Rush: a rock band for introverts (Part One: Limelight)

PermanentMovingSignals

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I've read a bit of your essay, and you have a very clear and direct writing style. I'll read the whole thing when I have more time.

You should know - or you may know - that there are some fans on the forum who have lost patience with Peart, so be prepared for that...

No need to stop at two songs - why not pick some other songs from the repertoire, maybe ones that haven't been too heavily discussed (if there are any!) and work towards a book-length project? There are lots of books about the band, but if you have a new perspective, why not?

• Like 3

I don’t how I never took the time to really read Limelight that closely, but I’m glad I just read you’re article because I didn’t ever do that. To someone who’s heard the song many a time over the past 6 years or so, you enlightened me to a poetic cadence I wasn’t aware Peart was using, scentences broken up by line lengths which have hidden their full meaning from me until now. Also clarifying some diction I couldn’t quite make out with Ged’s vocals (lol). I thought it was gilded gate, but it’s guilted cage, which is afar more meaningful image. I didn’t realize how he used the juxtaposition between those who wish to seem and those who wish to be until now. I knew he juxtaposed them, but not quite what he meant. Also didn’t realize for those who think and feel was part of the same scentence as in touch with some reality (probably because I though he said indulgements of reality). You really brought greater meaning to this song for me and I thank you for it. Good job!
  • Like 2

:clap: Great read. :cheers:

Retired in 2018? Some folks here think that already happened in the early eighties. :LOL:

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive comments! I'm glad you guys like the article!

If you want you can like the Facebook page of my blog, so you can see when I post a new article. I don't have too many followers yet so it would be great if you like my page here:

https://www.facebook...idersandmisfits

You can also follow my blog on Twitter here:

Thanks!

Edited by PermanentMovingSignals
  • Like 1

I didn’t realize how he used the juxtaposition between those who wish to seem and those who wish to be until now.

I always thought it was "those who wish to see, those who wish to be," so the real meaning was lost on me until now!

• Like 3

Good article. Accurately portrays how people identify with this song. Can't say I had any overwhelming epiphanies this time though, as I'd definitely read these lyrics word for word before. I think that goes to show how vital these words can be when someone relates to the song's message. The fact that I wanted to memorize them and sing along when I played this song illustrates its pathos immensely. Good article nonetheless. I look forward to the next time you write about Rush.
  • Like 1

These articles made me think of this 2009 interview with Steve Howe here with the following question and comment:

Q: Yes and Asia have got to have lots of crossover fans, or you wouldn't be touring together. Yet the groups are quite different. Could you say how?

A: Back in the 1970s, Yes went out of its way to make it as noncommercial as possible. It was always more, let's say, indulgent, introverted, and classically complex -- call it even highbrow. Asia was never like that. We carried maybe a little of what was later called progressive, but Asia was always more extroverted, and doesn't mind being a bit commercial. We like a good tune, and we're not ashamed to say that.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1