New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

I still really dig this album.

Although I do not think it suffers from any weak songs, the album itself gets really spectacular from about the middle onwards (including Viper King).

Overall, still a very well deserved 8/10

• Like 1

Although I do not think it suffers from any weak songs, the album itself gets really spectacular from about the middle onwards (including Viper King).

I've gotta delete Viper King off my ipod. What an out of place song that doesn't fit with the rest of the album. Even the CD doesn't have it listed. But when I saved it on my computer the song came up. On the plus side, I have come to really like Untethered Angel and Paralyzed quite a bit now. I remember the same thing happened with On The Backs Of Angels. I wasn't crazy about it at first but after hearing it with the rest of the album a handful of times, I came to really like it. Strange how that works sometimes.

I've gotta delete Viper King off my ipod. What an out of place song that doesn't fit with the rest of the album. Even the CD doesn't have it listed. But when I saved it on my computer the song came up. On the plus side, I have come to really like Untethered Angel and Paralyzed quite a bit now. I remember the same thing happened with On The Backs Of Angels. I wasn't crazy about it at first but after hearing it with the rest of the album a handful of times, I came to really like it. Strange how that works sometimes.

I think Viper King is one of their best songs of the millennium.

I also found that the singles really didn't sound too bad when I played the album. I enjoy the album start to finish, and find it really gets better as it goes along.

I think Viper King Should have opened the record.

i haven't played this album for a good while. it'd be interesting to know how it stands.

Mick

Good call on opening.

And I gave it a fair few days and played it today and it still sounds great.

• Like 1

Maybe it actually sucks and i was just starved for any glimmer of good DT. so at the slightest morsel i went nuts, lol.

Either way it's in my top 5 DT albums

Mick

I'll know if that's the case for me in two weeks when the version of the album I ordered finally gets delivered.

Delayed again. I'm done with Amazon. This album better be worth the wait.

Listened to Scenes and D/T today. Scene’s is better of course, but D/T is great as well. And I honestly love the first three tracks if only because they have stronger hooks than many of the others. It’s a quite wintery album, blizzardy in places. Very happy with this record.
  • Like 2

Just picked this album up on Sunday. Has a very old school feel to it. WOW. They definitely won me back after The Astonishing. Now they just need to come back to Vancouver.

Sometimes a band needs to come out with something as terrible as the Astonishing for them to realise what they need to do in order to become great again. That's exactly what happened with the new album.

First night of the tour was yesterday. Who wants spoilers?

I saw the set. They need to learn time management. Songs two and five in set one are completely unnecessary. I'm not saying they're bad songs but when the first set is only six songs and set two is a full album, they need to choose better.

I would be in favor of set one being all new stuff if they're going to keep it so short.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Distance has kinda really fell off mor me. don't get me wrong it still is a huge come up after TA......hell if this was a record of farts it would be, lol

but on futher listens it really is a very mixed affair.

Still think the first 2 tracks are so bad.

Pale Blue Dot is self indulgent without actually doing anything interesting.

Out of Reach is nice enough.

I 'm just finding less and less to come back for.

6/10

sorry for the drastic drop but i feel what i feel

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Distance has kinda really fell off mor me. don't get me wrong it still is a huge come up after TA......hell if this was a record of farts it would be, lol

6/10

Mick

We have the same bottom four tracks. The rest of the album (including Viper King) still thrill. And I like the lesser songs.

I would say that I still prefer A Dramatic Turn Of Events over this, and I will soon give full attention to the self-titled. I keep thinking my only issue with that album is that I rarely play it. I recall it being a very elaborate affair, and the epic was amazing.

• Like 1

6/10

Mick

We have the same bottom four tracks. The rest of the album (including Viper King) still thrill. And I like the lesser songs.

