Here's an interview you guys can help me with...

Rod in Toronto

Rod ask Jordon Rudess about the composition he created dedicated to Allan Holdsworth. Mr Rudess has stated Holdsworth influences everyone he works with. Just interested in what he saw in Allan that was unique, and as far reaching musically as Mr Rudess suggests.

If you can ;)

Cheers

Good question! Which song was that?

I don't think it has a formal name. It's going by the "GeoShred clip Alan Holdsworth tribute". I think it was a personal gesture rather than anything commercial.

He will know what you mean :D

https://www.facebook.com/jordanrudessofficial/videos/10154645980692989/

I will be talking on Skype with Jordan freaking Rudess of Dream Theater next Friday!!!! Does anybody have questions for him? I have a few:

1) What kind of path do you think your career would have taken had you not joined Dream Theater;

Great first question. I'd drop the mic and end the interview right there on a high note. :P

• Like 1

I'd ask him about being a jazz(?) artist playing in a metal band. Not sure exactly how to phrase it, but it would seem the song writing angle would be challenging. Does he improvise the solos to keep it interesting for himself? It would *appear* that even in a super talented prog band like DT, that the music is often well beneath him and his more traditional/classically trained approach. [fwiw, I'd ask Adam Holzman of Steven Wilson fame the same question... something like "you played with Miles Davis, and now Steven Wilson. Should you be on suicide watch at this point in your career?"] Edited by stoopid

Biggest influence: Wakeman, Banks, or Emerson? And why?

Emerson

That was his reply exactly, but he commented on the style of all three.

Here's a snapshot I took of my computer screen - he suggested we added video. Such a cool guy!!!

JOrdan-carai.png

• Like 5

Biggest influence: Wakeman, Banks, or Emerson? And why?

Emerson

That was his reply exactly, but he commented on the style of all three.

Here's a snapshot I took of my computer screen - he suggested we added video. Such a cool guy!!!

JOrdan-carai.png

I can't wait to read this interview now, or watch it, or however it works.

• Like 5

This week. We will have the transcript tomorrow, so until Friday I'll post it here.

I'm willing to share the audio of the interview with whoever likes our page on Facebook and shares the article on their timeline.

• Like 2

This week. We will have the transcript tomorrow, so until Friday I'll post it here.

I'm willing to share the audio of the interview with whoever likes our page on Facebook and shares the article on their timeline.

What's the facebook page?

• Like 1

This one: https://www.facebook.com/lotsofmuzik/

Feel free to add me on Facebook too!

• Like 1

Eagerly awaiting the new Haken. Read the review, not sure if it's any good since I haven't heard the album yet. :P But your larger points about the band seem spot-on.

Do you like Opeth? I just wrote a review of their new live album!

• Like 1

Will do.

When did you move to Toronto?

Will do.

When did you move to Toronto?

April 2017.

Hey Rod. Ask Jordan who the girl in Treeducks sig is.

Oh I see you did the interview already. I dont think I’ve ever actually heard him talk. I actually had a serious question but perhaps it was gone over already.

Chances are that I'll be talking to James LaBrie soon, so I can always ask HIM your question. Will that work?

Eagerly awaiting the new Haken. Read the review, not sure if it's any good since I haven't heard the album yet. :P But your larger points about the band seem spot-on.

Do you like Opeth?

I do, very much. The preview sounded (and looked) great. Usually I skip live albums (I still don't own Haken's), but this one was an immediate much have when I heard that mix.

It's funny you mention Opeth, because them and Haken are my biggest new likes in prog. Followed by Frost and Riverside.

Edited by stoopid

Oh I see you did the interview already. I dont think I’ve ever actually heard him talk. I actually had a serious question but perhaps it was gone over already.

Chances are that I'll be talking to James LaBrie soon, so I can always ask HIM your question. Will that work?

I was wondering how much Rudess was involved in the DT composition process, if his skills were more as an arranger or does he feel he acts as more of colorist a la Rick Wright of Pink Floyd. Maybe this has been answered before. I don't read too much of the press on them though I do like their music.

• Like 1

Do you like Opeth?

I do, very much. The preview sounded (and looked) great. Usually I skip live albums (I still don't own Haken's), but this one was an immediate much have when I heard that mix.

It's funny you mention Opeth, because them and Haken are my biggest new likes in prog. Followed by Frost and Riverside.

I interviewed the main guy in Riverside and one of the guitar players of Haken very recently. Check out our website!

I was wondering how much Rudess was involved in the DT composition process, if his skills were more as an arranger or does he feel he acts as more of colorist a la Rick Wright of Pink Floyd. Maybe this has been answered before. I don't read too much of the press on them though I do like their music.

That is somewhat addressed in the interview: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-in-our-new-album-well-go-back-to-the-roots-and-the-core-sound-of-the-band?fbclid=IwAR2PiDSHTTxrej0Tp-IlgVXecREs9KEOXb64kK7pKAQl4RDE9eI6ThUnuWo

• Like 2

That is somewhat addressed in the interview: https://lotsofmuzic....4RDE9eI6ThUnuWo

You rock, Rod.

:_)

• Like 1