Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Rush (1974)

Segue Myles

Well I have decided to revisit probably my favourite band of the sixties/seventies/eighties. The band that I continually underrate and overlook when talking about "MY VERY FAVOURITE BANDS!" on a far too regular basis (they are without a doubt in my top four).

Rush mean the world to me. I cannot think of a single band that has changed my life so much. Their music opened me to a whole new world that I had only glimpsed at before. Through Rush I discovered a real admiration for "classic" rock. Because of Rush I learned about bands like Kansas, Styx, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Saga, Toto and I went through a couple of years listening to nothing else!

Bands like Nightwish and Mastodon had already introduced me to epic sounds and journeys through sound, but there is something to be said about Rush that I cannot say about any other band in quite the same way. They sound like NO ONE ELSE! The only band to ever come truly close to sounding like Rush to my ears is YYNot. And that should come as no surprise, as they are highly talented musicians who made their name covering Rush to perfection. But even their debut has its own soul.

Every other band I find to have a unique feel have at least in many ways been copied to the extent I could potentially listen to another band and mistake then for my favourite band.

But I digress.

I have never truly listened to the studio work of Rush from start to finish in chronological order. I shall start with the debut and work forward. Let's use these threads to talk about each album and our opinions!

Today I start with the album I have never played in its entirety more than five times: Rush (1974)

MI0001856614.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

1. Finding My Way

What a terrific song! I will be honest, this debut album is an enigma for me. It's enjoyable and has a youthful exuberance, but it doesn't sound entirely like Rush at all. But I decided this morning to shut out all other memories of other bands and listen to this album on its own merits.

This is a bloody good song!

Rutsey is a very good drummer. I love the swag of this song. It is a great album opener. And yes I hear a lot of that generic early seventies sound but HEY this is a debut and they were kids. Not much to say except that you can tell already that Alex Lifeson owns this album.

7/10

• Like 1

2. Need Some Love

Ok it is very hard to avoid comparing the sound to Led Zeppelin here. But I enjoyed this song again. Kids being kids! Only this trio is bloody amazing! I keep reminding myself that this is a debut album with three talented players. Just three. And you know what? I LOVE Geddy's voice! I cannot believe how little attention I have paid to this album. Really fine song. Not much truly stands out but I enjoyed the chorus and once again, Lifeson steals the show. This is the kind of music that makes me wish I could play!

I really love the down to earth rock n roll vibe of this album. I am certain it will get plenty more spins!

7/10

3. Take A Friend

Ok. When I finish this album I will be playing this one again for sure! I loved this song! Also the lyrics are really cute. I don't know what else to say really, but it's a simple message and I like the sentiment.

8/10

• Like 1

4. Here Again

The end of side one, and I really liked this. The songs haven't been blurring together, but at the same time I wasn't really surprised by this. Judging this album on its own merits, I can honestly say I am gobsmacked by how much I rate these individual songs! This is a party rock album!

7/10

5. What You're Doing

THIS SONG IS INCREDIBLE!

Heavier, the riffs are amazing...the vocals...the vibe! METAL!!!!!!!!!

Rush really delivered with this song. So far this one is my favourite. Oh god...if you listen to nothing else from the debut, listen to this! I can really hear elements if later Rush here. Alex is fantastic!

Have I been underrating Alex this whole time?

10/10

• Like 1

6. In The Mood

Well this was fantastic too. Oh gosh...

I need to replay this album. A lot.

9/10

• Like 1

7. Before And After

Ok this song knocked me off my feet! People say Rush found their sound truly on Fly By Night. Really? I hear proggy elements on this song, it's layered and beautiful and at first I thought this was an instrumental but then it blew up and it is A FREAKIN METAL MASTERPIECE!

Best song on the album? Very likely!

So far, the albums second side is the best

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

8. Working Man

A fan favourite. Ok I I hating myself for saying this but until today, I hadn't finished this album since...2012? SHAME ON ME!

Now I really like Working Man, I can hear why it's a favourite. And you know what? I think its now a new favourite for me too!

9/10

• Like 1

Ok so I played this album just once today (so far).

If this is the sound of a band not quite finding their feet, I am awestruck. Had Rush never found Neil, I think it is safe to say they have all the musical chops to at least have had a few great, straightforward rock n roll albums. I cannot say this is full of originality but I can say that the youthful exuberance and playing is stunning. I loved Geddy, Rutsey really was a great young drummer. The band play like Led Zeppelin writing The Who songs whilst Black Sabbath sneeze in the background. I really, truly enjoyed this!

And to think I have always delayed a run through of all the Rush albums because I thought the debut was poor...

Rush- the album, is metal. I don't care to argue but this album is frickin heavy! I could just as easily stick on Master Of Reality after this. Gosh...Alex Lifeson...LEGEND!!!!!!

The second side is where the magic truly begins for me.

Best songs:

What You're Doing

Before And After

Working Man

8/10

• Like 1

7. Before And After

Ok this song knocked me off my feet! People say Rush found their sound truly on Fly By Night. Really? I hear proggy elements on this song, it's layered and beautiful and at first I thought this was an instrumental but then it blew up and it is A FREAKIN METAL MASTERPIECE!

10/10

Truly underrated.

