Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Signals (1982)

Segue Myles

Signals.jpg

Ok...now onto the third era, and an album I normally don't like at all. Will his change?

1982's Signals. I have held off long enough!

• Like 2

1. Subdivisions

Ok, I still don't like the echoey sound. It sounds like a demo to me. But the song? Uniquely Rush, a favourite of many. Some great lyrics, memorable chorus. "Be cool or be cast out" is a line I love.

So...not Something I find too exciting, but like Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures before it, Signals starts off with a classic fan favourite and a song no other band could have written.

8/10

• Like 2

2. Analog Kid

So...I remember really disliking the verses to this song. You know what? It has a wonderful energy, fast moving and I really like Lifeson's riffs here. The synths are superb and the chorus comes out of nowhere and sounds so magical, absolutely extraordinary.

How the hell did I ever think this was average???

Classic solo as well!

I sense a little warming to the production. It sounds really cool. The sound of the colour of egg blue. Does that make any sense?

I really love the electronics wow!

Ok...I was right to take a break. I can enjoy this minus the come down from an all time favourite album (Moving Pictures).

9/10

• Like 3

3. Chemistry

I normally hate this song. Yes. Hate.

Well...paying close attention...wow...that intro! The lyrics are quite cool. The way the song is structured is surprisingly progressive, this is a pop song written by a band that knows how to handle complexity. A little Police influence, but this is great!

Lifeson adds so much texture here, he is a master! Listening closely to this album I find myself drawn to details I have never noticed before.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

It feels good to revisit this album properly.

7/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 5

No break will seem long enough to survive the next two, Chemistry and Digital Man, which don't even have the advantage of being short.

Even the first album, with all its flaws, wasn't dull.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Is it odd that there is so much going on here, but all I can go on about is how great Lifeson sounds? He is surprisingly dominant, and he actually helps keep the electronic elements sounding grounded and the band...this is an exceptionally composed album.

Wow. I mean WOW.

• Like 2

No break will seem long enough to survive the next two, Chemistry and Digital Man, which don't even have the advantage of being short.

Even the first album, with all its flaws, wasn't dull.

I surprised myself with how much I liked Chemistry...now onto the next song.

• Like 1

4. Digital Man

Ok. This isn't a come down but the production sounds really muddy here. The vocals sound too echoey and the bass isn't as well mixed as I'd like. Alex again sounds phenomenal here, and this is quite an impressive song percussion wise.

Lyrically? Does nothing for me. It is a filler song. I am sure many love it. It definitely isn't a terrible song as I remember it, but having found a liking for Chemistry, I must say Digital Man sounds less than thrilling. Definitely here traces of Grace Under Pressure here, but minus the brilliance. Peart owns this track. Terrific performance.

Overall, weak but not poor.

6/10

EDIT: I feel I gave it a score of 6/10 because I thought I'd try and keep it positive.

No. There are elements to praise here but it's a song I just do not like. I also do not passionately hate it either.

4/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Overall so far, Signals is far from terrible but it's also not the masterpiece I hear so many Rush fans proclaim it as. I will say though that the first side is better than I gave it credit for. But no 10/10s so far.

I can be positive but I still don't feel overly enthusiastic. Digital Man had a lot of interesting things going on instrumentally but it definitely outstayed its welcome. Again, I really dislike the sound of this album. It just sounds flat, and so much reverb.

• Like 1

5. The Weapon

Now normally I'd bail after Digital Man, which I feel I just overscored.

The Weapon saves the album for me. This is a masterpiece of songwriting, with a strange disco ball shiny intro and terrific melodies. Again, not massively into the mixing of the vocals. But I don't hate it at all. The very opposite in fact! Best song yet. I have always loved this song, even if it still isn't quite up their with my very favourites.

Are their any killer live versions?

9/10

• Like 6

6. New World Man

Yeah. I know this was a big hit, but generally speaking I feel like world at large has forgotten this song, whilst Tom Sawyer and Spirit Of Radio have only become more popular.

Good little song. In the way it sounds it reminds me of Vital Signs from Moving Pictures, the verses are great. The chorus is catchy. I can't say it's my favourite song but as filler, it is ok.

Sorry guys I don't hate Signals as I thought I did but I definitely don't love it either.

