Why I don't like Tom Sawyer live...

MalformedEarthborn

My favorite version of TS is the Exit... one. Geddy could still sing really well and still had that thick bass tone courtesy of the 4001 Ric

In later tours it just didn't have the same impact with the Steinberger and dinky Wal basses plus the middle part synth voice he used circa ASOH was sort of lame

I could be wrong, but I think he used his Fender Jazz on the studio recording on TS. But, either way, live just didn't have that big fat bottom end sound.

• Like 1

My favorite version of TS is the Exit... one. Geddy could still sing really well and still had that thick bass tone courtesy of the 4001 Ric

In later tours it just didn't have the same impact with the Steinberger and dinky Wal basses plus the middle part synth voice he used circa ASOH was sort of lame

I could be wrong, but I think he used his Fender Jazz on the studio recording on TS. But, either way, live just didn't have that big fat bottom end sound.

That is correct

• Like 1

Not my favourite live song either... It's too hard to compete with the perfection of the production (mix, levels, drum sound etc) of the studio mix. It always sounds a bit too light live. Plus, like you, I've heard the goddam song a million times.

This right here. MP is such a great sounding album that it’s hard for any of the live versions, except YYZ, to be compete with the recorded versions.

I'd take a live Rush song over the studio one any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Tom Sawyer has become my fan Litmus test. All true Rush fans can agree that if you meet someone, mention Rush and the first thing out of their mouths is Tom Sawyer, they're not really a Rush fan.

I love the song but for whatever reason it became the Stairway for Rush and, like Stairway, should be banned from radio play like that one DJ did in Northern California.

Rush had to play it live as it's their most recognizable song. While I didn't use it during the show as a beer break, I could see why die-hards would.

And, yes, live, in the later years, Geddy just couldn't handle it. But that's age and bad technique. I always thought he maybe should have studied classical singing. His voice may have lasted.

I don't agree with your point about "all true Rush fans." I've been a fan since 1980, and for a while after that I was a die hard fan. MP (or PeW) is my favorite album by the band, and Tom is one of the best songs on it (they're all pretty close except VS). Why do you think a fan can't say that Tom Sawyer is their favorite song? Does it have to be I Think I'm Going Bald?

I heard an interview with Ian Gillan recently where he talked about not having performed Child in Time since his late 30s. Some songs, and Tom is one, are just too tough for a singer to perform live after a certain point, just like soon enough Usain Bolt won't be winning races. You can exercise and eat right and train all you want. Eventually it won't help.

I'd much rather hear Vital Signs than Tom Sawyer anyway. Different eyes see different things and all of that.

• Like 1

your-sisters-mustache-can-you-play-a-bass-line-like-nigel-used-to-on-big-bottom.jpg

The version of Limelight on that video/DVD is just about the only version that comes close to doing anything for me. Any other version just isn't as palatable to me.

• Like 1

Not my favourite live song either... It's too hard to compete with the perfection of the production (mix, levels, drum sound etc) of the studio mix.

Well one thing about the LIVE version is it is 100% analogue and to me sounds fuller and just better... I have thier 1981 concert on record and 8 track and that song sounds goregous!

Edited by Dude111

dont mind TS live at all, the one rush track i dont particularly enjoy to the full live is The spirit of radio, Al's guitar kind of lacks the sound generated in studio version too much
  • Like 1

Not my favourite live song either... It's too hard to compete with the perfection of the production (mix, levels, drum sound etc) of the studio mix. It always sounds a bit too light live. Plus, like you, I've heard the goddam song a million times.

This right here. MP is such a great sounding album that it’s hard for any of the live versions, except YYZ, to be compete with the recorded versions.

YYZ live has been rendered substandard to the studio version (not to mention idiotic) by the stupid singing. The whoooooaaaa whoooa whooa whooa...that started in Brazil only to be taken up by moronic Americans. IT'S A f***ing INSTRUMENTAL, PEOPLE!! AN INSTRUMENTAL!! SHUT THE f**k UP!!!

What drove me nuts a bit over the decades and especially on "Exit Stage Left" was I always thought "Tom Sawyer" and "YYZ" were always played a tad slower live.

Off topic: "Working Man" with that reggae part live sucked.

• Like 1

dont mind TS live at all, the one rush track i dont particularly enjoy to the full live is The spirit of radio, Al's guitar kind of lacks the sound generated in studio version too much

Lifeson's tone throughout Permanent Waves is his best for me.

• Like 2

Ya they didnt do that song right,sounds like 1/2 of its missing (Like it wasnt mixed properly)

I read they did played LIMELIGHT at this concert also.. Its too bad it wasnt on the record or 8 track... Thats the BEST song on Moving Pictures!

Lifeson's tone throughout Permanent Waves is his best for me.

Certainly nothing better

• Like 1

That "WHAT YOU SAY" note he dodged/dodges because by 1980 he was already losing his high range. Even on the Moving Pictures Tour he couldn't quite hit those notes on a lot of the shows.

Personally, I think Tom Sawyer sounds fine live. Not particularly better than the studio but not much worse. The only problem was how slow it was on some later tours.

Edited by Eel Yddeg