2: AFTK

3. 2112

4: FBN

4.5: Hemi

5: MP

[Hard to limit it to 5 any day.]

I change my mind a lot.

• Like 1

I guess this will increase my post count.

1. AFTK

2. PeW

2.5. MP

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. CA

5. PoW

EP, you're no longer a teenager, so there's mo excuse for you not being able to count to 5 !!

tenor.gif

You're right, I'm no longer a teenager, and I'm in college. There are infinite ways to count to five, especially considering it wasn't specified we had to start with 1. I simply chose one of the more reasonable paths to five out of the infinity. 1, 2, 2.5, 2.75, 3, 4, 5.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/32/e0/a908efc3b781530efd8cd6d259c8-is-humanity-becoming-less-intelligent.jpg

• Like 1

1. AFTK

2. PeW

2.5. MP

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. CA

5. PoW

EP, you're no longer a teenager, so there's mo excuse for you not being able to count to 5 !!

tenor.gif

You're right, I'm no longer a teenager, and I'm in college. There are infinite ways to count to five, especially considering it wasn't specified we had to start with 1. I simply chose one of the more reasonable paths to five out of the infinity. 1, 2, 2.5, 2.75, 3, 4, 5.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/32/e0/a908efc3b781530efd8cd6d259c8-is-humanity-becoming-less-intelligent.jpg

#qualitypendantryisquality

• Like 2

1 Moving Pictures

2 Permanent Waves

3 Hemispheres

4 A Farewell to Kings

5 2112

Move Signals into Hemispheres’ slot, and then move Hemispheres into AFTK’s, and you nailed it.

Signals is third to last for me, after Test For Echo and the debut.

Different strokes. It’s too similar to MP and PeW, and it’s sufficiently different from what came after it and GUP, to not be considered among their best work.

I do not think it is similar to Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures at all, bar Vital Signs.

But he songs I enjoyed I really enjoyed this time around:

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

Chemistry (surprised)

The Weapon

Losing It

Countdown

Still not a fan of Digital Man at all.

• Like 1

1. AFTK

2. PeW

2.5. MP

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. CA

5. PoW

tenor.gif

In the age of "alternative facts", this makes perfect sense. ������

When you count change, do you count by one 25 times per quarter?

No. But now you're asking me about a quarter of a dollar. One album can not simply be construed as a quarter of an album to make it fit the framework of an argument. I'm sure you could easily convince 45% of America to buy into and vigorously defend this logic though. ������

Most of the last 30 years of Rush's career consists of albums that could be construed as quarters of albums. They are considerably more enjoyable when consumed in that manner, though Presto could charitably be better compared to a dime and Snakes to a nickel.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

I refuse to let 2112 out of my top 3, so I prefer to count them in that manner. Glad to see this has started a lively discussion of maths though.

I refuse to let 2112 out of my top 3, so I prefer to count them in that manner. Glad to see this has started a lively discussion of maths though.

The discussion of math is just a pretense to bash Presto and Snakes, and other post peak Rush for that matter...

• Like 1

1 Moving Pictures

2 Permanent Waves

3 Hemispheres

4 A Farewell to Kings

5 2112

Close...

1. MP

2. Hemi

3. PeW

4. AFTK

5. 2112

My top 3 are so close anyway. The one thing is that MP is either #1 or #2 at all times

Very close but I can't ever dislodge the ridiculous perfection of MP from #1, however thrashed. Hemi and PeW have swapped #2 and #3 a few times over the years but Hemi just by a whisker for a long time now.

• Like 2

1. AFTK

2. PeW

2.5. MP

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. CA

5. PoW

tenor.gif

In the age of "alternative facts", this makes perfect sense. ������

When you count change, do you count by one 25 times per quarter?

"four coins" = http://images.nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/columns/intelligencer/dollar051212_175.jpg

but...

"four coins" ? = http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/37500/37585/dimerow-10_37585_sm.gif

"four coins"? = original-1716551-3.jpg

"four coins"? = pennies.jpg?w=307&h=203

• Like 1

1 Moving Pictures

2 Permanent Waves

3 Hemispheres

4 A Farewell to Kings

5 2112

Close...

1. MP

2. Hemi

3. PeW

4. AFTK

5. 2112

My top 3 are so close anyway. The one thing is that MP is either #1 or #2 at all times

Very close but I can't ever dislodge the ridiculous perfection of MP from #1, however thrashed. Hemi and PeW have swapped #2 and #3 a few times over the years but Hemi just by a whisker for a long time now.

For me, it’s like this...

MP has been #1 80% of the time. Hemis has taken #1 20%. PeW has always been #2 or #3. It means Hemis has varied the most of the three but none of them has ever gone out of the top 3. This likely will never change.

• Like 2

1 Moving Pictures

2 Permanent Waves

3 Hemispheres

4 A Farewell to Kings

5 2112

Close...

1. MP

2. Hemi

3. PeW

4. AFTK

5. 2112

MP has been #1 80% of the time. Hemis has taken #1 20%. PeW has always been #2 or #3. It means Hemis has varied the most of the three but none of them has ever gone out of the top 3. This likely will never change.

That three-album run is the sweet spot, for sure.
  • Like 4

1 Moving Pictures

2 Permanent Waves

3 Hemispheres

4 A Farewell to Kings

5 2112

Close...

1. MP

2. Hemi

3. PeW

4. AFTK

5. 2112

Yep it sure is. For me Hemi is always #1 though, and MP is always a close 2nd. The gap to PeW is a little larger, but all 3 are still pretty close, and always at the top.

• Like 2

1 Moving Pictures

2 Permanent Waves

3 Hemispheres

4 A Farewell to Kings

5 2112

Close...

1. MP

2. Hemi

3. PeW

4. AFTK

5. 2112

Right. I can’t think of any other band who’s had a better three in a row. Hell, I can’t think of a band who’s had 3 better albums not in a row either.

The next great 3 in a row I can think of by another band would be Dark Side - Wish You Were Here - Animals. I love these 3 albums. They’re all A+ ones too. And they’re my 2nd favorite band/artist. Yet those 3 still don’t come anywhere near MP-PeW-Hemis.

• Like 2

1 Moving Pictures

2 Permanent Waves

3 Hemispheres

4 A Farewell to Kings

5 2112

Close...

1. MP

2. Hemi

3. PeW

4. AFTK

5. 2112

These^^^^...
  • Like 1

S&A never got in my top 5, probably not top 10 even tbh but giving it a lot of play lately and rediscovering the maturity and variety of it all. Tracks like good news first and the larger bowl weren't anything special to me years ago but loving em now

Might try slotting it into my top 5 to see what happens

VT

S&A

PoW

CoS

CP

Lol crazee sh*t, Left Waves out which is note perfect and been my fav rush album for aeons. Also HYF not in which is just bonkers. Kinda works though, i like the idea of S&A in there, the band at their most mature i think, and love all the acoustics in it. So varied.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

Today’s answer

In order

Power

Vapor

Clockwork

Caress

That’s a good variety of different styles from the band

Edited by Red3angel
  • Like 1

Today, anyway:

1. AFTK

2. PW

3. MP

4. Hemi

5. 2112

I see I committed a most unfortunate typo. The #2 slot should read PeW, not PW!

lol, can't be getting those two mixed up

• Like 2

1. Vapor Trails

2. A Farewell To Kings

3. Hemispheres

4. Moving Pictures

5. 2112