Captain D-bag's latest book: Far And Wide

edhunter

Why do his political beliefs matter?

They don't (except to him, maybe), but he apparently likes to talk about them and so makes for conversation among those who care to talk about them.

• Like 2

They don't (except to him, maybe), but he apparently likes to talk about them and so makes for conversation among those who care to talk about them.

With as bad as his religion bashing lyrics are, I can only imagine him trying to shoehorn lines about political beliefs into a song...

With as bad as his religion bashing lyrics are, I can only imagine him trying to shoehorn lines about political beliefs into a song...

I bet the non-religious among us have no issue with his "religion bashing".

• Like 1

i'm atheist....pretty much as far atheist as you can be but at times it get's on MY nerves, lol

Mick

• Like 2

I have zero problem with religion bashing. Just don't suck at it

Why do his political beliefs matter? He was a musician not running for office.

There are some musicians and lyricists who’s work is simply partying and banging chicks. There are others who believe they have a voice and a responsibility in using that voice. Peart is certainly more the later. He was a person of influence for many finding light in libertarian ideology.

• Like 1

I have never really heard him bash religion. However, he does comment on the absurd and unjust things that some people do in the name of God.
  • Like 2

I have never really heard him bash religion. However, he does comment on the absurd and unjust things that some people do in the name of God.

Read the link in the OP.

Put the religion bashing lyrics to music like Freewill and BU2B and I have no issue with it. Put it to the desultory, turgid "melodies" on Snakes and they're intolerable.

• Like 3

I was accused of bashing the Catholic church on TRF because I brought up the fact that many priests have molested children and the church was letting it happen and covering the stories up. I just don't get stuff like that? How is that bashing the Catholic church?
  • Like 2

I was accused of bashing the Catholic church on TRF because I brought up the fact that many priests have molested children and the church was letting it happen and covering the stories up. I just don't get stuff like that? How is that bashing the Catholic church?

It's bashing them, but it's well deserved bashing. Bashing is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 3

It's bashing them, but it's well deserved bashing. Bashing is not necessarily a bad thing.

It is not bashing. It is just a fact.
  • Like 4

One assumes when heinous, indefensible behavior is mentioned that there's also a moral component to it beyond the facts. It would be pretty rare to just leave it as being factual without considering it as the acts of reprobates. These are not morally ambiguous acts.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

One assumes when heinous, indefensible behavior is mentioned that there's also a moral component to it beyond the facts. It would be pretty rare to just leave it as being factual without considering it as the acts of reprobates. These are not morally ambiguous acts.

It is what it is, and whatever.
  • Like 1

This is all well known. It has often been labeled a "scandal" so its no big secret. Perhaps some might bristle at "the church was letting it happen" since the church could mean every member. Perhaps those offended would have preferred too many in church leadership.

• Like 2

Maybe because it was certain powerful people within the church that should be your target. Did you clarify that?

This is all well known. It has often been labeled a "scandal" so its no big secret. Perhaps some might bristle at "the church was letting it happen" since the church could mean every member. Perhaps those offended would have preferred too many in church leadership.

This.

It's not bashing at all. The only people who would think so are the people who get defensive because the organization they've devoted their allegiance and money to, has allowed priests to molest and rape children and did nothing to stop it. So much for the Pope having a direct line to his god. I'd say that if their god was as infallible and omniscient as they claim, he'd have sent along a message to do something about those pedophiles.

They should look at the Mormon hierarchy. They get all kinds of timely messages telling them stuff like polygamy is no longer allowed (even though it was a core tenet of their beliefs) just as the federal government announces they will send troops if that practice isn't ended.

• Like 2

^^^ Well, those Mormon's are such a timid bunch.... ;)

...cue...3...2..

Sorry...Maine hasn't discovered the internet yet. I would say the same thing to Ford as I would to Neil. Religion bashing is fine. But if you want to be taken seriously, don't suck at it. They both do...

...cue...3...2..

Sorry...Maine hasn't discovered the internet yet. I would say the same thing to Ford as I would to Neil. Religion bashing is fine. But if you want to be taken seriously, don't suck at it. They both do...

From a religious perspective, is there ANY religion bashing that would be considered good, especially that which is directed to the religion one is a part of? I bet if I was bashing Scientology, you'd cheer me on (by the way, it's all the same from a bashing perspective, just with different names).

• Like 1

...cue...3...2..

From a religious perspective, is there ANY religion bashing that would be considered good, especially that which is directed to the religion one is a part of? I bet if I was bashing Scientology, you'd cheer me on (by the way, it's all the same from a bashing perspective, just with different names).

Only if you're factually accurate, which you have never been with the Mormons, at least since I've been around.