Condemned Songs

On 11/20/2023 at 7:38 PM, condemned2bfree said:

Very nice Stephen, great job with the vocal production, you achieved both warmth and clarity....heartfelt message lyrically too.

Still hearing a hint of The Big O  in your voice which is certainly no bad thing!

Lovely acoustic guitar tone too.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 2:09 PM, Fridge said:

Very nice Stephen, great job with the vocal production, you achieved both warmth and clarity....heartfelt message lyrically too.

Still hearing a hint of The Big O  in your voice which is certainly no bad thing!

Lovely acoustic guitar tone too.

Thanks for the response Paul. I'll never again do a song like this. It's just too hard to mix. There's so much at stake, as it's bare bones and all exposed. Trying to get the vocals and guitar to sound full, yet right as it's just them, was too much of a pain. I've done lots of other tracks with guitar layers that make the vocals easier to blend for me, that I'll release soon. More rock stuff and not as twee as this, which grates even for me:laugh:. Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, condemned2bfree said:

Thanks for the response Paul. I'll never again do a song like this. It's just too hard to mix. There's so much at stake, as it's bare bones and all exposed. Trying to get the vocals and guitar to sound full, yet right as it's just them, was too much of a pain. I've done lots of other tracks with guitar layers that make the vocals easier to blend for me, that I'll release soon. More rock stuff and not as twee as this, which grates even for me:laugh:. Cheers.

Funny you say that about mixing guitar/vocal only music, as it's what I started recording 30+ years ago so it's easier for me actually than trying to fit the many layers typical in modern music.  I guess the idea is to just give the guitar and vocal their own space in the sound field and it can be something as simple as a bit of panning.  Most of the effort IMO is capturing the parts cleanly with a mic, and EQing unwanted stuff out and only adding a touch of reverb.  That is of course one man's opinion, there's no wrong way to mix as long as it also sounds good to someone other than the mixer.  :biggrin: