John Mayall

grasbo

According to Ultimate Classic Rock Alex Lifeson appears on John Mayall's latest album Nobody Told Me.Although Rush were heavy blues rock in their early days it is going to be interesting to hear what he does on the track Evil and Here to Stay since John is a strict bluesman and i haven't heard Alex play any strict blues for years,if ever.(correct me if i am wrong!).Hmmmm. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1

According to Ultimate Classic Rock Alex Lifeson appears on John Mayall's latest album Nobody Told Me.Although Rush were heavy blues rock in their early days it is going to be interesting to hear what he does on the track Evil and Here to Stay since John is a strict bluesman and i haven't heard Alex play any strict blues for years,if ever.

The intro to The Way The Wind Blows is the bluesiest I can think of from Alex.

According to Ultimate Classic Rock Alex Lifeson appears on John Mayall's latest album Nobody Told Me.Although Rush were heavy blues rock in their early days it is going to be interesting to hear what he does on the track Evil and Here to Stay since John is a strict bluesman and i haven't heard Alex play any strict blues for years,if ever.(correct me if i am wrong!).Hmmmm.

You're wrong. You heard Alex play strict blues just yesterday.

Alex played some tasty blues licks in Available Light, Ghost of a Chance, The Way The Wind Blows and Bravest Face. His guitar playing in La Villa Strangiato is very bluesy as well.

Yes i understand that they are blues based solos but they are modern sounding in tone and style.As i said Mayall is a strict bluesman and likes to keep things authentic and straight ahead.I think Alex would have been told to leave his effects processers,etc at home and turn up with a Marshall amp combo and a lead going straight to a Les Paul guitar and put on his Eric Clapton hat.One of the other guitarists who is making guest appearance is Todd Rundgren who again is someone i don't associate with straight blues.Joe Bonomassa will fit straight in.I hope what Alex did would be a return to what he did on the first album all those years ago because i can't picture his todays style and sound fitting in with John's bag.But perhaps the old boy,he's looking good at 85,is getting with the times and updating his sound.I have a couple of his later cds and they are good but they could use a little sparkle.

According to Ultimate Classic Rock Alex Lifeson appears on John Mayall's latest album Nobody Told Me.Although Rush were heavy blues rock in their early days it is going to be interesting to hear what he does on the track Evil and Here to Stay since John is a strict bluesman and i haven't heard Alex play any strict blues for years,if ever.

The intro to The Way The Wind Blows is the bluesiest I can think of from Alex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SojuN3Dg9Yc

The Alex modus operandi with guest solos is send in a boatload of solo and have Mayall choose the one he wants.

Sadly, 90 percent of the genius of Alex Lifeson is left on the cutting room floor unheard.

If it’s unheard on the cutting room floor, how would we know it’s genius?

The Alex modus operandi with guest solos is send in a boatload of solo and have Mayall choose the one he wants.

Sadly, 90 percent of the genius of Alex Lifeson is left on the cutting room floor unheard.

If it’s unheard on the cutting room floor, how would we know it’s genius?

Based on Geddy's comments, his work with other artists and his live playing. Of course "we" may not know, but I'm fairly convinced that if I ever got the chance to hear it, it would be genius.

LouderSound.com has posted the Jeff Healey Band cover 'Evil And Here To Stay' that John Mayall covered featuring Alex Lifeson here today.

Al's playing very loose there. It sounds like it's almost 100% improv.

Lovely tone,sounds like he just plugged in a Les Paul into a blues combo amp and laid back with some tasty licks.Thank God he didn’t overdo it like Gary Moore or Jeff Healey(R.I.P) often did,no disrespect.Good to see Alex going back to his roots.
  • Like 1

LouderSound.com has posted the Jeff Healey Band cover 'Evil And Here To Stay' that John Mayall covered featuring Alex Lifeson here today.

Al's playing very loose there. It sounds like it's almost 100% improv.

He needs a producer.

Edited by grasbo

That’s what the blues is,improvisation,start arranging and working it out it becomes forced and stale

Lovely tone,sounds like he just plugged in a Les Paul into a blues combo amp and laid back with some tasty licks.

I was thinking Strat.

Lovely tone,sounds like he just plugged in a Les Paul into a blues combo amp and laid back with some tasty licks.

I was thinking Strat.

...perhaps his refurbished Hentor ?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/redcirclestar/Alex1_zpsb779bdc2.jpg

Could be.