What songs from a Rush album sound like they couldn't been on the next?

rftag

- By-Tor and the Snow Dog--> Caress of Steel (in the vein of their "epics")

- As mentioned, Vital Signs--> Signals (shows the reggae rhythms which would be explored more on the following album)

- Digital Man--> Grace Under Pressure (The technology-themed concept fits songs like "The Body Electric". It also fits the "colder" sound of the album.)

- Emotion Detector--> Hold Your Fire (Has a mellower sound compared to the rest of Power Windows)

- Show Don't Tell--> Roll the Bones (The funk vibe reminds me of songs like the title track)

- Stick It Out--> Test for Echo (The heaviness and drop-D tuning is similar to songs on TFE)

- Far Cry--> Clockwork Angels (Fits the more "rocking" sound of that album)

The Pass and Presto would have sounded at home on Roll The Bones.

So, the inspiration for this question comes from a recent thread here where myself and at least one other forum member noted how Vital Signs, from MP, sounds like it could have been on Signals, even though the 2 albums by and large sound nothing alike.

I was wondering if there are any other cases like this forum members can think of.

Thoughts?

I think The Analog Kid easily could have fit on MP.

Every song from GUP, PoW and HYF could be on any one of those 3 albums IMO.

p/g and HYF are interchangeable? :no:

Pretty close.

Body Electric would fit on PW, and Red Lenses on HYF. A big difference among the albums is the kind of key sounds, with Grace having straight keys in contrast to the goofy Casio-type noises found to some degree on PW and to a fault on HYF.

Everyday Glory sounds like it doesn't belong on CP lyrically . The bass is also noticeably louder than the other CP songs like it was recorded and mixed seperately from the other songs

It was, apparently...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/24470-everyday-glory/page__st__20#entry852983

I remember reading an interview with Geddy somewhere, and he said "Everyday Glory" was mixed to analog, whereas the rest of CP was mixed to digital. He said the reason was that it had a special midrange quality which they wanted to bring out, anf an analog mix brought out the warmth they were looking for.

• Like 1