New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

What is The Great Adventure?

Also still loving Paralyzed haha

New Neal Morse band album. Sequel to his last double album. which surprisingly let me down a bit, lol

DT's new album is much better honestly.

Mick

Surprising to hear, but makes me hopeful for the new DT album as the new Morse album doesn't work for me. Too much disney and dokken.

I didn't hate the pre-release DT songs, they just didn't strike any new ground and James singing is uninspired. But I'm willing to give it a chance, especially after seeing the recent feedback in this thread.

• Like 1

New Neal Morse band album. Sequel to his last double album. which surprisingly let me down a bit, lol

Mick

Surprising to hear, but makes me hopeful for the new DT album as the new Morse album doesn't work for me. Too much disney and dokken.

I didn't hate the pre-release DT songs, they just didn't strike any new ground and James singing is uninspired. But I'm willing to give it a chance, especially after seeing the recent feedback in this thread.

yeas this the first time in a long time i've been a bit let down by Morse. i loved Similitude. but TGA seeme a bit rushed and a bit of an afterthought.

i like pieces but as a whole.....it's fine i guess, lol

I loved Distance Over Time TONS more.

Mick

• Like 1

I haven't liked any of the songs thus far, but haven't listened to the full album yet. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by it. Seems like the album might be better after the first initial tracks? Either way, I'm hoping it gets better, because the released songs have been stinkers. Reminds me of the new Queensrÿche singles. Boring, lifeless attempts to consciously reconstruct an older sound.

The released songs are the weakest easily

I'm debating buying this one. The released tracks haven't blown me away, but I like to support the band (even after the Astonishing).

• Like 1

Mick

yeas this the first time in a long time i've been a bit let down by Morse. i loved Similitude. but TGA seeme a bit rushed and a bit of an afterthought.

i like pieces but as a whole.....it's fine i guess, lol

Exactly my impression -- sections of songs were outstanding, but connected by this bubbly, inconsistent (and often poorly written) narrative. "Rushed" is probably a good guess at how the album ended up getting done, because it sounds like it to me as well. Similitude - it's got a few thematic similarities, but overall the music and lyrics are one another plane.

• Like 1

I haven't liked any of the songs thus far, but haven't listened to the full album yet. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by it. Seems like the album might be better after the first initial tracks? Either way, I'm hoping it gets better, because the released songs have been stinkers. Reminds me of the new Queensrÿche singles. Boring, lifeless attempts to consciously reconstruct an older sound.

I'm debating buying this one. The released tracks haven't blown me away, but I like to support the band (even after the Astonishing).

Not trying to be *that guy*, but there's a financially risk free way to find out if you like the DT album. I rarely buy albums before previewing them anymore. Been burned by enough shite over the years to sleep well at night cheating the artist of a listen to learn my money is better spent elsewhere. ;)

• Like 2

Not trying to be *that guy*, but there's a financially risk free way to find out if you like the DT album. I rarely buy albums before previewing them anymore. Been burned by enough shite over the years to sleep well at night cheating the artist of a listen to learn my money is better spent elsewhere. ;)

Exactly.

I don't buy the whole I wanna support the artist bullshit when it comes to buying albums. If we pay 9.99 for an album, the band only sees maybe two bucks of that. Yeah, that's really helping to support them. How will they feed their children and pay for their house without that measly contribution?

Buying merch and concert tickets is how you actually support the artist. That's money they will get.

Still very much liking the new album. Listened to it for the first time out loud today and found I enjoyed the opening two tracks more than before. Maybe this isn't an album made for headphones.

• Like 1

I'm doing a discography run through. up to octavarium now. we'll seee how the new album stacks up now when i get to it.

Mick

I’m doing the same.

Not to troll but the band really did get better after Portnoy left.

Psst........i like Mangini better then Portnoy too.

Portnoy was great early too mid period DT...then he started thinking he was the front man and it REALLY did tank.

just one guy's opinion.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I'm doing a discography run through. up to octavarium now. we'll seee how the new album stacks up now when i get to it.

Mick

Oh, the new album is better than Octavarium that's for sure. Just more consistently good. Octavarium has always been half great and half dud for me.

Scenes, Images, Awake and Six Degrees are forever their top albums for me. I just don't think they can ever beat those.

• Like 1

So, Distance Over Time marks the first new DT album release since I discovered them in 2007 that I loved instantly (even if the singles had me worried). Fair enough, I didn't start to properly follow them until around 2013, but when I did listen to them properly, it was the older albums that made me feel really close to being a fan.

Then...I made the mistake of listening almost exclusively to what I deem to be their weakest period (Octavarium to Black Clouds). Now, granted, that streak lasts three albums. But they are the albums I most remember being talked about growing up and I was drawn to them because at first the songs were really catchy, and I found the vocals the easiest to get into.

I feel silly now having ever had an issue with Labrie and his voice considering I listen to bands like In Flames or thrash metal. But there we go.

In the past year, as I do with all bands in my collection that never quite clicked, I return to certain records and try to find the gems I know must exist. Well kt worked wonders! Because the entire run from Images And Words through to Train Of Thought is EXCELLENT and even now I feel like I am still listening to each album for the first time every single time I put them on. But I also realised that the rot that turned me away lasted a streak of just TWO albums: Octavarium (I for a short time loved it the most) and Systematic Chaos (I don't think I will ever love this). Black Clouds And Silver Linings, which I categorise as the last album in their weakest era, is genuinely enjoyable to my ears (hey! I can enjoy a generic album when it is so well crafted, I truly believe the album was a minor return to form and I probably prefer it to Train Of Thought!). A Dramatic Turn Of Events is a fantastic album, one that I think only improves with replays, the self titled is very well crafted...then we get to The Astonishing which turned me off the band almost for good (to say I hate it is an understatement).

