Phineas Gage... my band from the 1990s

Hey, just wanted to share some new YouTube videos from Phineas Gage, my alternative/prog rock band way back in the 1990s. :cool: We were active from about 1990-1997 and went through a couple lineup changes and musical phases. We were basically a rock band influenced by funk rock, alternative rock, and prog rock. The drummer and I were huge Rush fans, and the other guys were as well to a lesser degree.

What I've been working on is syncing up audio from our three studio demos with live videos from this period, since the audio on our live videos is mostly pretty poor. :( These first videos are from our second studio demo (1994) and second lineup, which is probably when we were at our best. This was our best sounding demo for sure, and I think you can hear the 90s rock influence as well as the Rush/prog influence.

First up from this demo is "Ghost," and you'll hear a definite Rush influence on this one! :P Funny thing is, our keyboard player came up with this Rush-sounding part, and he wasn't even the biggest Rush fan. But he went with us to the Roll The Bones show in Phoenix, so this part must have gotten into his subconscious. We knew it was derivative at the time, but figured it was just different enough to get away with. :cool: The guitar solo section is kind of a Red Sector A/The Weapon vibe, because I was going for something mostly atmospheric.

Anyway, let me know what you think, about both the music and video! This is one of my first attempts at multi-camera editing, so I'm learning as I go.

Phineas Gage - Ghost

YT channel: https://www.youtube....FPiKNSMRcECSCDg

FB: https://www.facebook.com/PhineasGageAZ

• Like 5

Hey, just wanted to share some new YouTube videos from Phineas Gage, my alternative/prog rock band way back in the 1990s. :cool: We were active from about 1990-1997 and went through a couple lineup changes and musical phases. We were basically a rock band influenced by funk rock, alternative rock, and prog rock. The drummer and I were huge Rush fans, and the other guys were as well to a lesser degree.

What I've been working on is syncing up audio from our three studio demos with live videos from this period, since the audio on our live videos is mostly pretty poor. :( These first videos are from our second studio demo (1994) and second lineup, which is probably when we were at our best. This was our best sounding demo for sure, and I think you can hear the 90s rock influence as well as the Rush/prog influence.

First up from this demo is "Ghost," and you'll hear a definite Rush influence on this one! :P Funny thing is, our keyboard player came up with this Rush-sounding part, and he wasn't even the biggest Rush fan. But he went with us to the Roll The Bones show in Phoenix, so this part must have gotten into his subconscious. We knew it was derivative at the time, but figured it was just different enough to get away with. :cool: The guitar solo section is kind of a Red Sector A/The Weapon vibe, because I was going for something mostly atmospheric.

Anyway, let me know what you think, about both the music and video! This is one of my first attempts at multi-camera editing, so I'm learning as I go.

Phineas Gage - Ghost

Good stuff!

• Like 2

Phineas Gage - Ghost

well done great dynamics. great job of fitting the solo with the song and resisting the temptation for overkill with a gazillion notes.

Is that your dog in your avatar? It looks alot like my Carolina Dog.

• Like 2

Thank you both! My avatar is actually a "pariah dog" found on Google. :cool: Just a random stray, I guess.

Here's another Phineas Gage video, for "Right Here"...

This one is more straight 90s rock, and not very prog. I was really digging Gish and Siamese Dream at this time (SP), so that was probably the biggest inspiration for this tune.

Edited by PariahDog
  • Like 1

Phineas Gage - Ghost

well done great dynamics. great job of fitting the solo with the song and resisting the temptation for overkill with a gazillion notes.

I had a Carolina Dog. Amazingly, I picked her up at the Humane Society.

• Like 2

Phineas Gage - Ghost

Our rescue was flown up from the Carolinas, a day away from being euthanized.

• Like 4

Ghost is real solid. You guys listen to any I Mother Earth? Similar vibe to some of their material. There's an interesting blend of things going on. Too bad it didn't work out, there's certainly enough here I would think you weren't far from commercial success.
  • Like 2

Thank you both! :) Stoopid, I will check out I Mother Earth. The crazy thing is, we were gigging in and around Tempe right in the middle of the "Tempe rock" explosion... or mini-explosion. :cool: The Gin Blossoms had been signed and had a hit second album. So there were a ton of bands trying to do the "jangle rock" thing and become the next Gin Blossoms. But The Refreshments and Meat Puppets were the only other Tempe band to really make it big. We always just kept doing our thing and were never in that inner circle of bands like The Refeshments, August Red, Dead Hot Workshop, etc. But we did see those guys in and around Tempe. I remember running in to Doug Hopkins (fired from the Gin Blossoms by A&M) on Mill Avenue not long before he took his own life. :(
  • Like 1

Phineas Gage - Ghost

My CD Lola. Best dog ever. Got her from a private rescue but never heard of a Carolina Dog breed until I ran into one at the dog park.

