Will Neil Peart's bank account render this subforum relevant again one day?

That One Guy

I have seen this "net worth" website and I find it very disturbing that people's personal wealth (or not) is out there for all to see. How much money someone has (or not) is none of anyone's goddam business but their own. Also, I don't know how anyone could even know about someone's personal wealth. Did someone call Neil and ask him? Thank you, Internet. And, no, I doubt very highly that Neil needs or wants more money. He is a retired drummer. Leave him alone.

No. I paid for his lifestyle. That bitch owes me.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. If Pratt didn't want his private life scrutinized, he should have stayed at the parts counter. Indeed, we have funded his "retirement". Unparalleled as a drummer, however his social skills are stunted.

From an artist’s point of view the Vegas residency concept makes a ton of sense and probably makes for a nice stable income.

The fans come to them and they doesn’t get road weary, get to have a normal home life...sounds like a musician’s dream rather than whoring out (though it can be).

"Whoring out"...No way. Like you said, they're off the road, living comfortably while they're there, they can host their families and the income potential is more than stable. I'd go to Vegas to see Rush any day of the week.

I'm not sure I understand the point of the thread title unless the op is implying his funds will run low due to not being in Rush. First of all there's royalties but beyond that he makes money from his books. Plus his wife is an accomplished photographer. I'm sure he's not hurting.

In Ghost Rider, in the late 90s, he talked about talking to his accountant about his finances, and learning that he didn't have enough money to retire for good yet. I imagine this time around he was sure, but who knows. He knows that a single leg of a tour nets him millions. That can influence a man, even years after he might have been "done".

Also in Ghost Rider Neil mentions that he was asked by management what to do about a warehouse full of band equipment that was costing them money with little income coming in so wouldn't they have the same situation now, a similar decision if the band is over?

Yard sale baby!

• Like 1

Also in Ghost Rider Neil mentions that he was asked by management what to do about a warehouse full of band equipment that was costing them money with little income coming in so wouldn't they have the same situation now, a similar decision if the band is over?

Yard sale baby!

One dollar for the kimono and not a penny more!

Yard sale baby!

divvy it up amongst the fans. Some have shelled out thousands in tickets, merch, and media :LOL:

Has anyone on this forum spent... $5,000? Maybe $10,000 on Rush, all things considered, throughout the decades?

A lot of us have helped fund a LOT of motorcycle tires and fifths of The Macallan

This is a bit of a departure from the topic of the OP, but it's in the same frame of mind. I've often wondered why Neil felt the need to retire from everything band related. I mean, I completely understand the his retiring from touring, but why completely rule out the possibility of making music with the band ever again? It's hard for me to imagine someone giving up something that they have "loved" doing almost all of their life. I mean, I have read and heard what his various reasons are for doing so, but it's just difficult for me to totally relate to all of those reasons. For instance, I know he has said before that one of his biggest challenges is, (and I'm paraphrasing) "can I still labor over drum parts and lyrics like they are the most important things in the world?" I guess I understand that. For a person like Neil, maybe it's all or nothing. Either I'm 100% committed or it's not worth doing. So maybe he feels like he doesn't have the desire to practice his drums and stay at top form anymore. And that, itself, is reason enough for him to not want to play drums or make music anymore. But even though I understand that kind of reasoning, it's still hard for me to swallow. I feel like, man, if I loved music that much, and I've loved playing and creating it so much throughout all of my life... I'd still want to play it and create it, even if I wasn't as good as I was when I was young. I mean, the music could still be very good, even if my technical and physical abilities weren't as good. And let's be real, even if Neil was only half as good as his younger self, that would probably still be better than 50% of the drummers in the world. So I think he could still make great music. Another thing he has said is that after Clockwork Angels, he felt like they had reached the pinnacle of their creativity as musicians. Maybe he meant that like there was nothing left for Rush to explore musically, for him. But can an artist ever really know that? Does he know definitively that there is no more musical inspiration left in him? Don't get me wrong, I understand Neil's personality and how serious he is about his convictions, and I respect him. So I'm not questioning his decision to retire as if it were not real, or justified. I'm simply pondering (out loud) whether or not it was absolutely necessary for him to retire from all of it. Seems like that would be very hard for many people to do in the same circumstances... but, we're not Neil.

