Cold Chisel (East)

Midnight Oil (Ten to One)

Devo ( Are We Not Men?)

X (More Fun In The New World)

Men At Work (Cargo)

• Like 4

Four come to mind as very easy:

Lacuna Coil (Karmacode)

Nightwish (Endless Forms Most Beautiful)

Paradise Lost (ouch...so many...probably...erm...Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us)

Rush (honestly weird this one...their eras are so distinct my favourite depends on what era I enjoy the most. Lately it has been for a good year Vapor Trails).

A fifth?

Oh gosh...not so easy. Right now? Erm...

He's dropped a little but Bruce Springsteen is the most likely authentic and correct choice to round off my top five.

So:

Bruce Springsteen (probably Born To Run or The River)

Love to see Springsteen and Rush back towards the top for you!

I never put Springsteen on these lists (same as Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty and Taylor Swift), because I don't think of them as "bands".

But in all honesty they are all right up there.

Getting back into Rush has been so wonderful. They never stopped meaning a lot to me, I just needed a break after intensely listening to them for ages.

Also...crazy as this sounds...but talking about Rush every day on this forum, and for ages it got really negative (around R40), I sort of got a little jaded against them.

• Like 1

Also, a band like Fleet Foxes is right up there with these bands for me, but I hold back the rating because to me, at less than twenty years old and only three full length albums, it still feels premature. I feel they are still really young and I am growing with them.
  • Like 1

No order:

The Beatles

Wire

Led Zeppelin

Rush (not counting PoW through T4E; listening to those albums is like hearing your spouse get ready in the morning; not the prettiest but you put it in context)

Radiohead or The Church, depending on my mood

Very hard leaving out some other bands. Apologies to Dave Gedge, Andy Partridge, and their mates, for example.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

For me it comes down to who I can listen to any day, any time, and in what ever mood I’m in. These 5 fit that:

Rush

Pink Floyd

Bob Marley & The Wailers ((yes, this is a BAND and not a solo artist))

Led Zeppelin

R.E.M. ((though I’m mostly interested in their 80s stuff, the material in that decade is so strong))

Every time I return to R.E.M. I find they're better than I thought they were. I just listened to Green today for the first time probably in years, and everything that didn't click before clicked. Also where should one start with Bob Marley?

I quoted my own post regarding R.E.M just now. They’d be my #6.

As for Bob Marley & The Wailers, I recommend you start with a nice, thick blunt and a tasty Cuban sandwich :blaze:

j/k

Seriously, and ironically, I’d start with Exodus. That or Catch a Fire. Not sure if they’re best to start with, I’m just saying they’re my two favorites. Can’t really go wrong what ever you start with though.

Seeing as I can't take you up on that blunt, how about I just (listen to) Catch A Fire? lol, thx!

:LOL:

No prob. I haven’t smoked in 8 years but I listen to Bob & The Wailers at least a few times a month.

If pressed, I’d say I like Exodus more than Catch a Fire.

• Like 1

At this point...

Mainstream classic rock

Steely Dan (Aja)

Dire Straits (Making Movies)

Jethro Tull (A Passion Play)

Van Halen (Diver Down)

Pink Floyd (The Wall)

Quirkier lesser knowns/less popular

Cold Chisel (East)

Midnight Oil (Ten to One)

Devo ( Are We Not Men?)

X (More Fun In The New World)

Men At Work (Cargo)

Like for Devo

• Like 1

The Beatles

Van Halen

Black Sabbath

Rush

The Rolling Stones

I want to put Soundgarden on the list, but It’s hard to bump any of those bands.

Reminding me once again that I sorely need to get on to listening more to Black Sabbath.

• Like 2

Does Bob Marley sound as good if one is not stoned?

Absolutely

I read that wrong. I thought it said “Does Bob Marley sound good if one is not stoned?” so I answered as I did.

Now that I see that important “as”, my answer is: That’s tough. I was stoned nearly every time I listened to Bob for well over a decade. Now I’m looking at a little less than a decade of never being stoned when listening. Two different people and ages and two very different pairs of ears.

“As good”? Hmm...I really can’t answer for the younger, stoned JB but I can say that I listen a lot more to the lyrics now and can see a lot more of what Marley was saying as opposed to simply enjoying the melody and mood (and munchies).

:blaze:

As of today. Can't say this will never change, but I'm pretty sure #1 won't. Then again, during the synth era it did, so I suppose it's possible. Tastes do change, so never say never. When I'm 85 it might be the artist that best records the sounds of the ocean.

1. Rush

2. Maiden

3. Sabbath

4. Beatles

5. The Offspring

• Like 2

I'll go with (more or less in order):

Rush

The Grateful Dead

Led Zeppelin

The Allman Brothers

Gov't Mule

Just missing the cut would be: Yes, Black Crowes, Jimi Hendrix

• Like 1

The Beatles

Van Halen

Black Sabbath

Rush

The Rolling Stones

I want to put Soundgarden on the list, but It’s hard to bump any of those bands.

No Aerosmith?

They were the other one I tried to find a spot for.

I'll be honest, I thought your list would be:

Aerosmith

Boston

The Cars

Dropkick Murphys

NKOTB

With Loggins and Messina missing out only because so few of their songs were about inviting people to come to Boston. (I think they did that song, and I'm too lazy to look it up.)

• Like 2