"New" article in High! Canada Magazine

Jag2112

In two days pot will be legal in all of Canada. For the record, I am booze, dope and tobacco free... I have never used any drugs (weed included) and I have never even touched a cigarette. But, I did my share of drinking and puking back in my teens and very early twenties. I threw up on a policeman’s foot once… that was funny as shit. I recall him trying to jump out of the way. The cop didn’t share the same sense of humour as I did back then.

On this idea of legalizing pot, I have mixed feelings about it.

Typically, I am against any man-made thing that causes people’s minds to change. I prefer the natural approach. Just imagine what the world would be like if there were no alcohol... never invented, never even heard of it. The police wouldn't be nearly as busy, for one. Although I am against alcohol and drugs (yes, even marijuana) I think pot SHOULD be legalized if alcohol is. (I wish neither were ever invented.) Both are simply a different form of a man-made substance that causes the mind to change and people act differently, not always in a good way. And, if I HAD to choose between being a passenger in a car driven by a drunk or a stoned dude, I’d go with the stoned dude any day.

From what I have heard about pot, it simply gives a warm buzz, mellows people out. But, it doesn’t make people want to fight, jump off the roof into the pool or bang their best friend’s wife at a drunken “reunion” bash. When people are hammered on booze, they often make assholes out of themselves. I did many times. And, on at least three of my previous relationships, I had to put an end to them because the woman I was with was a drunk and I couldn’t put up with it.

With legalization, my concern is that, in time, other drugs will be legal too. One guy said to me that he thought “recreational cocaine” should be legal. I said, “Oh, is there a different kind other than recreational?” I have also heard from many people that the pot being used today is much stronger than the stuff from back in the 60s and 70s.

Will more kids try pot because, after all, “it’s legal?”

I read the article in the first post and I must admit, my favourite Rush music was done in the 70s and early 80s, when according to Alex, they were stoned a lot while writing. So, what kind of hypocrite am I? That kind, I guess.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 3

In two days pot will be legal in all of Canada. For the record, I am booze, dope and tobacco free... I have never used any drugs (weed included) and I have never even touched a cigarette. But, I did my share of drinking and puking back in my teens and very early twenties. I threw up on a policeman’s foot once… that was funny as shit. I recall him trying to jump out of the way. The cop didn’t share the same sense of humour as I did back then.

Typically, I am against any man-made thing that causes people’s minds to change. I prefer the natural approach. Just imagine what the world would be like if there were no alcohol... never invented, never even heard of it. The police wouldn't be nearly as busy, for one. Although I am against alcohol and drugs (yes, even marijuana) I think pot SHOULD be legalized if alcohol is. (I wish neither were ever invented.) Both are simply a different form of a man-made substance that causes the mind to change and people act differently, not always in a good way. And, if I HAD to choose between being a passenger in a car driven by a drunk or a stoned dude, I’d go with the stoned dude any day.

From what I have heard about pot, it simply gives a warm buzz, mellows people out. But, it doesn’t make people want to fight, jump off the roof into the pool or bang their best friend’s wife at a drunken “reunion” bash. When people are hammered on booze, they often make assholes out of themselves. I did many times. And, on at least three of my previous relationships, I had to put an end to them because the woman I was with was a drunk and I couldn’t put up with it.

With legalization, my concern is that, in time, other drugs will be legal too. One guy said to me that he thought “recreational cocaine” should be legal. I said, “Oh, is there a different kind other than recreational?” I have also heard from many people that the pot being used today is much stronger than the stuff from back in the 60s and 70s.

I read the article in the first post and I must admit, my favourite Rush music was done in the 70s and early 80s, when according to Alex, they were stoned a lot while writing. So, what kind of hypocrite am I? That kind, I guess.