I would say that I still prefer A Dramatic Turn Of Events over this, and I will soon give full attention to the self-titled. I keep thinking my only issue with that album is that I rarely play it. I recall it being a very elaborate affair, and the epic was amazing.

the self titled will Always be my fav from this lineup. to me that album has the magic i think i over corrected with this because of TA, lol

but i think it has a hell of amount of charm. With songs like Fall Into the Light, Barstool Warrior, Room S2N, At Wit's End and Viper King, and in reality that should bring a higher score. but the lows are death man, lol

Momentum killing death.

Mick

6/10

Mick

the self titled will Always be my fav from this lineup. to me that album has the magic i think i over corrected with this because of TA, lol

but i think it has a hell of amount of charm. With songs like Fall Into the Light, Barstool Warrior, Room S2N, At Wit's End and Viper King, and in reality that should bring a higher score. but the lows are death man, lol

Momentum killing death.

Mick

I guess.

For me the lows for this album are pretty good to mildly great.

First night of the tour was yesterday. Who wants spoilers?

I saw the set. They need to learn time management. Songs two and five in set one are completely unnecessary. I'm not saying they're bad songs but when the first set is only six songs and set two is a full album, they need to choose better.

I would be in favor of set one being all new stuff if they're going to keep it so short.

Writing the setlist is another thing that has gone down hill since mp left.

I checked out the setlist and yeah...

I have grown cold but based on the feedback i did listen to

Untethered angels.

Paralyzed

Thumbs down to both

I did like fall into the light alot more. Its still great music and playing but it seems like they have been treading water for a while. Give me some LTE instead

• Like 1

Maybe it actually sucks and i was just starved for any glimmer of good DT. so at the slightest morsel i went nuts, lol.

Mick

I'll know if that's the case for me in two weeks when the version of the album I ordered finally gets delivered.

Listened to this 6 times after it finally showed up at my door on Sunday. I like it a lot. Very inspiring. The music is good, the lyrics aren't horrible. First two tracks are by far the worst on there.

Problem is it's a difficult listen because of the mastering. Can't listen to it more than once at a time. No dynamic range at all. Just like Systematic Chaos with the ear fatigue (but this album is MUCH better.) There's some great stuff on here but it's so difficult to sit through the way it was mastered. I guess the full experience will be live.

Mick

Listened to this 6 times after it finally showed up at my door on Sunday. I like it a lot. Very inspiring. The music is good, the lyrics aren't horrible. First two tracks are by far the worst on there.

Problem is it's a difficult listen because of the mastering. Can't listen to it more than once at a time. No dynamic range at all. Just like Systematic Chaos with the ear fatigue (but this album is MUCH better.) There's some great stuff on here but it's so difficult to sit through the way it was mastered. I guess the full experience will be live.

I've noticed the issues you speak of, but find the positives so strong I can overlook it. A great album to my ears! I enjoy it from start to finish!

Serious question...am I the only person who likes DT, but doesn't fully understand just how good Scenes From a Memory really is?

I mean, I enjoy the album...but have never been blown away by it, which I find odd since most people swear it is their best work.

Also, after checking the setlist, I am unsure if I will attend the upcoming show near here. I think I dropped the ball by not attending the last tour when they did Images & Words in full (my favourite DT record).

• Like 2

Serious question...am I the only person who likes DT, but doesn't fully understand just how good Scenes From a Memory really is?

I mean, I enjoy the album...but have never been blown away by it, which I find odd since most people swear it is their best work.

Also, after checking the setlist, I am unsure if I will attend the upcoming show near here. I think I dropped the ball by not attending the last tour when they did Images & Words in full (my favourite DT record).

You sound like Segue a year and change ago, lol

Mick

Scenes is a great album, but Images & Words is better.

• Like 2

Took me the best part of four years to click fully woth Scenes. Same story with Hemispheres. When it all falls into place, its amazing.

Scenes is better than Images And Words by a massive margin. I enjoy Images And Words a lot, but Awake, Scenes, 6 Degrees, ADTOE and the latest are better to my ears. I probably rank Black Clouds And Silver Linings higher as well!