What songs from a Rush album sound like they couldn't been on the next?

rftag

So, the inspiration for this question comes from a recent thread here where myself and at least one other forum member noted how Vital Signs, from MP, sounds like it could have been on Signals, even though the 2 albums by and large sound nothing alike.

I was wondering if there are any other cases like this forum members can think of.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Show Don't Tell to Roll the Bones

Where's My Thing to Counterparts

Before and After to Fly By Night

Most of their albums have a distinct sound to me so that's the best I could come up with

• Like 1

So, the inspiration for this question comes from a recent thread here where myself and at least one other forum member noted how Vital Signs, from MP, sounds like it could have been on Signals, even though the 2 albums by and large sound nothing alike.

I was wondering if there are any other cases like this forum members can think of.

Thoughts?

I think The Analog Kid easily could have fit on MP.

Every song from GUP, PoW and HYF could be on any one of those 3 albums IMO.

• Like 2

I actually thought circumstances was on permanent waves for the longest time Edited by CyriK
  • Like 2

oh and i think countdown would fit on power windows, but not grace under pressure
  • Like 2

Thoughts?

p/g and HYF are interchangeable? :no:
  • Like 2

Thoughts?

Pretty close.

Thoughts?

Pretty close.

They have a hugely different sound. Songs, production, everything... That's like saying Fly by Night and Permanent Waves are the same thing

• Like 2

This is difficult for me due to the fact that their albums are so distinct in their presentation from the others. The earlier albums much more so than the later albums, however, when I hear songs from one album to the next (regardless of the time frame) they just sound so natural on the particular album they were presented on.

If I had to choose, I would say "Beneath, Between & Behind" could slot into CoS without sticking out too much...

• Like 1

Show Don't Tell to Roll the Bones

Where's My Thing to Counterparts

Before and After to Fly By Night

Most of their albums have a distinct sound to me so that's the best I could come up with

I think these are great examples... Especially, Where's My Thing >>> CP. Every time I hear Where's My Thing, I always think of CP first...
  • Like 2

Thoughts?

Pretty close.

They have a hugely different sound. Songs, production, everything... That's like saying Fly by Night and Permanent Waves are the same thing

Maybe it's more PoW and HYF. But when I listen to ASoH, I often have to remind myself which of those two albums certain songs come from.

• Like 2

I Think I'm Going Bald definitely sounds more like debut material; as mentioned Vital Signs sounds like Signals. I think a lot of AFTK and Hemispheres sound interchangeable. And SnA sounds like a bonus disc of outtakes from My Favorite Headache.
  • Like 2

I Think I'm Going Bald definitely sounds more like debut material; as mentioned Vital Signs sounds like Signals. I think a lot of AFTK and Hemispheres sound interchangeable. And SnA sounds like a bonus disc of outtakes from My Favorite Headache.

Some bonus...

Some bonus...

Haha! Exactly.

• Like 2

Thoughts?

Pretty close.

Maybe it's more PoW and HYF. But when I listen to ASoH, I often have to remind myself which of those two albums certain songs come from.

I agree with PoW and HYF. They could blend together for me. GUP seems to stand alone.

• Like 1

Thoughts?

Pretty close.

I agree with PoW and HYF. They could blend together for me. GUP seems to stand alone.

The first time I heard the Power Windows demos I thought to myself how much the songs sounded like P/G.

I actually thought circumstances was on permanent waves for the longest time

For awhile there i used to get Circumstances and Entre Nous mixed up with their respective albums.Both are short and similarly structured and both open up side two.
  • Like 1

'Could' or 'Couldn't'

I actually intended to write "could've" but it was autocorrected to "couldn't".

I'm not aware of any way to edit a question otherwise I would have corrected the typo.

Fortunately forum members appear to have understood my intended question, based on the answers (probably because my comments accompanying the question make it pretty clear what I was asking).

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out. I hadn't realized the error (even after the first time I read your response) in part because the question is truncated on my phone so I didn't see the error until I looked at my profile in full version mode today.

Oops!

[i pretty much only visit the forum on my phone using the mobile skin.]

Anyway, thanks again for pointing that out. I apologise for any confusion.

Edited by rftag

'Could' or 'Couldn't'

I actually intended to write "could've" but it was autocorrected to "couldn't".

I'm not aware of any way to edit a question otherwise I would have corrected the typo.

Fortunately forum members appear to have understood my intended question, based on the answers (probably because my comments accompanying the question make it pretty clear what I was asking).

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out. I hadn't realized the error (even after the first time I read your response) in part because the question is truncated on my phone so I didn't see the error until I looked at my profile in full version mode today.

Oops!

[i pretty much only visit the forum on my phone using the mobile skin.]

Anyway, thanks again for pointing that out. I apologise for any confusion.

Wait...what? :chickendance:
  • Like 1