Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: 2112 (1976)

Segue Myles

MI0003979839.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Is this one of the bands finest albums, or is it iconic only for two aspects: that gamechanging title track and that unforgettable front cover?

• Like 2

One of the best. The first two and last segments of 2112 are perhaps Rush's most sublime moments, and while the story drags in parts, it's still a top 5 Rush song.

And Something for Nothing and A Passage to Bangkok are great in their own right.

• Like 2

1. 2112

Well let me say one thing to start off this review: 2112, as a story, has moved me to tears. I find the subject really captivating for a song like this. The music, lyrics and vocals, together with sound effects and PERFECT pacing and sequencing all add up to a song that truly is epic. I would be a massive Rush fan if all they ever released was this song.

Now I noted on earlier reviews for epic songs that the lyrics and subject meant little to me. And I stand by that: The Necromancer, By-Tor and Lamneth are bloody awesome music experiences! They fulfil all my desires as a music fan based only on the rock n roll excess of it all. Amazingly entertaining!

But 2112 is different. The way Geddy performs is the stuff of legend. He plays every part so well it is easy to imagine the story and the characters in my mind! I hear the poor young chap, I feel his repression because I myself have had music effectively outlawed by my parents in the name of religion. I have feared being caught with Opeth and Trivium albums, for fear of having them banished, even if only for one song or a nasty looking album cover.

I have excitedly in secret played music that would HORRIFY my parents and the religious people who had such a strong hold on my upbringing and my own state of mind.

The priests banshee wailing, I have to say, really struck a chord with me. That aggressive zealotry has been abundantly hurled at me over the years, so much so I felt terrified for my own soul many a night! But still...the music that I love never failed to draw me back, even if I was back then aware it could potentially be "evil" and "corruptive". This song, in 2011 when I first heard it, really struck a chord with me.

"What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart

And joyously screams out its pain

Sounds that build high like a mountain

Or notes that fall gently like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder

The people will all see its light

Let them all make their own music

The Priests praise my name on this night."

These lyrics remind me of when I discovered my own personal favourite metal bands: Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Mastodon, Trivium, Iron Maiden, Opeth: I wanted so much to tell my friends at the time (I was a Jehovah's Witness and so were they) that these bands were NOT evil. Alas, most were judgemental and I was often called out for the music I loved. I threw away hundreds of albums, convinced I was doing the right thing (same went for my fantasy novels too).

2112 is honestly the story of so many kids who love rock n roll, but live in religious households that fear anything remotely out of their normal comfort zone. THAT IS THE DEVIL'S MUSIC! I am even guilty of having said as such myself ON THIS FORUM. Fearfully avoiding many metal bands in case they really were touched by Satan. The influence of my own priests of Syrinx left me at times repressed and downtrodden.

The ending of the song:

"My spirits are low in the depths of despair

My lifeblood...spills over."

For reasons other than just music, the influence of religion and the teachings have left me in such a state I was virtually suicidal to an extreme. It was because of places like this forum and eventually the finding of my partner that provided me sense of physical and mental stability that helped me find peace, both inwardly and outwardly, that I can sit here and type out my musings on this sublime work of art.

But I have been moved to tears listening to this story and knowing that for many, the influence of a "higher power" via the methods of men in charge, is too much for them to handle.

2112 is a powerful song, a song that I can truly relate too. It's beautiful and soulful, epic yet intimate, it rocks as hard as you could ever wish, but it has heart and it moves me so damn much.

The perfect metal song. The perfect conceptual piece. The perfect story, with the most perfect storytelling. I love it.

It makes me so sad to note that that our protagonist did not win his own story. But the end of 2112 is true to life, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 5

One of the best. The first two and last segments of 2112 are perhaps Rush's most sublime moments, and while the story drags in parts, it's still a top 5 Rush song.

And Something for Nothing and A Passage to Bangkok are great in their own right.

Never once drags for me!

2. A Passage To Bangkok

Well, I rarely play the second side. I often found it to be very underwhelming.

But listening to this second side with a very open mind, I find it terrific! This song has the same silly feel as the previous records I Think I'm Going Bald, but it's better produced, and it has another sublime array of riffs from Lifeson. It grooves hard and that chorus is exceptional! I love the little oriental notes, and it changes the tone immediately from the title track that came before.

I enjoyed this song so much more than I remembered!

9/10

• Like 2

3. The Twilight Zone

Oh my bloody god!

THIS IS A GREAT SONG! It has an eerie vibe, and I know I keep saying this but Lifeson is a king on the guitar! This song has depth of sound, terrific band chemistry and a phenomenal vocal performance from Geddy, who uses his lower register to deliver a chorus that is so quietly sinister it evokes the spirit of Edgar Allen Poe. I really loved this song.

The first time I played 2112 I remember really liking this song. I was right to do so! Fantastic!

10/10

• Like 3

4. Lessons

This song sounds like a combination of Lakeside Park and In The End. Of all the songs on this album, this one most evokes the spirit of earlier albums. Tightly written, Lifeson still manages to dominate with explosive riffs and as they spiral towards the end of the song, I find myself thinking more and more that the only reason side 2 doesn't get as much love as it should is because the first half is so bloody masterful. But the songs on the second side match the very best of the first three albums, and the songwriting and performances from the band in their 1976 element is so vastly superior to where they were just a year previously, it could almost be mistaken for a far later effort.

A year separates 2112 from Fly By Night. The growth in musical ability and songwriting confidence is outrageous!

Lessons is my least favourite song on this album. But it is a great song.

8/10

• Like 2

5. Tears

THIS SONG IS SO PERFECT!

A great Rush ballad, Tears is atmospheric, the layers of sounds good and build a ghostly feel that once again brings to my mind the ghostly tales of Victorian literature. It has a darkness and sadness that is truly spellbinding. How is Tears not more highly revered?

TEARS IS ONE OF THE VERY BEST RUSH SONGS OF ALL TIME!

It takes the most affecting elements of the title track and takes it to the max, but in the most gentle, and emotional way possible. Beautiful song. Absolutely beautiful. How did I ever overlook this gem?

10/10

• Like 5

6. Something For Nothing

I am literally dead. Fuxking deceased.

Metal to the max, this is a thunderous and powerful song that riffs so hard it literally cut me.

I take it back. My wig has been snatched. 2112 has an amazing second side!

This song gets:

9/10

• Like 3

2112 is a phenomenal achievement. I would say I still rank the second side lower than the first, but songs like The Twilight Zone and Tears rank very highly on my Rush radar. I am actually replaying Tears right now. The keyboards are lush, the lyrics are beautiful and the emotions...I listen to bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation, who often have ballads that are shamelessly romantic and poetic, and this song belongs alongside all my favourite ballads from those two groups.

I really love 2112. Is it perfect? There are songs that are not to my mind absolutely worthy of that acclaim. But taken as a whole, from start to finish, I have to give 2112 a

10/10

Highlights:

The Twilight Zone

Tears

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

There’s a darn good reason 2112, album and song, is my go to recommendation for Rush newbies. Segue has illustrated it perfectly.

There’s a darn good reason 2112, album and song, is my go to recommendation for Rush newbies. Segue has illustrated it perfectly.

EDIT: I mean, also, when I had the chance to write an extended essay about Rush, I went for 2112 over the 4 Rush albums I rank above it. I think that as well speaks volumes about the weight of this record.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

The songs are gems, but - along with Caress of Steel and Moving Pictures - the tone of this album defines RUSH for me. Alex's guitar, Neil's drums, Geddy bass and voice... It's also got a perfect balance of the band's hard-rocking origins and their nerdy fantasy leanings (the latter of which, for me, loses its way on AFTK and Hemi side 1).
  • Like 1

The songs are gems, but - along with Caress of Steel and Moving Pictures - the tone of this album defines RUSH for me. Alex's guitar, Neil's drums, Geddy bass and voice... It's also got a perfect balance of the band's hard-rocking origins and their nerdy fantasy leanings (the latter of which, for me, loses its way on AFTK and Hemi side 1).

As a massive fan of fantasy, A Farewell To Kings always had my support. For years it was my favourite Rush album!

• Like 1

Just curious - are you listening to the records with headphones or blasting through stereo speakers. I'm guessing you're listening to each song, then writing your thoughts - or are you listening and writing at the same time?

Again, just curious - I talk to my students a lot about the atmosphere they create for themselves when they read or listen to music. It has to do with absorbing the experience.

• Like 1

Just curious - are you listening to the records with headphones or blasting through stereo speakers. I'm guessing you're listening to each song, then writing your thoughts - or are you listening and writing at the same time?

Again, just curious - I talk to my students a lot about the atmosphere they create for themselves when they read or listen to music. It has to do with absorbing the experience.

Through headphones (my favourite way to listen to Rush). I write these reviews as each song plays, or just after it finished. 2112 I wrote everything I feel as it played because the experience I have with this song is hard to describe when it isn't on.

• Like 2

Through headphones (my favourite way to listen to Rush). I write these reviews as each song plays, or just after it finished. 2112 I wrote everything I feel as it played because the experience I have with this song is hard to describe when it isn't on.

Twilight Zone is fantastic on headphobes.
  • Like 2

Twilight Zone is fantastic on headphobes.

As was Tears! Oh my god...TWICE!

• Like 1

As a massive fan of fantasy, A Farewell To Kings always had my support. For years it was my favourite Rush album!

AFTK is fantastic, in every sense. I love when Rush get extra nerdy.

Caress Of Steel really works for me on that level too! I think of Caress Of Steel as the little brother of A Farewell To Kings.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Caress Of Steel really works for me on that level too! I think of Caress Of Steel as the little brother of A Farewell To Kings.

Definitely. I was so happy when I first heard CoS and it had so much of the same vibe as AFTK. I'm not sure the songs are all there as much, but it sounds majestic, and there are many magic moments to be found in those 5 tracks.

• Like 1

Definitely. I was so happy when I first heard CoS and it had so much of the same vibe as AFTK. I'm not sure the songs are all there as much, but it sounds majestic, and there are many magic moments to be found in those 5 tracks.

That's what I also felt, that the album is rougher around the edges, as if the band were just in reaching distance of hitting the target but missed by a very small margin.

But 2112 was a different beast entirely, and by AFTK they new exactly what they were about and the songs are fully formed!

I think the commercial failure of CoS was the best thing to ever happen to them. They quickly corrected all the little glitches in their approach, and the results speak for themselves.

• Like 3

great record, wish the production allowed the songs to sound as heavy as they actually are

It was never an issue for me...UNTIL I FINALLY PAID ATTENTION TO ATWAS!

Seriously that live album blew my mind!