Neil's drumming on Secret Touch

PermanentMovingSignals

I was listening to Secret Touch today and I have to say, in my opinion, this song features some of Neil's very best drumming.

He's on fire throughout the whole song, there's a lot of emotion and creativity in his playing. The outro to the song might be his finest moment, he's very fluent and in the pocket at the end. Just listen to the drums throughout the song, it's Neil at his peak.

I consider Secret Touch to be one of Rush's very best songs.

Discuss.

• Like 6

Neil's drumming is great on the whole Vapor Trails album. He was really inspired on that one.

Vapor Trails is a fantastic album, I don't care what anyone says.

The fact that you felt the need to type that somewhat undermines your attempted swagger.

Neil's drumming is great on the whole Vapor Trails album. He was really inspired on that one.

The fact that you felt the need to type that somewhat undermines your attempted swagger.

I felt the need to type that because Vapor Trails gets so much hate all the time. But I get what you're saying... Maybe I do care. I think it's one of their very best albums.

• Like 3

My favourite drum moment on VT is Nocture at 3:42. And doesn't the intro remind you of Van Halen's Panama a little bit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYjhcoBh7-Y

I was thinking Everybody Wants Some...(the intro anyway).

I was thinking the same thing.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I felt the need to type that because Vapor Trails gets so much hate all the time. But I get what you're saying... Maybe I do care. I think it's one of their very best albums.

Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with thinking it stinks. It'd be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

• Like 2

I like the tasty double-bass work around 4:00.

It's pretty muddy on the original mix, but the remix cleaned it up.

That last fill at 6:00 is pretty nice and seems off-the-cuff.

Alex kicks ass on this this track. :yes:

Love the sparse, driving drumming on the entire cd. In a weird way it reminds me of Keith Moon (on the Who Are You album especially), there is a sort of driving desperation underneath it all.

Vapor Trails regular or remixed is a damn good listen, despite a few flaws.

I'm somewhat mystified by the acclaim of Clockwork Angels, which is just as much of a brick-wall of a listen, but with less memorable melodies.

• Like 1

My favourite drum moment on VT is Nocture at 3:42. And doesn't the intro remind you of Van Halen's Panama a little bit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYjhcoBh7-Y

The very end (4:44) always make me think of the beginning (0:03) of "Decades" by Joy Division. Amazing that some thing so simple and sparse(unmusical) as a cymbal beat can make that sort of connection.

Mr Peart's drumming is great on V.T's throughout. Its a great album and one of my favourites

• Like 3

I like the tasty double-bass work around 4:00.

It's pretty muddy on the original mix, but the remix cleaned it up.

That last fill at 6:00 is pretty nice and seems off-the-cuff.

Alex kicks ass on this this track. :yes:

Love the sparse, driving drumming on the entire cd. In a weird way it reminds me of Keith Moon (on the Who Are You album especially), there is a sort of driving desperation underneath it all.

Vapor Trails regular or remixed is a damn good listen, despite a few flaws.

I'm somewhat mystified by the acclaim of Clockwork Angels, which is just as much of a brick-wall of a listen, but with less memorable melodies.

vapor trails and clockwork angels are both in my top 5 rush albums

• Like 4

I hear a lot of Keith Moon in Neil's drumming. Neil's style is very different from Moon's, but in a weird way there's a lot of Keith Moon in Neil's drumming.

Vapor Trails kicks ass.

• Like 2

I hear a lot of Keith Moon in Neil's drumming. Neil's style is very different from Moon's, but in a weird way there's a lot of Keith Moon in Neil's drumming.

Vapor Trails kicks ass.

Theyr'e both very, very busy in their styles. :yes:
  • Like 2

Vapor Trails kicks ass.

Theyr'e both very, very busy in their styles. :yes:

And both came up with some seriously freaky shit, drum-wise.

Not quite sure what's going on here...lots of great "inside-out" drums!

I always found NP's early kit looked like Moon's, but with more fiddly bits.

2470.f.jpg

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/images/sigs/km_pol/spiritoflilybooklet/spirit_of_lily_booklet_pg2.jpg

UnfitAltruisticIbizanhound-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2