To some people, music or whatever his/her career is or was, isn't everything. The guy wants to retire... he has a family and a life beyond music. He is 66 now... I cannot understand why people don't get this. He doesn't need the money. Maybe he just wants to do nothing. That would be me after 40 something years of being in the spotlight, touring... all of it. If he was 76 and wanted to retire, some people would still say he bailed on them. How selfish.

This is a bit of a departure from the topic of the OP, but it's in the same frame of mind. I've often wondered why Neil felt the need to retire from everything band related. I mean, I completely understand the his retiring from touring, but why completely rule out the possibility of making music with the band ever again? It's hard for me to imagine someone giving up something that they have "loved" doing almost all of their life. I mean, I have read and heard what his various reasons are for doing so, but it's just difficult for me to totally relate to all of those reasons. For instance, I know he has said before that one of his biggest challenges is, (and I'm paraphrasing) "can I still labor over drum parts and lyrics like they are the most important things in the world?" I guess I understand that. For a person like Neil, maybe it's all or nothing. Either I'm 100% committed or it's not worth doing. So maybe he feels like he doesn't have the desire to practice his drums and stay at top form anymore. And that, itself, is reason enough for him to not want to play drums or make music anymore. But even though I understand that kind of reasoning, it's still hard for me to swallow. I feel like, man, if I loved music that much, and I've loved playing and creating it so much throughout all of my life... I'd still want to play it and create it, even if I wasn't as good as I was when I was young. I mean, the music could still be very good, even if my technical and physical abilities weren't as good. And let's be real, even if Neil was only half as good as his younger self, that would probably still be better than 50% of the drummers in the world. So I think he could still make great music. Another thing he has said is that after Clockwork Angels, he felt like they had reached the pinnacle of their creativity as musicians. Maybe he meant that like there was nothing left for Rush to explore musically, for him. But can an artist ever really know that? Does he know definitively that there is no more musical inspiration left in him? Don't get me wrong, I understand Neil's personality and how serious he is about his convictions, and I respect him. So I'm not questioning his decision to retire as if it were not real, or justified. I'm simply pondering (out loud) whether or not it was absolutely necessary for him to retire from all of it. Seems like that would be very hard for many people to do in the same circumstances... but, we're not Neil.

This. I play in local bands with a couple guys in their 60s, and they love it as much as when they were teenagers. Granted, it's a different thing entirely to do it at Neil's level for so long. But between Geddy's comments that Neil isn't playing at all, and the rumors that there's not even a kit at his house, just strike me as sad. It's a shame that he's apparently lost his love for the art.

^^^ Nice post, but I think Neil viewed 'drumming' as something to conquer, as much as a vehicle for expressing himself. His later interviews seem to convey that he climbed that mountain and wanted to move on to something else. Considering his growing physical limitations, it was a fairly logical decision he's very at ease with....

Don't get me wrong, I do understand all of the various reasons why Neil may have chosen to retire and completely stop playing, and I don't begrudge him at all. I'm not of the opinion or mindset that he owes anyone anything, My post was merely expressing that it's just a bit hard for me to comprehend that he would choose to quit playing his instrument, and quit creating music altogether. Of course, it's not that he doesn't have the right to do that. I was just contemplating about how difficult it is for me to imagine an artist doing that, especially after a lifetime of doing it. I don't think he necessarily lost his love for the instrument or for making music, but like we have all been suggesting... perhaps he just felt like there were too many other important things in his life that he needed to concentrate on. Music was just one of his many interests, albeit probably the most significant one throughout his life. And from what he has mentioned many times, he has to be 100% committed to something, if he's going to do it at all. So perhaps he no longer feels he can invest himself 100% to playing and making music. And for all we know, he may take random trips to the DW workshop and get some leisure playing in once in a while. (doubtful, I know) But whatever the case may be, yeah, I think many of us share the feeling that it would seem like such a shame if he never plays again, much less creates any new music ever again.