Your five favorite Lerxt solos from five different album groupings~

tks95747

NOTE: The following groupings of albums is NOT intended to classify, categorize or otherwise codify the albums in any logical fashion other than to divide them up into as equal a number of albums as possible for the five groupings--

***Feel free to choose your solos from live albums as well for the relevant grouping of albums...***

FOLLOWING ARE MY FIVE FAVORITE LERXST SOLOS FROM THE LISTED FIVE ALBUM GROUPINGS...

I am interested to know what yours are~

RUSH >>>>>2112 - - - The "By-Tor and the Snowdog" solo from ATWAS

AFTK >>>>>MP - - - The "LVS 'A Lerxst in Wonderland'" solo from HEMISPHERES (I think this is the correct part-Please correct me if I am wrong)

SIGNALS >>>>>HYF - - - The "The Analog Kid" solo from SIGNALS

PRESTO >>>>>T4E - - - The "Cut to the Chase" solo from CP

VT >>>>>CA - - - The "Headlong Flight" solo from CA

~~~

• Like 2

From the first group, Soliloquy in 2112

From the second, tougher, but probably Xanadu

From the third, either Analog Kid or Marathon

From the fourth... idk for sure. Not a lot of super memorable solos from this period onwards.

From the fifth, probably Clockwork Angels or The Garden

• Like 1

From the first group, Soliloquy in 2112

From the second, tougher, but probably Xanadu

From the third, either Analog Kid or Marathon

From the fourth... idk for sure. Not a lot of super memorable solos from this period onwards.

From the fifth, probably Clockwork Angels or The Garden

Yeah, I had a hard time choosing between the solo in Headlong Flight and The Garden... For emotional impact, The Garden by a mile....
  • Like 2

"No One At the Bridge" section of Fountain

"A Lerxst in Wonderland" section of La Villa (maybe Alex's best solo ever)

"Open Secrets" (extremely underrated)

"Cold Fire"

"The Main Monkey Business" middle section

All of those are fantastic.... Probably my favorite of those you chose (which I have not already chosen) would be the "No One At The Bridge" solo

First Grouping - No One At The Bridge

Second Grouping - A Lerxt In Wonderland from Exit Stage Left

Third Grouping - Digital Man (and honestly this was the hardest grouping to choose from because despite popular opinion.....Alex created some of his most passionate and articulate solo’s ever. Red Sector A, Afterimage, Between the Wheels, Analog Kid, Marathon, Middle Town Dreams, Mission, open secrets...so much Alex brilliance).

Fourth Grouping - Bravado

Fifth Grouping - Faithless

• Like 1

1st working man

2nd lerxt in wonderland

3rd gets murky here. after signals its turn the page

4th ? Alexs low point.

5th nocturne. Not really a solo. Just aggressive balls out ripping. A return to form imo. I really am digging vt and rate it higher than snakes or clockwork

• Like 1

Rush - 2112: I'll probably say Working Man. This was a difficult category though, as this was Rush in their most Zeppelin, and as such, there's a lot of classic rock, blues-infused solos to choose from. But I'm going to give it to Working Man, because I think that solo turns a lot of heads, both in 1974 and now.

AF2K - Moving Pictures: Easy, this is Limelight. It's not flashy, but it perfectly serves the feeling the song is going for. Flashy solos don't always do it for me, and this is the best example. This could be the best solo in Rush' catalogue, and it's so emotive.

Signals - Hold Your Fire: Between the Wheels. Once again, Alex is perfectly serving the song. This solo just works great to soar above the rhythm line. And it gives you that frantic feeling the song was going for. And all of it perfectly leads into a final crescendo, a final push, a new and final altitude for the song as it leads straight into the closing chorus.

Presto - Test for Echo: Cut to the Chase. "Hey Alex, it's been awhile since you just cut loose like on Freewil. Can you still do that kinda stuff?... Oh.... Yes you can.... Oh my!"

Vapor Trails - Clockwork Angels: Subject to change on my end, but right now I'm giving it to Earthshine (remixed). Some might not even call it a guitar solo, but it's about as close as Alex ever got to stepping into straight-up Shoegaze, and I think that counts for something.

• Like 1

Rush - 2112: I'll probably say Working Man. This was a difficult category though, as this was Rush in their most Zeppelin, and as such, there's a lot of classic rock, blues-infused solos to choose from. But I'm going to give it to Working Man, because I think that solo turns a lot of heads, both in 1974 and now.

AF2K - Moving Pictures: Easy, this is Limelight. It's not flashy, but it perfectly serves the feeling the song is going for. Flashy solos don't always do it for me, and this is the best example. This could be the best solo in Rush' catalogue, and it's so emotive.

Signals - Hold Your Fire: Between the Wheels. Once again, Alex is perfectly serving the song. This solo just works great to soar above the rhythm line. And it gives you that frantic feeling the song was going for. And all of it perfectly leads into a final crescendo, a final push, a new and final altitude for the song as it leads straight into the closing chorus.

Presto - Test for Echo: Cut to the Chase. "Hey Alex, it's been awhile since you just cut loose like on Freewil. Can you still do that kinda stuff?... Oh.... Yes you can.... Oh my!"

Vapor Trails - Clockwork Angels: Subject to change on my end, but right now I'm giving it to Earthshine (remixed). Some might not even call it a guitar solo, but it's about as close as Alex ever got to stepping into straight-up Shoegaze, and I think that counts for something.

Those are all fantastic choices. I'm right there with you, especially, on Cut to the Chase. I never thought I 'd ever hear something like that from Alex at that stage in their career. Edited by tks95747

1st - Something for Nothing (ATWAS)

2nd - Freewill (ESL)

3rd - Kid Gloves

4th - Cut to the Chase

5th - None

I totally agree with you on the last category. I simply forced my self to choose one. It appears you are just a little more averse to pain than I am ;)
  • Like 1

1st - Something for Nothing (ATWAS)

2nd - Freewill (ESL)

3rd - Kid Gloves

4th - Cut to the Chase

5th - None

I totally agree with you on the last category. I simply forced my self to choose one. It appears you are just a little more averse to pain than I am ;)

:LOL:

If I had to chose something that cause me to grab the Ibuprofen, it would be Earthshine from RIR, but it's not really a solo....so...

• Like 1