Revealing Quote By Geddy Lee on Rush Retirement

Tony R

Interesting that he mentions that “since then” they’ve remained friends which suggests there was some friction in the initial decision.

It's interesting to YOU, because you're still obsessed with blaming Neil Peart for everything and calling him a selfish prick. :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

I don't find him selfish.

:LOL: Nice intentional omission.

I figured you'd catch that. ;)
  • Like 1

Interesting that he mentions that “since then” they’ve remained friends which suggests there was some friction in the initial decision.

It's interesting to YOU, because you're still obsessed with blaming Neil Peart for everything and calling him a selfish prick. :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

Ok, the paper asked the question and Lee chose to reply. That suggests that there is interest, does it not?

Read the quotes, the choice of words are interesting and important.

He states that over time he started to understand that Peart’s decision to retire was the right decision for him. Since then (presumably when he came to understand) they have remained good friends.

I suspect you've already put more thought into what he said than Geddy himself. He was speaking off-the-cuff; I wouldn't put much stock into anything he says.

Edited by JARG

Ok, the paper asked the question and Lee chose to reply. That suggests that there is interest, does it not?

He states that over time he started to understand that Peart’s decision to retire was the right decision for him. Since then (presumably when he came to understand) they have remained good friends.

Geddy has realized that he WAS in denial about Rush ending at that time (which was understandable.) While that may have been an epiphany for him, it wasn't to some of us.

• Like 2

I'm perfectly satisfied with R40 being the end. I mean sure I can't see them in person (I became a fan RIGHT AFTER the tour ended), but I like how they ended with one last album and one last tour. Not like The Who or The Rolling Stones, who have stopped making anything new and just keep trotting out their oldies, over and over. Also, "The Garden" works perfectly as a career closer, at least for me.

My only complaint is that I hoped to hear them popping up on various solo+collabs. They're like 65 or so- not terribly old by classic rock standards (Bob Dylan is 77 and still plays dozens of shows a year). But aside from Geddy's appearance at RRHOF, they haven't been heard from. I'd like to see some solo work from them, or guest appearances.

Edited by Eel Yddeg

The article goes on to say:

Neil's decision was also based on the fact that, apparently, he was the only one who could hear what was coming from the vocal monitors during "Lakeside Park" on the final tour

Not really sure what this means since vocal range wise this song is cake for Geddy. I saw Geddy sing this song for this tour and when they played Lakeside Park it was beyond rapturous for me and my 'brothers'. It's my favorite Rush song of all time on my favorite Rush album of all time, on my favorite album of all time. I'll let you wrap your head around that for a second...

Edited by skullchrist

Neil's decision was also based on the fact that, apparently, he was the only one who could hear what was coming from the vocal monitors during "Lakeside Park" on the final tour

Indeed, Ged's voice unlistenable to at times at the end, wouldn't be surprising if this prime influencer in Neil's decision

According to Neil, he was in pain and it was killing him to continue playing, he said nothing about Geddy's voice, I would like to hear that final tour and judge for myself as regards Geddy's voice.

Apparently it's interesting to you too....

Not really sure what this means since vocal range wise this song is cake for Geddy. I saw Geddy sing this song for this tour and when they played Lakeside Park it was beyond rapturous for me and my 'brothers'. It's my favorite Rush song of all time on my favorite Rush album of all time, on my favorite album of all time. I'll let you wrap your head around that for a second...

Go back and listen to "Lakeside Park" on ATWAS and then come back and we'll discuss

Apparently it's interesting to you too....

Hardly.

I don't go out of my way to look for evidence of friction or conflict within the band. I've never had any interest in such pettiness.

The ongoing vitriol towards Neil for retiring doesn't interest me, either. It's childish and it's a very unpleasant part of The Rush Forum.

• Like 3

Indeed, Ged's voice unlistenable to at times at the end, wouldn't be surprising if this prime influencer in Neil's decision

You know, I've often wonder if this was an unsaid reason from Peart. Because I've got to agree with him, and it's not to choose sides within the band or anything... but honestly, the last 8 years or so, since about the Snakes and Arrows tour, Ged was really, really struggling and really, really not coming out the other side vocally.

To that end, maybe Peart felt that Geds voice just wasn't doing the songs justice. Remember, the words are his.

I suspect you've already put more thought into what he said than Geddy himself. He was speaking off-the-cuff; I wouldn't put much stock into anything he says.

You take this agnosticism thing too far. That quote does not exist in isolation, and there was obvious bitterness in some post-Peart interviews.

You take this agnosticism thing too far. That quote does not exist in isolation, and there was obvious bitterness in some post-Peart interviews.

I'm with you Tony. This is exactly how O read it and cannot imagine it implies anything else but this.

Because it's so f***ing obvious.

• Like 1

I don't find him selfish.

:LOL: Nice intentional omission.

:LOL:

Just found that.

:LOL:

Usual goose exchange...

[sCENE: at a local watering hole]

goose: You look a little down. Everything okay, bud?

goose’s close pal: Man, last night my wife called me a fat, lazy asshole.

goose: Don’t let it get to you too much. If it’s any consolation, I don’t think you’re that overweight.

:P

You know, I've often wonder if this was an unsaid reason from Peart. Because I've got to agree with him, and it's not to choose sides within the band or anything... but honestly, the last 8 years or so, since about the Snakes and Arrows tour, Ged was really, really struggling and really, really not coming out the other side vocally.

To that end, maybe Peart felt that Geds voice just wasn't doing the songs justice. Remember, the words are his.

That would be an absolute dickhead move from Peart. So it's quite possible actually. I can only imagine how many times over the last 40 years that Geddy would look at a sheet of lyrics Neil would hand him and think, "What the f**k???

Tobes of Hades

Stealthily attacking...

Naked in our unity...

On my ship, the Rocinante...

There is unrest in the forest...

We are planets to each other...

He's a little bit afraid of dyin, but he's a lot more afraid of your lyin..

One humanoid escapee...

Tough times demand tough songs...

Atmospheric changes...

Packaged like a rebel or a hero...

Hopin for heaven, hoping for a fine romance...

When we got to unconditional love...

Net boy, net girl...

I like that show where they solve all the murders...

Geddy's been singing shit sandwiches for 4 decades and Neil is upset????

• Like 1

Complete nonsense as Neil wrote in his book how he felt how good Geddy sounded and how he had managed too preserve his range (!)

I was thinking that too.

Some fans might think Geddy’s vocal abilities have gone down (myself included) but I never thought Peart thought so even up to the end.

• Like 2

I think they stopped right at the right time. Geddy was only singing with a fraction of his previous ability and it was time to end. As much as I would have liked to have seen a tour of instrumentals a lot of people wouldn’t be interested in that.
  • Like 1

Has Olivia started playing the drums yet? The road makes for a great classroom.

Neil could still write insipid inspiring lyrics.

The man wrote lyrics so complex and world-changing, that they’d be worthy of forum signatures

Truly a legend when it comes to the pen

• Like 1

Has Olivia started playing the drums yet? The road makes for a great classroom.

Neil could still write insipid inspiring lyrics.

The man wrote lyrics so complex and world-changing, that they’d be worthy of forum signatures

Truly a legend when it comes to the pen

This guy knows what he's talking about. He's promoted Neil's most "inspired" lyrics in his signature for years now