Captain D-bag's latest book: Far And Wide

edhunter

Almost hate to weigh in here . . .

We're talking about the ramblings of a high school dropout rock drummer who happens to be pretty well read and has traveled a lot and had lots of experiences, some affirming, some not so much. His writings reflect where he is at this point in his life. Even if there is the odd thing that makes me raise an eyebrow, I can't help thinking that he's generally a well-intentioned cat who wants the best for people. He often takes shit for being preachy or whatever. Lots of lyricists are preachy. You either write lyrics about gettin' it on, being sad about not gettin' it on anymore, or about trippin' (usually obscure), or you write lyrics about what you think is happening in the world and what it means - and all of that is a product of unique and personal experience. I'd like to think most readers get that, and try not to hate the guy for expressing his thoughts.

Who is most preachy - the preachers, those who preach about the preachers, or those who preach about those who preach about the preachers?

"Preach" is a weird looking word when you type it that many times. I don't even know if I'm spelling it right any more.

• Like 7

I am and have always been a huge fan of Neil Peart as a fantastic rock drummer and lyricist of Rush. To this day I am still in awe of his work with Rush.

Once the band started opening up and doing more and more interviews, documentaries etc, you got to actually get some real insight into the type of people they are.

(Remember when they were mysterious? Remember before the internet age you would scour any magazine article or wait up to listen to Rockline and try and call in to get any kind of insight about the band?)

I can say with the highest degree of confidence that I would never...ever care to hang out or socialize with a guy like Neil Peart. Not my cup of tea at all. I only really enjoyed one book of his and that was Ghost Rider. It was not a great book by any stretch, but I was really interested about his road to healing after the incredible tragedy that engulfed his life in 1998 and pretty much almost ended the band I love and adore. I don't care about his politics, or beliefs. Does not mean one iota to me in terms of my feelings about his music. But I am not fond of his attitude in his books and the condescending tone he takes with certain people, beliefs or what not. He is the definition of "socially akward". If I saw him in public I seriously would not even approach him nor even let him think I know who he is.....because he wants it that way. He has made that abundantly clear. No problem man. I will love your work with Rush and leave it at that.

Alex is a great personality and does not take himself seriously at all. I could have a beer, play golf and have a good time hanging out with Alex. He is approachable, seems sincerely genuine and is a good guy. Got my 2 minutes with him at a meet and greet and he treated my son so well....made my night watching him and Geddy interact with this little 6 year old fan wearing a Rush shirt. They really got a huge kick out of it and made it feel personal. And my son to this day remembers that night and is a huge Rush fan and a heck of a drummer.

Geddy....he is a bit reserved, a little quirky, but seems down to earth and cool. Would be a great guy to watch a ball game with for sure.

I like all three of them as the fantastic musicians they are and the music they gave us. And I actually found the band far more exciting when I barely knew anything about them personally if that makes any sense. They were like super heroes to me when I was 13 and learning every note of their music on my guitar. Such great times back in 82/83 when I really went head deep into their entire catalog after discovering them with Moving pictures in 81.

Neil's books for me are long winded and again....not really interesting.

The music? Oh we all know that is a different story.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 10

I would argue that the way people on a message board are making character judgments about Neil are a big part of why he is the way he is about fans in the first place, but that's just me.

Yep, it's just you. He's not given fans a chance to make judgments based on anything but his actions and his writings, all of which happened before some fans started making character judgments. When you write about fat Wal-Mart types and fearing that someone has recognized you, it isn't too hard to figure out his mindset.

• Like 4

Was I supposed to read all that?

Only if you've suffered through one of Neil's books...

Pass. I've got some paint drying...
  • Like 6

I would argue that the way people on a message board are making character judgments about Neil are a big part of why he is the way he is about fans in the first place, but that's just me.

Mmmmmm I have to disagree with this.

Neil through the Camera Eye and with his lyrics to Limelight and many many other lyrics in the more mordern era of Rush (Snakes and Arrows more in particular) has made it clear he is not a social cat. He does not have that personality to be an interactive type of person. And hey I am cool with that. He wants to be left alone. That is who he is. Totally dismisses religion....very clear and again..I don't care.

The broad generalizations that he makes in some of books about other people, religion etc is his opinion. And that's cool. So his fans can have opinions on who they think he is as a person based solely on what he allows us to find out about him.

And not all of it is rainbows and roses.