• Like 1

If this is the sound of a band not quite finding their feet, I am awestruck. Had Rush never found Neil, I think it is safe to say they have all the musical chops to at least have had a few great, straightforward rock n roll albums. I cannot say this is full of originality but I can say that the youthful exuberance and playing is stunning. I loved Geddy, Rutsey really was a great young drummer. The band play like Led Zeppelin writing The Who songs whilst Black Sabbath sneeze in the background. I really, truly enjoyed this!

And to think I have always delayed a run through of all the Rush albums because I thought the debut was poor...

Rush- the album, is metal. I don't care to argue but this album is frickin heavy! I could just as easily stick on Master Of Reality after this. Gosh...Alex Lifeson...LEGEND!!!!!!

Best songs:

What You're Doing

Before And After

Working Man

8/10

Side two is the better half for sure.

Best songs:

What You're Doing

Before And After

Working Man

8/10

Its funny I always get really bored of the album, but I was really in the mood for Rush today and decided now is the time to explore their music again! Not just pick and mix, but listen too and review it song by song.

Admittedly I am very out of touch with the first two albums. I didn't recognise any of the debut today but I told myself to listen to it on its own merits, not as a "Led Zeppelin" clone. And you know...I still hear the bands influences but I also couldn't deny the songwriting was almost perfect, especially that AMAZING second side!

• Like 1

Best songs:

What You're Doing

Before And After

Working Man

8/10

Its funny I always get really bored of the album, but I was really in the mood for Rush today and decided now is the time to explore their music again! Not just pick and mix, but listen too and review it song by song.

Admittedly I am very out of touch with the first two albums. I didn't recognise any of the debut today but I told myself to listen to it on its own merits, not as a "Led Zeppelin" clone. And you know...I still hear the bands influences but I also couldn't deny the songwriting was almost perfect, especially that AMAZING second side!

Definitely a promising debut. They had something going on. Just needed Peart to complete the picture.

I've done the chronological listening thing before. It's an interesting journey. Look forward to your take.

Cool, man. Here Again is a personal favourite. I dig this album - maybe a bit too much corny "babe" and "baby" stuff, but, as you said, young guys rocking out and settling into the whole rock n' roll world.
  • Like 1

Cool, man. Here Again is a personal favourite. I dig this album - maybe a bit too much corny "babe" and "baby" stuff, but, as you said, young guys rocking out and settling into the whole rock n' roll world.

The entire first side was really great but lacked a certain WOWNESS that I did not see coming with the second side.

I may buy this on vinyl and play it starting with What You're Doing from now on! Haha

7. Before And After

10/10

For me, this is the most "Rush-like" song on the album and most strongly hints at what was to come.

• Like 1

7. Before And After

10/10

For me, this is the most "Rush-like" song on the album and most strongly hints at what was to come.

I played the second half of the album again today, and Before And After has the potential to become an all time favourite Rush song, and very high up on my list!

• Like 1

7. Before And After

10/10

I agree.

Having been late to the party, I only discovered Rush in late 1976... Caress Of Steel was the first album I ever heard, 2112 second and this the third. From the moment I heard Finding My Way, I knew this album was going to be stellar, which it was, is and will continue to be for generations to come... Even though Rutsey was no Neil Peart, he lent a solid performance to their debut. I love this album... :rush:
  • Like 1

As i was backtracking in 1979 after buying my first Rush album ,Hemispheres,i held off on the debut because the cover looked cheesy and it just whiffed of boring straight ahead rawk album with lousy production.In fact i had since learnt that they had toured with Kiss and thought that their debut would sound like the first Kiss albums,flat,dull sounding.Off course all that changed with Kiss Alive.But when i dropped the needle on Finding My Way it too came alive.Zeppelin comparisons were inevitable with Ged's ooh yeahs and Alex doing his Jimmy Page trip,and didn't the riff to What You're Doing smell of Heartbreaker.But Rush were rocking and Zep were starting to wander from the heavy staight ahead blues rock and starting to experiment with Houses of the Holy which alienated some fans(not me).I play the debut more than Fly By Night(another cheesy cover,imho) but that was the way forward to better things.

The Debut is in my Top 3 Rush albums

I completely agree with you Segue regarding Side 2 .. It is right there with side 2 of Hemispheres for me in terms of "best single side of an album"

I love this debut, and while it is undeniable what Neil brought to the band later on, songs like What You're Doing and In The Mood never sounded better than the John Rutsey/ Geddy foundation pairing ..... Listening to What You're Doing back to back - Debut vs All The World's A Stage - Rutsey plays it better and doesn't drag it down like Neil did ..

Alex was a beast here

• Like 3

I completely agree with you Segue regarding Side 2 .. It is right there with side 2 of Hemispheres for me in terms of "best single side of an album"

I love this debut, and while it is undeniable what Neil brought to the band later on, songs like What You're Doing and In The Mood never sounded better than the John Rutsey/ Geddy foundation pairing ..... Listening to What You're Doing back to back - Debut vs All The World's A Stage - Rutsey plays it better and doesn't drag it down like Neil did ..

Alex was a beast here

Right on bro!

• Like 2

I don't care for Peart's live embellishment of the debut tacks. These songs are built around grooves, and the overly-busy fills detracts from that, I think. On later tours, when Neil went to playing Working Man straight, for example, it was an improvement.
  • Like 3