A lot of classic rock songs were written under the influence of pot and other mind altering substances. From my experience pot and drugs like lsd and mushrooms can enhance ones artistic mind. You can even hear things while listening to music that you never heard before while under the infuence. Cocaine on the other hand impairs one's artistic imagination. Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

I don't think the slippery slope argument is really applicable here. there just isn't really a strong meth lobby or coke lobby, or even a hallucinogens lobby, for someone to be concerned about the legalization of all drugs

I think legality would make bud harder to get for kids. sadly, this may mean they raid the medicine cabinets at home, which they already do in droves. anyway, what I mean is think about the regulation aspect - it was much easier to get weed when I was in high school than it was to get booze. frankly, it was easier for me to get LSD in high school than it was for me to find an older person willing to buy me booze when I was underage.

• Like 2

It’s a crime that marijuana isn’t legal at least medicinally as I’ve had friends recovering from chemo who swear it’s the only thing that helped them struggle through the side effects of the treatment.

As I’ve grown older I’d rather get eat a thc gummie and sip on some tea rather than slam beers and have a hangover. The marijuana train is coming so we’d better get in it or get ran over by it.

Marijuana is probably going to end up being the “Soma” of our Brave New World.

• Like 2

Well, not quite new but not quite old, either. The April issue of High! Canada included a cover feature on the boys.

You can read the cannabis-friendly piece here: https://www.cygnus-x...ada-04.2017.php

Enjoy-

This is very cool! I totally appreciate it. Thanks for posting. I didn't know about and because of you I know and read it.

Rush rules! Will always rule! :cheers: :yay: :fistbump:

• Like 2

It’s a crime that marijuana isn’t legal at least medicinally as I’ve had friends recovering from chemo who swear it’s the only thing that helped them struggle through the side effects of the treatment.

As I’ve grown older I’d rather get eat a thc gummie and sip on some tea rather than slam beers and have a hangover. The marijuana train is coming so we’d better get in it or get ran over by it.

Marijuana is probably going to end up being the “Soma” of our Brave New World.

beats 1984

• Like 1

A lot of classic rock songs were written under the influence of pot and other mind altering substances. From my experience pot and drugs like lsd and mushrooms can enhance ones artistic mind. You can even hear things while listening to music that you never heard before while under the infuence. Cocaine on the other hand impairs one's artistic imagination.

While a member of The Guess Who, BTO, and beyond Randy Bachman never did any drugs or alcohol throughout his career and he wrote some classic rock songs. Burton Cummings on the other hand was the other way around. Randy described himself as 'born to be mild' and Burton was 'born to be wild'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMY6vTStCU

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

The boys don’t do drugs!!

[/snowflake]

hell, the boys did plenty of cocaine and ecstasy in the day, didn't they?

Yep, they did as well as drank and smoked cigarettes and weed too.

OH NO NOT THE DREADED CIGARETTES

• Like 1

The boys don’t do drugs!!

[/snowflake]

god, I remember those threads

I remember at the end of the time machine tour, someone here was offended that geddy said "thanks for an awesome f***ing tour!" because swearing isn't classy

Cannabis is a plant - and like countless other plants - has some extremely beneficial properties ... What is unique to cannabis is the receptors is binds to in the human body - it is exclusive and if there was one plant that is perfectly suited to be medically helpful, it is cannabis ..

I believe that much of the growing support is due to the overwhelming medical evidence in concussion and other traumatic injury reports - this just cannot be denied ..

This is yet another example of the pharmaceutical industry villainizing something that they could not put a patent on or profit from .. And now that there is so much evidence in favor of, they have no choice but to concede ..

The downside will be that in time, Bayer or Sandoz or whatever medical monstrosity it may be will try to make a synthetic version, then patent that claiming it covers both synthetics and the real plant ...

This coming from someone who has never in his life smoked it ... I got a NJ medical marijuana license when I was debilitated with nerve issues from lyme disease, and the effects it has on the immune system can be insanely beneficial ...

My best friend's poor mother never understood why some of her butter knives were all blackened on the ends.

I should buy her a new set one of these days.

• Like 1