In Defense of Greta van Fleet

winter17

Like Ghostbusters and Jumanji and any other remake, the remake is never as good.

These Greta van Zep losers should be embarrassed. Knowing that Robert Plant rolled his eyes the first time he heard them should be enough to make them try to do their own thing.

• Like 1

Like Ghostbusters and Jumanji and any other remake, the remake is never as good.

These Greta van Zep losers should be embarrassed. Knowing that Robert Plant rolled his eyes the first time he heard them should be enough to make them try to do their own thing.

Oh shush kids alive today are just so happy to have current rock kids to inspire them

I think Rival Sons does a much better job at tapping that retro vein.

And the always underrated Temperance Movement

I have not been exposed to this band yet. They're playing tonight on SNL, I will check them out tonight. I will have the definitive answer, afterwards we can close this thread.

I have not been exposed to this band yet. They're playing tonight on SNL, I will check them out tonight. I will have the definitive answer, afterwards we can close this thread.

It's Zeppelin with debut album-Geddy on vocals.

Is she hot?

Are you sure about that?

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Plant gave his approval to them. Maybe it was Page? I know at least one of them is good with what the band is doing.

• Like 1

It's Zeppelin with debut album-Geddy on vocals.

you're making it sound like it's actually good

So by this argument Led Zeppelin must not be as good as the myriad of blues and folk artists that "inspired" them?

• Like 1

I saw them last night on SNL, I don't really watch SNL anymore but I tuned in for this young band from the 313. My wife and I laughed a lot. I wasn't blown away by anything, although they seemed good enough that I'll check out some actual studio recordings. It wouldn't be the first time that an SNL live performance left a bad first impression.

I saw them last night on SNL, I don't really watch SNL anymore but I tuned in for this young band from the 313. My wife and I laughed a lot. I wasn't blown away by anything, although they seemed good enough that I'll check out some actual studio recordings. It wouldn't be the first time that an SNL live performance left a bad first impression.

I watched SNL last night because Rachel Brosnahan was hosting. She's both gorgeous and funny. The singer for Gretta is also very funny. He stands there like a statue while performing. Nice to see he found his way into the comedy for the show. I don't watch SNL every week but Kate McKinnon is always a standout in whatever she does.

I watched SNL last night because Rachel Brosnahan was hosting. She's both gorgeous and funny. The singer for Gretta is also very funny. He stands there like a statue while performing. Nice to see he found his way into the comedy for the show. I don't watch SNL every week but Kate McKinnon is always a standout in whatever she does.

I’m a big fan of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel although I haven’t seen season two yet. Kate McKinnon can almost save a crappy sketch, she is wonderful to watch.

On SNL, the lead singer was dressed like he modified the stuff he found at the thrift store. I'm not even sure the things he had under his feet were ever actually shoes or sandals. Seems like he's trying just a little too hard to be different, or maybe that's his look. If so, WTF?
  • Like 1

I’m a big fan of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel although I haven’t seen season two yet. Kate McKinnon can almost save a crappy sketch, she is wonderful to watch.

I thought season one of Mrs Maisle was better. Her parents get too much attention in the second season and I find both of those characters extremely annoying and unlikable most of the time. Luckily Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein are still great in it and save the show all the time.

Kate McKinnon is a great comedic talent. She's was the only tolerable thing about that shitty Ghostbusters reboot from a few years ago. Yeah, she'll pretty much make any sketch work.

British musician and progressive rock pioneer Steven Wilson has blasted GRETA VAN FLEET, calling the Michigan rockers "a terrible band" that is nothing more than a "third-rate impersonation of LED ZEPPELIN."

Despite the fact that GRETA VAN FLEET has managed to sell out shows all over the world, the four-piece has been criticized for channeling a sound uncannily similar to LED ZEPPELIN, with some music fans slamming singer Josh Kiszka for allegedly copy-and-pasting Robert Plant's vocal style.

