Opinion on future RUSH anniversary reissues

RushFanForever

Perhaps some of you are suggesting they stop them after Signals because all they do is remind us how old we're all getting. Most of you geezers will be dead by the CA 40th! :P

All true

By then the boys may be dead and out on tour as holograms....

Their heads will tour a la Futurama.

• Like 2

Depending what is in, and added with anniversary editions, they can get to be an endless cycle. Edited by Derek19

The Power Windows box will have a working power window on the front. When you push the button, it will roll down to reveal that skinny blond dude looking out at you with that blank stare - the same blank stare a lot of older fans had on their faces when they heard the album for the first time - that sort of look of blank, existential despair. Inside will be a pair of binoculars that show pictures of the band members with their fascinating mid-80s haircuts.

It's one of the three best records they ever did.

Hemispheres, PeW and Moving Pix. There is no room in the top 3 for any other album.

I have it #5 (and Signals #4)

My top 3 has not changed for decades.

Waves

Hemi

Pictures

Edited by Todem

In terms of extra content, live versions and covers only go so far for me. I was hoping for demos and unreleased songs. The only worthwhile part of the reissues is the amazing supplementary art, but it's not worth $200 for me to look at some pretty pictures. In 11 years I'll buy it for Presto, and I would have bought it for CoS but that's it.

Just got my Hemispheres cd's today....I guess I'm a little disappointed in the fact that they included an old bootleg concert (albeit it sounds better than most of the versions I've heard) and took measures to include another version of 2112, rather than include a live version of Hemispheres! There HAS so be something in the vaults from when they were touring....

Another nice thing would have been an alternate mix, or something...

Now on the other hand... does anyone think that the PW release (when, in 2020?) will have a full concert with the Hemisphere's suite included? Remember, they recorded a bunch of shows in anticipation of a live album, but shelved it in favor of MP???

I've never bought any of these anniversary reissues and have never been tempted to.

If there's anything truly special in a reissue I will hear it for free at some point. I seriously doubt I would find anything in a reissue to justify the purchase.

This seems to me to have becone sort of a lame surrogate for new material.

I mean no offense in saying so; I realize that many Rush fans really appreciate this stuff; it just isn't something I pay attention to.

Rush retired. I've heard this all before.

• Like 1

Now on the other hand... does anyone think that the PW release (when, in 2020?) will have a full concert with the Hemisphere's suite included? Remember, they recorded a bunch of shows in anticipation of a live album, but shelved it in favor of MP???

Hope I'm wrong, but we're going to get St. Louis 1980 (about 80 minutes of it anyway.) Seems like any real money in the budget for these went to Hugh Syme.

• Like 1

Hope I'm wrong, but we're going to get St. Louis 1980 (about 80 minutes of it anyway.) Seems like any real money in the budget for these went to Hugh Syme.

Not a horrible show, but incomplete.... There are a few great bootlegs out there that could work with anything Cygnus/Hemisphere related

It seems like theses re-issues, etc... anniversary things... are cash grabs. Most bands are doing it these days, but if it makes them money, they are in the business of making money. So, why not?

Recently there was a poll done which compiled 'The 50 best albums of the 80s' by Louder Magazine.

Moving Pictures (#5), Permanent Waves (#17), Signals (#29), and Presto (#49) all made the list.

Cool that Louder would hire a Rush fan but they shouldn't steal too many employees from 7/11

Just noticed it was voted by readers. Nevermind, good work guys. Back to work, the slushie machine is broken..