To Kings

2. 2112 Tour

3. Grace Under Pressure

4. A Farewell To Kings

5. Test For Echo Tour

6. Max Webster

8. Hemispheres Tour

9. A Farewell To Kings

10. February 13, 1980 - Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, Missouri

11. A Farewell To Kings Tour - cherry and white

12. Howard Ungerleider

13. August 14, 1974 - Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 12,000 people in the audience

14. The courtyard at Rockfield Studios in Monmouthshire - South Wales, UK

15. A Farewell To Kings Tour - Xanadu

16. São Paulo (60,000)

17. Counterparts Tour

18. RUSH has never played Australia

19. Hemispheres Tour

20. 2112 Tour

16 out of 20!! Pretty friggin' good!

I was living in Collingwood, Ontario. So it was an easy drive to see Rush on that tour at the old Maple Leaf Gardens in TO. Red balloons falling from the ceiling at the encore...

I was living in Collingwood, Ontario. So it was an easy drive to see Rush on that tour at the old Maple Leaf Gardens in TO. Red balloons falling from the ceiling at the encore...

Wow, right in their back yard basically! The red balloons must've been awesome.

Long story for me but I was just a kid in bootcamp at the time so when I saw that album at the PX, when they finally gave us grunts a taste of normal life after months of mind games and physical abuse, it was like looking at something from a completely different world. It made me feel at ease knowing that Rush was still spreading their magickal message to the world. I actually was in awe when I held it in my hands and it spoke to me even though there was nothing to listen to it on, lol! You know what I mean.

Cheers man! Thanks for helping me remember that and Merry Christmas!

Edited by skullchrist

2 – What tour was it when Rush sold out three consecutive nights for the first time at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto? lor=#000000]3 – What album was the first that Terry Brown did not co-produce with Rush? [/color]

Here are the answers... see if I goofed on any of them -

1. A tricky one... Wales, 1977, AFTK. BUT - some consider Wales part of England while some do not.

2. Moving Pictures tour, 1981.

3. Dirty question... first album, Rush. He mixed it, he did not co-produced it.

4. AFTK album.

5. AFTK Tour. They opened for a few shows early in the tour, but then became the headliner - arenas in Canada and parts of the US and theaters in other regions of the US and England.

6. Max Webster

8. Hemispheres Tour. Tama drums for the Permanent Waves Tour in 1980.

9. AFTK went gold first, then 2112 shortly after.

10. Permanent Waves tour, St Louis, Keil Centre, 1980, 10,000 seater.

11. AFTK Tour, white and Redwood or Cherrywood? Not sure the correct name...

12. Howard Ungerleider

13. Pittsburgh, 12,000 or so.

14. In the courtyard of the studio in Wales.

15. AFTK Tour, Xanadu.

16. Sao Paulo, Brazil 60,000

17. AFTK Tour

18. Never played in Australia, oddly enough.

19. Hemispheres Tour

20. Alex looked so "rock" on the Hemispheres Tour with his curly hair. ALL 3 females in the audience nearly lost their shit...

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush