What if Natural Science had been a full blown epic?

tas7

Dog Years should have been a full-blown epic on Test For Echo.

Dog Years (18:35)

i. Out of the Litter

ii.To the Bone

iii. The Season of the Itch

iv. The Dream: Chasing Cars

v. Galapagos

vi. The Final Growl

Now I want to break down every song into an epic.

Tai Shan, you're next!

• Like 1

Dog Years should have been a full-blown epic on Test For Echo.

Dog Years (18:35)

i. Out of the Litter

ii.To the Bone

iii. The Season of the Itch

iv. The Dream: Chasing Cars

v. Galapagos

vi. The Final Growl

Now I want to break down every song into an epic.

Tai Shan, you're next!

Ok I'll try

Tai Shan

i.. Journey to China in first class

ii. The Trek to the Holy Mountain - hey someone should clean up these Panda droppings

iii. The Summit to the Holy Mountain - f***ing GPS signal sucks up here

iv. The Descent to the Valley - out of my way Asian peasants - no autographs!

v. The Journey continues - are there any decent roads in this hell hole country?

vi. The Travesty - What do you mean BMW doesn't have roadside service in China?

vii. The Trek to the Departure - the trip to the airport aboard a haywagon with a broke down BMW pulled by two geriatric oxen.

viii. The Departure at Last - what f***ing primitive airline doesn't serve Macellan in first class?...and I'm sick of Rice so stick that up your arse!

"I swear when I get home I'm gonna write the shittiest Rush song ever about this misadventure."

• Like 3

As to whether or not there are surviving demo tapes of Sir Gawain and The Green Knight, the members of Rush have all said at one point or another that there are none, either of Gawain and The Green Knight or anything else.

But the question of whether or not 'lost' Rush tapes may exist or not is also one of those questions about which they've been frustratingly inconsistent. Most of the time to be sure they say there are no unreleased Rush tracks, and that any such 'lost recordings' that may have existed have already been released (e.g. Garden Road, Not Fade Away, Bad Boy).

But every now and then in an interview, Alex will say something like "I'm sure I have [insert 'lost track' name or names here] in a box somewhere..."

My suspicion is that there may be more unreleased material than they typically admit to but that if so it's so poor in quality they regard it as insalvageable for release.

But I'd love to hear even incomplete starts and stops or very rough cuts of anything previously unreleased, particularly anything from what would have been on Gawain and The Green Knight.

Edited by rftag

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IF?????

"Natural Science" is a masterpiece on it's own!

WHAT IF DONALD TRUMP WAS NEVER BORN????????

All of you would be dancing in the streets shooting off rainbow fireworks made of pixie dust and unicorn confetti.

God bless Ayn Rand and Neil Peart!!!!!

RUSH ON LIBERALS!!!!

YOU RULE THE EARTH!!!!

PRAISE JESUS!

LOL!

Jacob's Ladder could be retooled a bit, thematically it is not inconsistent with Natural Science and would make the overall song almost 17 minutes. Clearly they would have to write some musical and lyrical progression to lead them together.

Switch Entre Nous and Different Strings with Jacob's Ladder.

Now side 1 is 18:50

Side 2 is 16:45- leaving a lot of room to write the progressions that would attach the sections.

Now, I'm no composer- and maybe this just musically couldn't work- but I do think the themes can be readily written into one overarching work.

Now, that said, Natural Science is a perfect song already, and I see no need to make it a longer epic. I'm just throwing out a way they might have done it.

I tried something similar a while back with 2112 - integrating the side 2 songs into 2112.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/92852-2112-concept-album/

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Hey it’s the CD age (or more correctly the streaming age) and we don’t have to bother with 20 minute a side vinyl restraints.After Different Strings finishes let NS go for 50 minutes.I worked in a record shop in79/80 and I am sure we were demonstrating these fandangled shiny discs then.

I've had visions of an extended, acoustic version of NS with Al playing 12 string, balls to the wall, violent, electrified acoustic guitar, in the style of the late great Michael Hedges.