Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Caress Of Steel (1975)

Segue Myles

Arguably the bands most divisive album, where do I stand with this record?

MI0002020289.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

1. Bastille Day

Short and sweet: one of my top TOP Rush songs. Arguably my favourite Rush song of the seventies (or at least very close!).

I love the groove of this song, the intro is fantastic. The marching feel of the chorus, the lyrics are great and my kind of nerdy! A classic Rush song.

10/10

• Like 5

2. I Think I'm Going Bald

What man doesn't have a little anxiety about this subject? A fun and goofy song, which shows off Lifeson's humour (if I remember rightly he wrote this song, or at least inspired it). This is a young band, a fun band. Is it a classic? Not sure as it regularly gets a bashing.

But I love it.

8/10

• Like 3

1. Bastille Day

Short and sweet: one of my top TOP Rush songs. Arguably my favourite Rush song of the seventies (or at least very close!).

I love the groove of this song, the intro is fantastic. The marching feel of the chorus, the lyrics are great and my kind of nerdy! A classic Rush song.

10/10

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there.

• Like 1

3. Lakeside Park

Remember the comments I made regarding Rivendell? The soft dynamics they explored on that experimental acoustic piece is expanded upon here. I love this song, as much as I do Bastille Day. It has always been a favourite of mine, the melody is soft, it has a really soothing atmosphere and it just feels perfect.

Great song. I love autumn walks with this on my headphones. Based on these three songs alone, Caress Of Steel would be enough to warrant at least a 7/10 even if the rest of the album sucked!

10/10

• Like 6

4. The Necromancer

This is where it gets a little frustrating. I really love this song for the most part, but I have one major issue: the muffled spoken word segments! Seriously what is with that? Ever seen those videos of people coming back from dentists high on morphine with a mouth full of cotton wool? Mush mouth? I think that every single time!

Fortunately, the underlying music during all these moments are beautiful. Geddy songs beautifully. I have never explored the story or examined the lyrics, and to enjoy this song I don't really need too, because it has outstanding atmosphere and power. It is a mournful, sorrowful song, before it builds and builds to a bold climax. A near perfect song, and I feel it is criminally overlooked.

I really can say at this point that the common consensus on this album is wrong. This album is, based upon its first side alone, a real classic.

But the mush mouth still annoys me, but Alex riffs are explosive on this track, which compensates quite nicely for my little gripes. This is a HEAVY METAL ANTHEM!

8/10 (would be a 9 if not for my one gripe).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

5. The Fountain Of Lamneth

The band are engaged in full nerdgasm mode. I haven't a bloody clue what any of it is about, and I know the song is dissected into shorter pieces but I treat it like it is: a bloody enormous prog metal behemoth!

The bands first of three side length epics, this is another frequently bashed song. But I do not care I LOVE IT! The drumming is of particular note hear: Peart is a f***ing beast!

It's epic, overblown, pretentious and absolutely bonkers. I would rather listen to this than any Dream Theater sidelong epic, and in all honesty I found it easier to fall in love with than I did Hemispheres. Is it perfect? Maybe not...again I know this album gets a lot of hate. But I have never had an issue with Caress Of Steel, and that includes The Fountain Of Lamneth.

My score for this beauty is:

9/10

• Like 5

I absolutely love this album, and Alex is on fire beginning to end. It was a grower for me, as it took some 20 years for it to really settle in, but the tone and mood really caught hold.
  • Like 3

So where do I stand with Caress Of Steel?

As you can see I am a lover, not a hater. Of the first three albums, this one is by far my most favourite.

Now next up is 2112. That album apparently rescued Rush from the "disaster" that was Caress Of Steel.

Will I listen to it and find it to be exponentially better?