And when the band announced a new album, I honestly thought "meh" and assumed it would continue the rot of TA.

Well it hasn't! It might be my favourite Dream Theater album since Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, surpassing easily every album after that record (with the possible exception of A Dramatic Turn Of Events which is ridiculously good...shame on me for overlooking it).

I hesitate to say the band has returned to peak form, but it I do think many old and newer fans would agree that this album is of a quality not seen from these guys in quote some time.

The run of songs from Fall Into The Light through to At Wits End is a five song streak that may rank as one of the best run of songs in the bands entire discography. And it is a joy to note that a majority of critics and fans view the bonus track, Viper King, to be an exceptional track whose sole flaw is that it doesn't quite fit with the rest of the album.

Oh gosh...I really love this album and its turned me onto the band in a big way, and its like I am hearing them for the first time.

• Like 1

My current rankings of DT albums:

1. Awake

2. A Dramatic Turn Of Events

3. Images And Words

4. Distance Over Time

5. Black Clouds And Silver Linings

6. Scenes From A Memory

7. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

8. Falling Into Infinity

9. Train Of Thought

10. Dream Theater

11. When Day And Dream Unite

12. Octavarium

13. The Astonishing

14. Systematic Chaos

• Like 2

1. Images And Words

2. Scenes From A Memory

3. Dream Theater

4. Octavarium

5. When Day And Dream Unite

6. Black Clouds And Silver Linings

7. Systematic Chaos

8. A Dramatic Turn Of Events

9. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

10. Falling Into Infinity

11. Train Of Thought

12. Awake

13. The Astonishing

14. Distance Over Time

On my second pass and realizing I am mostly just over this band. There was a period of about 15 years where I spent WAAAY too much time listening to DT and I think I'm just burned out on them. I haven't heard much on the past 3 or 4 (or 5) albums that catches my attention, and if anything I only hear "that sounds like this song, or the section of that song". And his singing... easily the weakest element to their music now. It's as if they've all collectively run out of ideas at the same time.

All that said - this is by no means bad, it's just nothing new. As I suspected and will assume going forward with any future material. Glad I listened, but already moving on.

• Like 1

On my second pass and realizing I am mostly just over this band. There was a period of about 15 years where I spent WAAAY too much time listening to DT and I think I'm just burned out on them. I haven't heard much on the past 3 or 4 (or 5) albums that catches my attention, and if anything I only hear "that sounds like this song, or the section of that song". And his singing... easily the weakest element to their music now. It's as if they've all collectively run out of ideas at the same time.

All that said - this is by no means bad, it's just nothing new. As I suspected and will assume going forward with any future material. Glad I listened, but already moving on.

That is fair enough. I have burned out on bands before, and there are some bands (Styx and Kings X come to mind) that reach a certain point in their discography and I just switch off completely. I tried but couldn't get into those bands sound after a certain point.

I like the album. Why couldn’t Clockwork Angels be mixed like this one?

Wht couldn't the last three all be?

• Like 1

I like the album. Why couldn’t Clockwork Angels be mixed like this one?

From what I read, they hid away in a studio somewhere for a few weeks and just cranked the thing out and got shit done without second guessing it. Left no time for them to fiddle around with the production. More bands should do that when the inspiration to write strikes.

• Like 3

I have listened to it two times through......I want 2 more straight through listens before really sharing my thoughts. DT has always ben a band I need to digest and give multiple listens. They have so many layers and riffage I need time to digest each song.

But here is a quick impression.

Sonically.....quite possibly their finest production to date.

Musically......it f***ing cooks and they are back with a vengeance after the massive flop known as The Astonishing.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

DT is like Rush to me. In the sense that they can do no wrong.... except for The Astonishing. Love the record, looking forward to seeing them live for the 10th or 11th time, this year.

Petrucci was saying, back during the recording of Astonishing, that the next record would be more like classic DT. Here we have it, today. Sounds, so far like what they've done since ADTOE. Works for me.

Edited by grep
  • Like 4

So i've finished my Marathon and i have my rankings. these are my personal feelings. not what technically is "better"

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Dream Theater

3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

4. Images and Words

5. Distance Over Time

6. Train Of Thought

7. Awake

9. Octavarium

11. When Dream and Day Unite

12. Black Clouds and silver Linings

'

13. The Astonishing

14. Systematic Chaos

The last couple are in groups cause they are different levels of bland and/or vomit inducing, lol

Mick

So i've finished my Marathon and i have my rankings. these are my personal feelings. not what technically is "better"

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Dream Theater

4. Images and Words

5. Distance Over Time

6. Train Of Thought

7. Awake

9. Octavarium

'

13. The Astonishing

14. Systematic Chaos

The last couple are in groups cause they are different levels of bland and/or vomit inducing, lol

Mick

Top 5. That’s bold.

• Like 1

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Dream Theater

4. Images and Words

5. Distance Over Time

6. Train Of Thought

7. Awake

9. Octavarium

'

13. The Astonishing

14. Systematic Chaos

Mick

Top 5. That’s bold.

i've heard it upwards of ten times by now. and i really think it deserves it.

only 2 weak tracks and 1 middle of the road one. however what they got right.......they REALLY got right. some of their best songs IMO.

Mick

• Like 1