34470246_981080302040691_8607231516222685184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.fna&oh=8e3085f1710e5b8149dd4ba0927eb919&oe=5C8A4BFE

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Thank you both! My avatar is actually a "pariah dog" found on Google. :cool: Just a random stray, I guess.

Here's another Phineas Gage video, for "Right Here"...

This one is more straight 90s rock, and not very prog. I was really digging Gish and Siamese Dream at this time (SP), so that was probably the biggest inspiration for this tune.

got off subject on dogs, but that kicked ass!
  • Like 1

Wow, really good stuff! I hear some Psychotic Waltz influences here and there and I mean that in an absolutely positive way. Both songs are great!! So unbelievable that you guys didn't make it!
  • Like 1

Phineas Gage - Ghost

My CD Lola. Best dog ever. Got her from a private rescue but never heard of a Carolina Dog breed until I ran into one at the dog park.

34470246_981080302040691_8607231516222685184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.fna&oh=8e3085f1710e5b8149dd4ba0927eb919&oe=5C8A4BFE

I'd never heard of one either. I was living in Durham at the time and I was out hiking with her when someone I passed on the trail said, "that looks like a Carolina Dog!". I thought he was being funny, so I said, "well, I guess she is -- I did get her here in North Carolina". He then said, "No, I mean there's an actual breed called Carolina Dog".

• Like 1

Thank you both! :) Stoopid, I will check out I Mother Earth.

IME really only had one 'hit' as I recall. But a few albums. The entire "Dig" album was great. I think the singer is what got me thinking of them, and Candlebox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUSzLFIRBls

Edited by stoopid

^ Very cool. :cool:

Thanks again for all the great feedback, guys! I have a couple more videos coming soon. One is more of a straight up rock tune, inspired by Rush's debut album. The other is 7.5 minutes long, much more dark and prog, and maybe our best song overall. :madra:

Next up is "Inner Peace," the third song from our 1993 demo.

There's an obvious Lifeson quote in the solo, which I always loved to throw in whenever I had the chance. :cool: It was actually around this time that I was rediscovering Rush's debut and Caress of Steel, because I had initially kind of passed them over. But it was mostly Rush's debut (and Jimmy Page) that inspired me to pick up the '88 Les Paul Custom that I used for the remainder of Phineas Gage. I had always played a '78 Stratocaster before then.

• Like 1

Next up is "Inner Peace," the third song from our 1993 demo.

There's an obvious Lifeson quote in the solo, which I always loved to throw in whenever I had the chance. :cool: It was actually around this time that I was rediscovering Rush's debut and Caress of Steel, because I had initially kind of passed them over. But it was mostly Rush's debut (and Jimmy Page) that inspired me to pick up the '88 Les Paul Custom that I used for the remainder of Phineas Gage. I had always played a '78 Stratocaster before then.

Some interesting ideas and moods/changes in the song. It's perhaps a tad too poppy compared to the other material, but still wouldn't call it pop. Maybe more mainstream (for the time).

^ Yeah, this one was more of a straightforward rock song. We used to call it "Spin Doctors" for some reason, though it doesn't sound much like them. :eh: (Some of the bass, maybe.)

The next one will be darker, heavier, and more prog sounding. Kind of Marillion meets Soundgarden. lol :cool:

And now it's "Decay," the final song from our 1993 demo. :cool: With this one, our keyboard player wanted us to combine heavy 90s rock with some very prominent keyboards. Strangely, it worked out pretty well! Like I said, it reminds me now of Soundgarden meets Marillion. :cool: This also has my best recorded guitar solo, probably because it was mostly composed rather than improvised.

• Like 1

It reminds me now of Soundgarden meets Marillion. :cool:

I suppose. I also assume some barriers broken down with Dream Theater's success giving you guys the courage to try it. There's definitely some DT vibe here, maybe a touch of Faith No More.