The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 - The Holy Grail of Whisky

Principled Man

macob.1926v2.jpg

A bottle of Scotch whisky fetched £848,000, or $1.1 million USD, at an auction on Wednesday smashing the world record.

Distilled in 1926 and bottled in 1986, The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 60-year-old, referred to as “The Holy Grail of whisky,” was auctioned by Bonhams in Edinburgh.

What stands out with this bottle is the label’s artwork and the limited number produced. At the time, renowned pop artists Valerio Adami and Peter Blake were commissioned by Macallan to design labels for 24 bottles, with each artist contributing to 12 bottles.

Adami, now 83, is an Italian painter best known for his bold and colorful imagery outlined by black lines.

It’s unclear how many of those Macallan bottles are still in existence, but they’ve made headlines at other auctions.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Perfect for enjoying while reading your new copy of this...

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images-2018/bass-le.jpg

Neil will soon be releasing "Neil Peart's Scary Scandalous Scrapbook of SCOTCH"...... :o

• Like 1

FFS.....It's not even particularly good whisky.

I'm definitely not an expert on whisky. I've had minimal experience with it. Zero experience with scotch.

I did buy my best golfing buddy a nice bottle of Rabbit Hole Bourbon - straight from Kentucky. Super smooth...... I could get used to drinking that.... :drool:

• Like 1

FFS.....It's not even particularly good whisky.

I'm definitely not an expert on whisky. I've had minimal experience with it. Zero experience with scotch.

I did buy my best golfing buddy a nice bottle of Rabbit Hole Bourbon - straight from Kentucky. Super smooth...... I could get used to drinking that.... :drool:

I tried bourbon a few times but it was TOO smooth, I've always liked whisky with a little bite, it's hard to go past JD's neat. I can't really buy it though, I don't want to get addicted, it would be too easy.

They started a Northern Harvest blend a couple years back, very smooth!