5/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

7. Losing It

I LOVE THIS SONG AND ALWAYS HAVE

Terrific vocals, lyrics, production and mixing here is oddly perfect in contrast to the rest of the album. It feels like it could have been written for Permanent Waves but given a post-MP makeover. Just stunning. It's so moving and just achingly beautiful, and it builds and builds...this is an extraordinarily beautiful recording and the song is absolutely perfect.

The electric violin sounds amazing. It feels very spacey and atmospheric, and it has a real palpable sense of remorse and regret. Amazing lyrics:

Some are born to move the world

To live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about

The things we'd like to be

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it

For you, the blind who once could see

The bell tolls for thee, bell tolls for

For you, the blind who once could see

Bell tolls for thee, bell tolls for thee

One of my very favourite Rush songs. Always has been.

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

One of the most glorious fade outs of all time.
  • Like 1

8. Countdown

So a lot of people hate on this song...can I be honest? It's one of the better tracks on this album.

That's not to say it's the very best, but it's to my ears a really glorious love letter to science and I enjoy the sound effects and it ends a strange album very...strangely.

I would have swapped it for Losing It as an album closer myself.

Not a classic, but a good song.

8/10

• Like 3

So, Signals.

I praised most of this album. But for all the quality songs, this album sounds bored. I really truly believe that it would have sounded better with Peter Henderson. It sounds muddy, overall the faux reggae style gets boring. I find the vocals too echoey, and as an album experience, unlike the previous records, this feels disjointed. As if all the songs were put together at random and then sequenced in no particular order.

Chemistry, Digital Man and New World Man are strange songs. Chemistry I quite enjoyed, Digital Man is a mess, and New World Man is just...well it is a song on an album and it does no more than exist, well, as a song on an album.

But Analog Kid, Losing It, The Weapon and to a slightly lesser extent Subdivisions and Countdown were all very enjoyable listens, with Losing It standing out easily as my favourite track.

Overall rating:

6/10

Favourite song: Losing It

Least Favourite: toss up between Digital Man and New World Man

• Like 1

I've said on here before that Signals just doesn't do it for me. I like the first three tracks and Losing It but it's my least favourite 80s album. I thought you were almost too positive with some of your past rankings, but I think you're pretty spot on with this being a 6 or less. I'd say maybe a 4 Edited by MalformedEarthborn

The last really good album they did. Downhill all the way after this one.

I felt generous giving it a 6...

The last really good album they did. Downhill all the way after this one.

I remember bringing this one home and cocking my head at the vibe on Subdivisions, but it was still a great song. The Analog Kid made me smile and say, "Yup, that's them." Chemistry is my least favorite song on the album. Always has been. Digital Man gets a lot of heat around here, but it has always been a favorite to play along with for me. Geddy's work is fantastic. The Weapon is their heaviest synth song. Losing It has, IMO, kind of forced lyrics, but the song itself is beautiful. New World Man is what it is, Project 3:57, an effort to squeeze one more tune on the vinyl. Countdown has a special place in my heart because the live performance was fantastic, with the rocket launch video.

This is their last truly great album IMO before they ended with a couple of rockers.

I give this one an 8. It's not PeW or MP, but that's not a fair burden.

• Like 1

Signals was my first proper Rush album that I was anticipating it’s release as a fresh wide eyed new fan at the tender age of 12 years old. After dropping the needle, I was stunned at the lushness of the keyboards. A very warm album that has aged incredibly well. Neils drums sounded simply amazing as well as Geddy’s bass. Alex was pushed to the underside of the mix but yet has some of his very best guitar playing ever on record. Geddy to me.....this is the album he truly became a lead vocalist and really started to reign in the high pitched screeching and he really started to sing at a higher level.

It was a shock to the old guard, but for me being such a brand new Rush fan....I was so blown away at the direction and the inspiration to not simply rinse and repeat the success of Moving Pictures. This was also the first time I would see Rush live (back to back nights I may add). I don’t remember very much about every detail of the show, but I can tell you the crowd was never enthusiastic every time Geddy said “we would like to do another one from Signals”. They played the entire album except Losing It. Countdown was so cool. I remember that well. I also remember the abbreviated version of The Camera Eye. And Geddy singing “One likes to believe in the spirit of baseball”.

Anyway a powerful, rich and warm Rush album that has aged just about better than any of their records in the catalog. They were so ahead of their time with the approach on this record.

9/10

Ranked #4 overall for me in the catalog.

• Like 2