Let's play "what's your cell phone?"

HemiBeers

I have a dumb flip phone on Virgin Assurance wireless, which operates on Sprint's equipment. It's an older phone that isn't holding a charge to well, and with similar P's o S buying a new battery costs nearly as much as a new flip phone.

So now I'm researching Android phones that are compatible with my current plan and hopefully can find one that works. Otherwise I would need to buy a compatible Apple i phone, and that's NGFH. I'll switch my number to old fart Consumer Cellular before I give Apple a dollar.

Up until a few weeks ago, I'd only ever had a dumb phone (a flip phone). I was rather proud of the fact I'd gotten so far without a smart phone, but unfortunately I'll be studying abroad next year (that's not the unfortunate part, lol), and my school has required me to acquire a smart phone. Much more fortunately I was offered a free smart phone by my best friend, so it's made the whole process much simpler not having to buy one. Therefor I have an iPhone SE, but I vow not to fall for it's addiction.

I was using a flip phone until March of last year. I too was proud that I was able to hold out for that long, but I'm also really glad to be using a smart phone now. Texting and navigation alone are worth the upgrade.

Seems I am not the only one who held onto their flip phone as long as I could. Motorola Razr, had it since 2007 and it survived two dunks in the water too! (had a great case that helped). Finally had to upgrade due to calls dropping out too often. Did my research and for a little over $300 got a Moto G5 plus and a hardcase. Has been good so far but still it dials stuff up when I put it in my bag. Have T-Mobile +55 for me and hubby and that helps keep the cost down. Will say it is nice at times to be able to google stuff when needed.

• Like 3

iPhone X, 256GB on AT&T for me. I’ve been with them since the Cingular days in 1993. Mainly because they are the only service where I live. As far as the iPhone, I’ve had one of those since the second released version (3G, 16GB) mainly because of the iPod functionality in the phone. A phone and an iPod together? Hell yea! That is still the main reason I use an iPhone. I think it’s the coolest thing to carry around 14,000 songs in your pocket!

I have a 256GB iPhone 7 and started with the 3G for the same reason. Plus the pictures. I have about 100 pictures of the 9 years I spent traveling months through many different countries. With my smartphone I have everything I could ever want on virtual film. I’m glad I didn’t have this in college, but it is essential as a father.

iPhone 4. I'm amazed it still works, given Apple's business of killing old models. Edited by Hunted Witch
  • Like 2

iPhone 5s

I have zero plans to upgrade. No way in farking Hell will I spend a thousand dollars on a telephone. :no: :no:

• Like 3

iPhone 5s

I have zero plans to upgrade. No way in farking Hell will I spend a thousand dollars on a telephone. :no: :no:

OK, so ten months later, did I spend a thousand dollars on a new phone? OF COURSE NOT!

But I did buy an iPhone 8 Plus for pretty darned cheap ($360). My eyesight isn't getting any sharper, and the old phone's battery is going all Jeckyl/Hyde on me. The 8 Plus is a larger phone with a lot more memory, and my monthly bill will be virtually the same. :)

Verizon pissed me off for the last time last month, so we had a chat with T-Mobile. They replaced our Galaxy S7 phones with S10's, and let us keep the S7's. They gave us 2 Timex wristwatch phones (for reaching the kids at school) and upgraded the iphone 6 we're using as a home landline with an iPhone 8. We even got full insurance on the Galaxy's. At the end of day our bill went DOWN, from $205/mo to $180. And the customer service is awesome (so far).

I will say I have noticed more areas where there is no signal than with Verizon, but that's no big deal.

All Verizon had to do was agree to match an offer on a SINGLE new phone from Best Buy. I was all set for my bill to go up $20/mo. Dumbasses.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

I upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro Max a couple weeks ago, I really like it. I did have a iPhone 8 plus.

I'm jealous! A friend has one and his photos are amazing, like landscape magazine amazing. I'm hard on phones, though, so I stick to the low cost ones.

• Like 1

One strange thing about my new phone. I bought it on Best Buy’s website, which quoted me $40 a month for a single phone, 5G data plan. Verizon’s website had the same plan for $60 a month. I’ll be double checking my bill, to make sure it’s legit!

One strange thing about my new phone. I bought it on Best Buy’s website, which quoted me $40 a month for a single phone, 5G data plan. Verizon’s website had the same plan for $60 a month. I’ll be double checking my bill, to make sure it’s legit!

Sure enough, Best Buy and Verizon did me wrong.

