Some backhanded RUSH love!!!

alieninvasion76

Just had to post the link to this blog: "Dream Theater: stop trying to be Rush 2.0, start trying to be Dream Theater".

While the guy does make some interesting points, mostly, whether you're a Dream Theater fan or not, I'd be tickled pink seeing a band whose career has evolved this far beyond its early, self-professed Rush fan boy days, and yet still can't quite get completely over their "first love"!!!

The blogger's detailed comparisons and inferences may or may not upset Dream Theater fans, but Rush fans will certainly revel in this...

http://mrdreamtheater2retirementmessage.blogspot.com/2018/03/dream-theater-stop-trying-to-be-rush-20.html

• Like 1

As a Dream Theater fan I can say this guy is full of shit. They were trying to be Rush long before the last few albums lol.

I thought when Portnoy was with them, the Rush influence was more obvious due to how many needlessly long songs they had on his last three albums with them. But I never thought they were trying to be Rush. They were wearing their influences on their sleeves like they've always done. Rush did the same exact thing throughout most of their career. So who were they trying to be like?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

As a Dream Theater fan I can say this guy is full of shit. They were trying to be Rush long before the last few albums lol.

I thought when Portnoy was with them, the Rush influence was more obvious due to how many needlessly long songs they had on his last three albums with them. Portnoy was always trying to write his Xanadu or Hemispheres. But I never thought they were trying to be Rush. They were wearing their influences on their sleeves like they've always done. Rush did the same exact thing throughout most of their career. So who were they trying to be like?

i love DT always will. but when Portnoy was there they had every single influence RIGHT OUT THERE!! lol. i really do think Portnoy would play an album that week......doesn't matter what album.....and he'd go.

"YO bro.....this is going in the next DT tune!!"

lol......and i don't think i'm that far off.

Mick

• Like 1

This article really isn't revealing anything new since Dream Theater fans have known for a few decades how big of an influence Rush is on them.

it's just needless DT dumping.....which as a loyal fan. got old about a decade ago, lol

yes they tend to nick stuff from their favs......don't really care.

Mick

• Like 2

Not going to bother reading that, but Dream Theater have usually tended to stay close to the Rush aesthetic. The musical influence was pretty obvious on the first album and shows up intermittently over the years. But more than that is the business influence. Petrucci seems to have that "What would Rush do?" attitude for a while now.

I see no reason why DT should stop trying to be Rush.Although i am not keen on the idea of bands doing covers on the anniversary sets(2112,AFTK)i would have been thrilled if i was in DT to play Xanudu.It took me sometime to warm to DT (LaBrie's voice,too much fiddly nonsense)but i absolutely love them now and i am looking forward to the next album like i would a Rush album.I was somewhat disappointed with The Astonishing ,not so much the music,but basically the same idea as 2112 stretched over a gazzillion songs over two hours in which Rush did in twenty minutes.But overall i like it when bands put their own little influences into their music from their heroes.I don't mind this Greta von Zeppelin or whatever they are called,at least its keeping rock music alive instead of fiddling with drum machines and tunelessly rapping about brothers in the hood.

Some very interesting responses here!!

Though, whatever your take on whether DT is often too "Rushified", I tend to think of them more of what would result if nature permitted offspring as a result of a 3-way. In this instance the proud parents would be Yes, Rush, and Metallica.

Certainly I love how Dream Theater, thanks to the virtuosity of Emerson/Wakeman heir apparent Jordan Rudess*, manage to weave that keyboard ladened, classic British prog flavour into that dense forest of metal. And when Yes finally pack it it, DT may be the closest thing we have to a worthy custodian of that particular genre!!!

* Though Rudess, by consensus, appears to have inherited this crown, original DT keyboardist Kevin Moore kicked ass on "Images and Words" (my co-favourite DT album along with "Metropolis - Pt. 2"). Definitely Moore, whose inability to "play well with others" made his departure inevitable, must be given credit for his role in establishing this facet of DT's sound!

Edited by alieninvasion76