My opinion based on what I have read, seen and heard him say is....not the kind of person I would be friends with.

Not a big deal.

He was a f***ing amazing drummer.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

Alex is a great personality and does not take himself seriously at all. I could have a beer, play golf and have a good time hanging out with Alex. He is approachable, seems sincerely genuine and is a good guy. Got my 2 minutes with him at a meet and greet and he treated my son so well....made my night watching him and Geddy interact with this little 6 year old fan wearing a Rush shirt. They really got a huge kick out of it and made it feel personal. And my son to this day remembers that night and is a huge Rush fan and a heck of a drummer.

WOAH AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am and have always been a huge fan of Neil Peart as a fantastic rock drummer and lyricist of Rush. To this day I am still in awe of his work with Rush.

Once the band started opening up and doing more and more interviews, documentaries etc, you got to actually get some real insight into the type of people they are.

(Remember when they were mysterious? Remember before the internet age you would scour any magazine article or wait up to listen to Rockline and try and call in to get any kind of insight about the band?)

I can say with the highest degree of confidence that I would never...ever care to hang out or socialize with a guy like Neil Peart. Not my cup of tea at all. I only really enjoyed one book of his and that was Ghost Rider. It was not a great book by any stretch, but I was really interested about his road to healing after the incredible tragedy that engulfed his life in 1998 and pretty much almost ended the band I love and adore. I don't care about his politics, or beliefs. Does not mean one iota to me in terms of my feelings about his music. But I am not fond of his attitude in his books and the condescending tone he takes with certain people, beliefs or what not. He is the definition of "socially akward". If I saw him in public I seriously would not even approach him nor even let him think I know who he is.....because he wants it that way. He has made that abundantly clear. No problem man. I will love your work with Rush and leave it at that.

Geddy....he is a bit reserved, a little quirky, but seems down to earth and cool. Would be a great guy to watch a ball game with for sure.

I like all three of them as the fantastic musicians they are and the music they gave us. And I actually found the band far more exciting when I barely knew anything about them personally if that makes any sense. They were like super heroes to me when I was 13 and learning every note of their music on my guitar. Such great times back in 82/83 when I really went head deep into their entire catalog after discovering them with Moving pictures in 81.

Neil's books for me are long winded and again....not really interesting.

The music? Oh we all know that is a different story.

:goodone:

Got nothing against neil. but you couldn't pay me to read his books.

You couldn't pay me to read through this thread. ;) ;)

• Like 1

i didn't but let me guess. bitter Fans neil Bashing?

i'm just spit balling here.

Mick

Mick

Pretty much.

I don't get it, why do people care what Neil or any other musician they like is as a person? Did you plan on becoming friends with them? He gave us 40 years of great music and that's the only thing that matters. His job wasn't to be our friend it was to provide music for people to enjoy.

• Like 4

Mick

Pretty much.

I don't get it, why do people care what Neil or any other musician they like is as a person? Did you plan on becoming friends with them? He gave us 40 years of great music and that's the only thing that matters. His job wasn't to be our friend it was to provide music for people to enjoy.

For Rush Fans. it really does come down mostly the fact that Rush is done. so they lay it all at neil. Like he forced Ged and Al to never work again. they can work whenever they like. just Rush as a unit is Done.

and the other thing. they are old, lol I know Al was hurting as was big bad Neil......grow up and move on i say, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Mick

Pretty much.

For Rush Fans. it really does come down mostly the fact that Rush is done. so they lay it all at neil. Like he forced Ged and Al to never work again. they can work whenever they like. just Rush as a unit is Done.

and the other thing. they are old, lol I know Al was hurting as was big bad Neil......grow up and move on i say, lol

Mick

I'm fine if they want to retire but don't use some excuse about how they can't do their best work any more. Presto is close to 30 years old, so it's been longer than that that they've been able to say that.

• Like 2

As an indie of 5 years, I say being to a political party you disagree with doesn’t make someone a douchebag to me alone. It’s their behavior. There’s rational people and idiotic jerks in all parties. Chris Rock said it best, “just be a f-ing person.” I don’t hate Neil at all.

Drew Carey and Penn Jillette are libertarians I have respect for as well.

• Like 3

For many us we’re disappointed libertarian Peart became liberal/progressive Peart. We got angry when he became an insufferable obnoxious jerk about it.
  • Like 3