For all the growing pains on display with CoS (one cannot completely ignore the fact that for all the creativity and joy on display, the album still sounds a little rough around the edges), I find it to be absolutely charming. It has a terrific atmosphere, the songs are really bold and as a whole make up a really cohesive listening experience. Whereas the debut blurs a little due to the sameness throughout, and Fly By Night suffers a little from its at times generic content, Caress Of Steel sounds completely unique. For good or for bad, that is up too the listener to decide.

But I happen to love Caress Of Steel.

My heart really tells me this is a 10/10, but I am going to keep it real:

Rush would go on to create more albums in the vein of this album, but with more skill and with the rough edges fully fleshed out. But for what it is, on its very own merits, I give it a

9/10

Highlights:

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

And pretty much everything else.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

I absolutely love this album, and Alex is on fire beginning to end. It was a grower for me, as it took some 20 years for it to really settle in, but the tone and mood really caught hold.

I really never had any problem with this album! I love it and I find the album cover represents the feel of the album near perfectly. Just love it.

Next up is 2112, and I am interested to see if maybe the second side wins me over. After finding myself LOVING the debut, I am curious.

• Like 1

4. The Necromancer

This is where it gets a little frustrating. I really love this song for the most part, but I have one major issue: the muffled spoken word segments! Seriously what is with that? Ever seen those videos of people coming back from dentists high on morphine with a mouth full of cotton wool? Mush mouth? I think that every single time!

Fortunately, the underlying music during all these moments are beautiful. Geddy songs beautifully. I have never explored the story or examined the lyrics, and to enjoy this song I don't really need too, because it has outstanding atmosphere and power. It is a mournful, sorrowful song, before it builds and builds to a bold climax. A near perfect song, and I feel it is criminally overlooked.

I really can say at this point that the common consensus on this album is wrong. This album is, based upon its first side alone, a real classic.

But the mush mouth still annoys me, but Alex riffs are explosive on this track, which compensates quite nicely for my little gripes. This is a HEAVY METAL ANTHEM!

An edit without the narrative bits massively improves this song. When it comes on in the car, it gets cranked.

• Like 2

4. The Necromancer

An edit without the narrative bits massively improves this song. When it comes on in the car, it gets cranked.

Does their exist such an edit?

4. The Necromancer

Yea the narration thing hurts this one.

I love all the D&D stuff on this one. weird ass, stoned out production

The production and atmosphere is perfect. Next time I play this I will sit down with the lyrics!

Big fantasy fan here, so this album is a real win and always has been.

• Like 1

the necromancer is doom metal

Damn right it is! Whoever disagrees is a revisioni...you get my drift.

But Rush practically invented 80s metal. It is all here!

Seriously we hear all the time about Priest and Sabbath but Rush were doing wonders with metal and applying it to prog too.

Rush is f***ing life!

Seriously this early run of albums has left me questioning my taste levels and recent gushing over Roll The Bones.

Then again I love pop.

But yeah...also Dances Of Death by Mekong Delta is a thrash equivalent of Hemispheres. But better.

• Like 2

You've started with the old man, retrospective-looking back at the good old days threads! I knew you'd hit 40!

IT IS A SECRET SHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 1

You've started with the old man, retrospective-looking back at the good old days threads! I knew you'd hit 40!

I am going to do this soon with Judas Priest. I want your input because I am practically a Priest virgin!

Seriously...religious for ten years and they never touched me once...

I am going to do this soon with Judas Priest. I want your input because I am practically a Priest virgin!

Seriously...religious for ten years and they never touched me once...

They're not a catholic Priest then are they?

• Like 1

4. The Necromancer

Does their exist such an edit?

I have one I made for myself using some music editing software. I was able to blend it together pretty well.

• Like 1

Don't know if this link still works - try it out.

https://www.dropbox....ZxdiPSeo3a?dl=0

Edit - the link seems to work. There are five files - rapless Roll the Bones, Hemispheres with Cygnus X-1 inserted into the middle before the quiet bit, narrationless Necromancer, Riffs-n'-Solos only Victor, and an attempt at a Rivendell edit that turned out to be a fail...

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2