Offense #1: As a new customer, I selected the sale price of $15.00 a month for 24 months for my new phone. Verizon ignored it and is charging me $23.00 a month. I spent an hour getting Verizon to fix it. :rage:

Offense #2: At no time during the ordering process on Best Buy's website did a "Smartphone line access" fee of $20.00 a month appear. I signed up for a $40.00 a month data plan, but I am now being charged $60.00 a month. $40.00 for the data plan and $20.00 for the Line Access Fee. :rage: :rage:

I was always an HTC man. Then they stopped making phones and I hung onto my HTC One M10 for as long as I could until it just stopped working. I liked the sense UI over all the other android interfaces. It wasn't different, so to speak, just more intuitive. Everything seemed to be exactly where it belonged.

Now I have a Samsung S10+. I don't like it. Like, at all.

• Like 1

I was always an HTC man. Then they stopped making phones and I hung onto my HTC One M10 for as long as I could until it just stopped working. I liked the sense UI over all the other android interfaces. It wasn't different, so to speak, just more intuitive. Everything seemed to be exactly where it belonged.

Now I have a Samsung S10+. I don't like it. Like, at all.

I kept my M8 for as long as possible, because it was great. I still have it even though it doesn`t work properly. I knew I couldn`t get anything comparable so got a Samsung A10, which has been fine, but I have no love for it. How everyone didn`t adore HTC and make them the greatest phone company in the word always surprised me.
  • Like 1

Oh my gosh,you guys can laugh! :lol: :lol: I have just spent the past week having to evaluate and research flip phones! :lol:

My elderly mom has finally decided that is what she wants. (She drives alone quite a bit so she needs one. Previous experiments with even the simplest smart phones and "easy" interfaces have not worked. Fingers crossed for the consumer cellular talk only flip phone.) All the other flip phones I found run on 3G only and I keep hearing that is going away.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Oh my gosh,you guys can laugh! :lol: :lol: I have just spent the past week having to evaluate and research flip phones! :lol:

My elderly mom has finally decided that is what she wants. (She drives alone quite a bit so she needs one. Previous experiments with even the simplest smart phones and "easy" interfaces have not worked. Fingers crossed for the consumer cellular talk only flip phone.) All the other flip phones I found run on 3G only and I keep hearing that is going away.

One of the best phones I had was a flip phone. I liked the fact it was compact and fitted in my pocket, but unfortunately the universe decided it wanted phones the size of a large hardback book.
  • Like 4

One of the best phones I had was a flip phone. I liked the fact it was compact and fitted in my pocket, but unfortunately the universe decided it wanted phones the size of a large hardback book.

I agree! My favorite phone was my Nokia candy bar phone, but those went away as well. I used it until about 3 1/2 years ago. :lol: One time a young kid cashier said to me, "How does that thing even work?"

• Like 3

My elderly mom has finally decided that is what she .wants. (She drives alone quite a bit so she needs one. Previous experiments with even the simplest smart phones and "easy" interfaces have not worked. Fingers crossed for the consumer cellular talk only flip phone.) All the other flip phones I found run on 3G only and I keep hearing that is going away.

Go for it! I've been with Consumer Cellular for a couple years now, great signal and coverage. Older phone (Samsung Galaxy J3), more than suffiecent, but it's not a flip phone, may be too much phone. The Link II advertised on their site looks like a winner.
  • Like 2

My elderly mom has finally decided that is what she .wants. (She drives alone quite a bit so she needs one. Previous experiments with even the simplest smart phones and "easy" interfaces have not worked. Fingers crossed for the consumer cellular talk only flip phone.) All the other flip phones I found run on 3G only and I keep hearing that is going away.

Go for it! I've been with Consumer Cellular for a couple years now, great signal and coverage. Older phone (Samsung Galaxy J3), more than suffiecent, but it's not a flip phone, may be too much phone. The Link II advertised on their site looks like a winner.

Thank you for the tip! Glad to hear Consumer Cellular is easy to work with!

• Like 1

I agree! My favorite phone was my Nokia candy bar phone, but those went away as well. I used it until about 3 1/2 years ago. :lol: One time a young kid cashier said to me, "How does that thing even work?"

Oh wow, I loved my Razr I bought in 2007 and kept using until 2018. That was so simple to use and easy to carry, felt like I was calling Scotty to beam me up :lol:. I had a really good case for it and it fell in the water twice and I was able to take the battery out and dry it and it still worked. I finally gave in and bought a Motorola G5 since the Razr was having trouble with the network. I have kept the Razr and use it for an alarm. Saw the flip phones that came out last year, over $1,000.00! :o Guess when my phone goes out I'll try the Consumer Celluar ones. Hope that works well for your Mom. :ebert:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1