YYNOT vs. GRETA...

greyfriar

YYGreta???  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which song (or maybe band) do you like more?

• YYNOT - The Curtain Falls
    • Greta Van Fleet - When The Curtain Falls

It's funny hearing Rush fans complain about Greta's singer. It's no worse than early Ged. They are Zep clones but still fun. Better than a lot of what's out there on the radio these days.

Geddy always had an original voice though. The main complaint about the guy from Gretta is that he's a complete Robert Plant copycat.

No.

First of all, you must be gifted to be able to hit those notes AT ALL.

Secondly, he also sounds at times like John Anderson and Geddy Lee.

He is a great new talent.

Agreed. And, like Ged and Plant, he'll learn to reign it in.
  • Like 3

I think all and all. Greta's debout is fine.

nothing more nothing less......BUT on the positive side. it's album ONE folks. Rush debut is just a copy (to my ears don't get mad) and look what they did.

so i'll wait and see.

Mick

• Like 1

nothing more nothing less......BUT on the positive side. it's album ONE folks. Rush debut is just a copy (to my ears don't get mad) and look what they did.

so i'll wait and see.

Mick

This.

I find the abuse this band gets from Rush fans veey hypoctical. I far prefer Fleets debut to that of Rush.

• Like 3

It's funny hearing Rush fans complain about Greta's singer. It's no worse than early Ged. They are Zep clones but still fun. Better than a lot of what's out there on the radio these days.

Geddy always had an original voice though. The main complaint about the guy from Gretta is that he's a complete Robert Plant copycat.

No.

Agreed. And, like Ged and Plant, he'll learn to reign it in.

He'll find his voice, as they say.

so i'll wait and see.

Mick

This.

I find the abuse this band gets from Rush fans veey hypoctical. I far prefer Fleets debut to that of Rush.

me too far and away.'

Actually Rush's first 2 albums were not all that amazing. i know you like FBN.....and it is good but side 2 i feel has a couple sleepers.

Can't people give a band time to grow anymorre.

or is everyone here just to close to death for that, lol

Mick

No.

Did I say that it didn't take talent to sing like that? I'm honestly asking because I don't recall. My issue is that every time I've heard a song from them I always think for a minute "Zeppelin must have released a rarity album, I don't recognize this song" then I remember who it is. I shouldn't have that kind of reaction when hearing a modern band. If elements of the songs reminded me of Zeppelin I would be fine with that. But my first thought should not be that they sound so much like them that this must be a Zeppelin b side.

Never much cared for Rush's debut either. Easily my least listened to album from them.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Enough of the copying Plant crap! That is the guys voice. He sounds like Plant .....so? To me that is awesome. He also sounds like other singers at times including geddy as pointed out. But that is his voice. Do you actually think he is mimicing Plant to sound like him so what..he will sell more albums to people who are Zep fans. There are very very few singers who sound totally unique. If you are going to be down on a singer because he sounds like someone else, you won't be listening to much.
  • Like 1

How come no one has mentioned that YYNOT's vocalist sounds quite a bit like Gwen Stephanie?

I'm a huge fan of Gwen Stefani...you sure?!

How come no one has mentioned that YYNOT's vocalist sounds quite a bit like Gwen Stephanie?

I'm not sure how to spell her name correctly. ;)

• Like 1

Maybe it's just my ears, but I detected the opening chord to 'a hard days night' at 0:20 of the Greta video. i don't know if I could take a whole album's worth of that singer.

YYNOT was well polished. I would say an influence of Rush, but not a total copycat. So that's my vote. The song was much more 'pop friendly' than what Rush would do.

Anyone else notice the bass player in YYNOT was never in any of the wide shots of the band? Kind of ruins the faux authenticity of a 'live' performance. I know he's not the most camera ready guy, but don't hide him backstage. Maybe he scared the girls.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3

.... as soon as the guy starts to sing it's over for me. Absolutely not my cup of tea.

Me too mate. Exactly.

Yeah, his voice grates.

I watched some live songs. In concert its still plant like but really more sam kinison...

Despite being retro rip offs the guitar player is quite good.

It would be much easier to overlook their zep likeness if they didnt dress the part

A leather fringe vest and feathers in your hair. Give me a fukkkking break

• Like 1

I'm not sure how to spell her name correctly. ;)

G

W

E

N

you're welcome. :P

• Like 1

Maybe it's just my ears, but I detected the opening chord to 'a hard days night' at 0:20 of the Greta video. i don't know if I could take a whole album's worth of that singer.

YYNOT was well polished. I would say an influence of Rush, but not a total copycat. So that's my vote. The song was much more 'pop friendly' than what Rush would do.

Anyone else notice the bass player in YYNOT was never in any of the wide shots of the band? Kind of ruins the faux authenticity of a 'live' performance. I know he's not the most camera ready guy, but don't hide him backstage. Maybe he scared the girls.

I live 3000 miles away and when we shot this we were still just an "Internet Band" but yeah, I know I ain't to easy on the eyes....lol Anyway, there are many more videos on the interweb...

• Like 5

I live 3000 miles away and when we shot this we were still just an "Internet Band" but yeah, I know I ain't to easy on the eyes....lol Anyway, there are many more videos on the interweb...

I just love your band. YYNot are so precious to me! I haven't played the album in a while but it is easily near the top of this year's albums. In fact, the only real competition for me so far is Behemoth and Tremonti. Two completely different bands!

I cannot wait to see what you do next.

• Like 3

Congrat's on killing this poll and on taking TRF by storm. :cheers:
  • Like 3

Well you look just like Tom Araya and they don't seem worried about including him in shots ;-)

• Like 2

It's funny hearing Rush fans complain about Greta's singer. It's no worse than early Ged.

To me, it’s plenty worse than early Geddy’s voice.

The music in the following is enjoyable aside from the vocals. It’s so bad to my ears that I couldn’t finish the song:

• Like 1

It's funny hearing Rush fans complain about Greta's singer. It's no worse than early Ged.

To me, it’s plenty worse than early Geddy’s voice.

The music in the following is enjoyable aside from the vocals. It’s so bad to my ears that I couldn’t finish the song:

Highway Tune doesn't bother me.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

It's all good bro...good video and band. I thought it was probably a scheduling conflict, but I was just having some fun with 'hey where's the bass player?'
  • Like 2

It's all good bro...good video and band. I thought it was probably a scheduling conflict, but I was just having some fun with 'hey where's the bass player?'

Ha! I like to think that I am a bit more appealing than the snare sound on "St. Anger" and that's fine by me! lol

• Like 1

Ha! I like to think that I am a bit more appealing than the snare sound on "St. Anger" and that's fine by me! lol

Lars was breaking down some cardboard Amazon boxes with a drumstick and got a really bad idea.
  • Like 1

I've tried again to make it through a song from Greta. NO f***in' chance! The voice from that guy is just so annoying. And what's wrong with their guitar player? I just watched the live performance of Rock am Ring 2018 and the guy is actually trying to copy some Page moves. Just hilarious! He's not a bad player at all but that kind of attitude makes it worse and worse for me.

The next big thing...lmao!

• Like 2