Bohemian Rhapsody

ShowMeDontTell

I'm not very familiar yet with the way the forum is set up but I figured Queen... More music than film.

So, thank you. :)

Hollywood didn't really ruin it, per se. It wasn't the best thing I've ever seen and I cringed a couple of times but it's my favorite band and I never thought I'd see a movie about Freddie. No one I knew liked them when I was growing up and people thought I was crazy for being so into them.

Now Freddie's everywhere. I don't like a lot of what Roger and Brian have done, capitalizing on his death, but they've kept Freddie and the music relevant. The movie is just one more step and it'll definitely create new fans.

Saw the movie last night and loved it. I was never a huge Queen fan and they were one of 'major' bands of the 70's that I never saw in concert.

Make me want to listen to more Queen albums post Live Aids 1985.

I've seen by watching "Bohemian Rhapsody", and I thought it was a very good movie. About Queen, it wasn't bad.
  • Like 1

I watched it twice. It's not a good movie.

Agree to disagree, because I'm too deeply invested in Queen to see it as anything less than stellar.

• Like 1

I watched it twice. It's not a good movie.

Agree to disagree, because I'm too deeply invested in Queen to see it as anything less than stellar.

They took a lot of liberties to make it emotionally relevant. It was as dishonest a movie as I have ever seen. Good music, though.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

^^ I'm 2/3 the ways through and this is what I've taken away so far. It's like the film makers decided they wouldn't try for any accuracy at all; "Queen" is a malleable backdrop for the tragic story of an artist. Edited by Rutlefan

I think some people thought the movie was going to be a documentary rather than a fictionalized account.

No, just accurately portrayed. I understand rearranging true life events for plot and emotional reasons, but not to the degree in this movie.

• Like 3

I think some people thought the movie was going to be a documentary rather than a fictionalized account.

I’m not a huge Queen fan, so I have no idea how much is true or not. I enjoyed the movie. My kids kind of got into Queen because of it.

I'm a big fan and noted the many inaccuracies. But for me that didn't hurt the movie, as I felt they absolutely captured the spirit of the band.
  • Like 1

I’m not a huge Queen fan, so I have no idea how much is true or not. I enjoyed the movie. My kids kind of got into Queen because of it.

I'm a big fan and noted the many inaccuracies. But for me that didn't hurt the movie, as I felt they absolutely captured the spirit of the band.

Yes this exactly.

Also, Freddie told the band on his deathbed (paraphrased, because I don't recall the exact wording off the top of my head), "Do what you want with my legacy, just don't make me boring."

I think that's permission enough for most of the inaccuracies.

• Like 2

Yes this exactly.

Also, Freddie told the band on his deathbed (paraphrased, because I don't recall the exact wording off the top of my head), "Do what you want with my legacy, just don't make me boring."

Wow. The narcissist doesn't care about misrepresentation as long as he doesn't come across as boring? Another reason the movie is a bad movie. Is Freddie Mercury's legacy a fraud? The music is good, though.

It just sounds like you simply don't want to dislike the movie.

Yes this exactly.

Wow. The narcissist doesn't care about misrepresentation as long as he doesn't come across as boring? Another reason the movie is a bad movie. Is Freddie Mercury's legacy a fraud? The music is good, though.

It just sounds like you simply don't want to dislike the movie.

Plenty of inaccurate stories are great stories. How about Forest Gump? You can base something in reality without having to stay completely true to it if that helps you tell a more compelling story.

As for the jab at me, that’s true. I never wanted to dislike the movie, and I still don’t want to. Same as I never wanted to dislike Roll The Bones, and I still would prefer not to. Only difference is, I wound up loving Bohemian Rhapsody and being utterly disappointed by Roll The Bones. No difference in my approach, so that must speak to how much I naturally enjoyed each work.

I'm not enough of a fan to know what was accurate and what wasn't. How serious were the inaccuracies? Were they as serious as if there a Rush biopic that had Rutsey playing on the 2nd album?

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

False dichotomy I think, in that it's not a binary choice, documentary vs. fictionalized account. Quality historical dramas, like Patton for example, are neither.

Fat Bottomed Girls on the Queen II tour? I guess Ogre Battle wasn't recognizable enough; probably true but the choice is between historical drama vs fantasy. So it's the film maker's right to make a fantasy (they're paying the bills and they need a return) and it's my right to not be interested in a fantasy, Queen-based or not, but we are talking about a fantasy, not even a biopic. You aren't going to learn any history from this movie apart that a band called Queen existed, they had four members, and they capped their career (apparently) at Live Aid. They played some recognizable tunes too. Tough way to appreciate them though, sitting through two hours of melodrama.

Edited by Rutlefan

Can someone maybe explain to me what some of the more glaring inaccuracies of the movie were? I honestly don't know.

And please no, "In episode 55, when you placed documents in your safe, what was the combination?"* inaccuracies.

*Inspired by the excellent SNL skit with William Shatner at a Star Trek convention.

• Like 1

Can someone maybe explain to me what some of the more glaring inaccuracies of the movie were? I honestly don't know.

And please no, "In episode 55, when you placed documents in your safe, what was the combination?"* inaccuracies.

*Inspired by the excellent SNL skit with William Shatner at a Star Trek convention.

Queen never broke up.

Freddie Mercury was not diagnosed with AIDS before Live Aid.

Queen was not a last minute addition to Live Aid.

Freddie Mercury was not the first member to release a solo album.

Mike Myers' record producer character never existed.

Overall, the movie was very manipulative and dishonest. Would have a more accurate portrayal ruined Freddie Mercury's legacy?