During a recent interview with Denmark's "myROCK" podcast, Wilson brought up GRETA VAN FLEET as part of a general commentary on the current state of the music business.

"You know that terrible band GRETA VAN FLEET," Wilson said (hear audio around 31:50 mark below). "Do you know that band? I think they're absolutely abysmal. I think they're terrible. I think it's a joke. But they're an example of a band, because they're pretty young boys, they look like a boy band, they play this really piss-poor, third-rate impersonation of LED ZEPPELIN. But they're pretty and they've had all the help of the media, the commercial machine behind them, and they've been able to reach a massive audience almost overnight by playing third-rate music. And I don't believe for one minute that anyone will even remember who they are in 10 years. Now, I might be wrong — maybe they'll prove me wrong. Maybe they'll suddenly develop into a good band and make a good record. But the point is, at the moment, they're not. They're like a boy-band version of LED ZEPPELIN."

Wilson went on to say that he understands why GRETA VAN FLEET has managed to become such a sensation in a relatively short period of time while he has had to "struggle" for more than 25 years to get to where he is.

"I'm not naïve," he said. "I understand that a lot of the industry is based around being young, pretty, having the right kind of image and all that stuff. And I've never had any of those things. I've never been pretty. I mean, I have been young, but I'm not young now, so I understand. I'm 51 years old. That's not gonna work. So there is this frustration that the media has been slightly resistant to what I do."

• Like 2

Sounds like pretty sour grapes

They do suck. Now. Like Steven Wilson said, maybe they will eventually make a good record. As for now, don't believe the hype.

Syrinx just has a soft spot for bar bands, he's a Cowboys fan.

Personally I think he is a dickhead to shit on a new band like that. But there we go...
  • Like 2

British musician and progressive rock pioneer Steven Wilson has blasted GRETA VAN FLEET, calling the Michigan rockers "a terrible band" that is nothing more than a "third-rate impersonation of LED ZEPPELIN."

Despite the fact that GRETA VAN FLEET has managed to sell out shows all over the world, the four-piece has been criticized for channeling a sound uncannily similar to LED ZEPPELIN, with some music fans slamming singer Josh Kiszka for allegedly copy-and-pasting Robert Plant's vocal style.

During a recent interview with Denmark's "myROCK" podcast, Wilson brought up GRETA VAN FLEET as part of a general commentary on the current state of the music business.

"You know that terrible band GRETA VAN FLEET," Wilson said (hear audio around 31:50 mark below). "Do you know that band? I think they're absolutely abysmal. I think they're terrible. I think it's a joke. But they're an example of a band, because they're pretty young boys, they look like a boy band, they play this really piss-poor, third-rate impersonation of LED ZEPPELIN. But they're pretty and they've had all the help of the media, the commercial machine behind them, and they've been able to reach a massive audience almost overnight by playing third-rate music. And I don't believe for one minute that anyone will even remember who they are in 10 years. Now, I might be wrong — maybe they'll prove me wrong. Maybe they'll suddenly develop into a good band and make a good record. But the point is, at the moment, they're not. They're like a boy-band version of LED ZEPPELIN."

Wilson went on to say that he understands why GRETA VAN FLEET has managed to become such a sensation in a relatively short period of time while he has had to "struggle" for more than 25 years to get to where he is.

"I'm not naïve," he said. "I understand that a lot of the industry is based around being young, pretty, having the right kind of image and all that stuff. And I've never had any of those things. I've never been pretty. I mean, I have been young, but I'm not young now, so I understand. I'm 51 years old. That's not gonna work. So there is this frustration that the media has been slightly resistant to what I do."

Entirely true.

Posers. Boy band for sure.

If you think SW is hard on greta van fleet you ought to see what he thought about ipods back in the day....

• Like 2

Sounds like pretty sour grapes

Either way, it's a dickish way to talk about other musicians.

Since you have been listening to in absentia, give the sound of muzak another spin and think about it in relationship to his quote.

• Like 4