Dave Grohl announces solo 23-minute instrumental and accompanying doc/video

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dave-grohl-announces-solo-project-play-23-minute-song-and-mini-doc-705529/

In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel he kinda makes a big deal about how he recorded it and how the video features seven of him on camera at once each playing different instruments, but what he kinda fails to emphasize is the fact that he's composed a 23 minute continuous instrumental piece, which I believe he's never actually done before, and would be his longest track to date with any group iirc?

I went ahead and preordered it on iTunes because it's dirt cheap. 2.98 for the track and the video, comes out this friday. I don't know quite what to expect other than it being heavy rock, but he mentioned he played piano on it, and I think a saw a xylophone in pictures...so this could get interesting.

• Like 1

Based on Grohl’s stuff for the last 20 years, I’d wager it’s palatable with some occasional crunch, though nothing scrumptious. Kind of like eating toast without any spread.

What I was thinking as well. He's no virtuoso.

• Like 1

Based on Grohl’s stuff for the last 20 years, I’d wager it’s palatable with some occasional crunch, though nothing scrumptious. Kind of like eating toast without any spread.

that's a pretty funny description

• Like 1

He's one talented musician. I have this album of demos he made back in 1991. Pretty good stuff from a drummer since he plays all of the instruments.

He certainly doesn't sit on his ass. Nirvana, Foos, Probot, Them Crooked Vultures... etc.

We'll see. Like bathory said, good for him for doing something weird.

• Like 1

The question will be 'how weird'. I don't suspect too weird, because he's a grounded (mostly) mainstream rock artist. And he has a fan base.

I'll still watch it once it reaches youtube.

The question will be 'how weird'. I don't suspect too weird, because he's a grounded (mostly) mainstream rock artist. And he has a fan base.

his probot side project featured collabs with tom warrior, lemmy, snake, king diamond, eric wagner, wino, other underground players

his probot side project featured collabs with tom warrior, lemmy, snake, king diamond, eric wagner, wino, other underground players

And the TCV project (which I love) isn't exactly mainstream, but he's not the primary / driving force behind the music. On his own (a la Foos) things are much more straight forward. This isn't a negative point I'm making, he writes good songs, but he's not the musician I'd think would pull off a 23 minute long instrumental on their own. Out of musicians I follow/respect, if he even made the list of possibilities he would be at or near the bottom.

Time will tell. It's going to be out soon.

Edited by stoopid

And the TCV project (which I love) isn't exactly mainstream, but he's not the primary / driving force behind the music. On his own (a la Foos) things are much more straight forward. This isn't a negative point I'm making, he writes good songs, but he's not the musician I'd think would pull off a 23 minute long instrumental on their own. Out of musicians I follow/respect, if he even made the list of possibilities he would be at or near the bottom.

Time will tell. It's going to be out soon.

I feel ya. I don't even like foo fighters

Bump cuz it's out.

I like it! Quite epic in places, shows a real workout of Dave's capacities on each instrument (drums are obviously off the hinges).

My only caveat is that much of it sounds like it's missing a lead melody part. Could've been a synth or guitar solo type of thing, or just something a little less riffy if he wanted to keep it instrumental, but if he'd laid down vocals I think I'd love it even more.

• Like 1

The interviews at the beginning and production is great. Music is generally forgettable (and I recognize some progressions/tropes I've heard in other Foos material), although it's quality rock and I want to pee slightly left of saying this stinks.

Bump cuz it's out.

I like it! Quite epic in places, shows a real workout of Dave's capacities on each instrument (drums are obviously off the hinges).

My only caveat is that much of it sounds like it's missing a lead melody part. Could've been a synth or guitar solo type of thing, or just something a little less riffy if he wanted to keep it instrumental, but if he'd laid down vocals I think I'd love it even more.

Yea it sounds unfinished. Vocals might just make it great.