Question about ipod playback (people still use these, right? :P )

Mika

Hi everybody! Long time no see! :hi: I hope you're all doing well!

So, I have a 160GB ipod classic, that I listen to tons of music on. I don't seem to be able to figure out a way to do what I want to do, which is this:

-have the ipod randomly select an album to play and also:

-have the ipod play that album's songs in random order, instead of from 1-onward

I can do either of these things, but not combined together; I can have the ipod choose albums to play randomly; for example, it might select Counterparts, but it will play the songs from 'Animated' through 'Everyday Glory' in sequence, whereas it'd be fun to listen to them in random order for something fresh and new.

I can have songs played randomly, but ALL the songs from EVERY album.

Or, I can have songs play randomly in a playlist, but it seems very silly to make playlist versions of hundreds of different albums and scroll through hundreds of playlists, which I believe wouldn't be randomly chosen (I'd have to choose the 'album' anyway).

I just want to pop on my ipod and have it surprise me with a random album and random track order.

Does anyone have any ideas, for the ipod? Or any suggestions for maybe a different music player, like with android phone...?

And I hope I'm being clear! :) Let me know if any questions! :D :)

• Like 1

Sounds Like Apple rules to me. I used to be an Apple guy, but they priced themselves out of my life. I am well aware of the stupid rules they make for their hardware. Yes, they can make a lot of things easier, but they seem to LOVE to also make some things IMPOSSIBLE. I just put it down to "YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT" [Thanks to the Glimmer Twins] and that is why I'm NO LONGER an APPLE guy....I still have my G4 but it hasn't been fired up for ten years...

aeRXGkp.gif

Sounds like

Thanks for the responses! The Rockbox program sounds interesting, I'll look into that. And maybe I'm being picky in how I want to listen to my music! :P

You're like me, Mika! I like to listen to my music the way I want to! Thats why I make my "Cruisin' Mix" CDs I make 'em so it's like listening to the radio, with NO BS! like ads, DJs editing etc. All songs I really like! I'm currently working on CM 613, so I have a BUNCH of 'em to play if I wish! [ I DO use the iTUNES program on my Windows PC, because that is the best music handling program I've found so far. Good luck with your search!

nvZbp3P.jpg

Edited by OldRUSHfan

I have the exact same model iPod (had for maybe 4 or 5 years now and it's only around half full, these things are great). I've never tried to do exactly that, but in my experience I don't think that's an option. Like you said, you can choose shuffle songs or shuffle albums, but not both.

I suppose you could hit shuffle albums, then immediately shuffle songs after track 1, then after you hear every song on the album switch it back to shuffle albums to get a new album.

I mean, it's more work but it would work.

I have the exact same model iPod (had for maybe 4 or 5 years now and it's only around half full, these things are great). I've never tried to do exactly that, but in my experience I don't think that's an option. Like you said, you can choose shuffle songs or shuffle albums, but not both.

I suppose you could hit shuffle albums, then immediately shuffle songs after track 1, then after you hear every song on the album switch it back to shuffle albums to get a new album.

I mean, it's more work but it would work.

Aw, I just tried that, and if I try to shuffle songs with an existing album it shuffles ALL the songs, not the album songs. :P I think the best option is to be in the 'albums' choices and close my eyes and randomly select something while on 'shuffle songs' mode, and hit 'play' on the album, and it will play the songs in random order... I just have to do a lot of blind scrolling in the album selection screen!

And I have 3 of these ipods now, 160GB ones... one for my main music (with Rush!), one for 'top 100' music, and one for new music. I wish there was a way to expand the ipod's memory, like with a micro SD card! I can picture myself having several micro SD cards with different music libraries on them. :P

Thanks for the responses! The Rockbox program sounds interesting, I'll look into that. And maybe I'm being picky in how I want to listen to my music! :P

You're like me, Mika! I like to listen to my music the way I want to! Thats why I make my "Cruisin' Mix" CDs I make 'em so it's like listening to the radio, with NO BS! like ads, DJs editing etc. All songs I really like! I'm currently working on CM 613, so I have a BUNCH of 'em to play if I wish! [ I DO use the iTUNES program on my Windows PC, because that is the best music handling program I've found so far. Good luck with your search!

nvZbp3P.jpg

I do like the iTunes music program, too, as it's great for organizing my huge library - I discovered I can use 'tags' like using up the 'comments' box to help organize, like with adding dates and other info from live concerts. iTunes is a great way to find any song I'm looking for! (I just have to remember to hook up my external hard drive properly so iTunes reads it correctly! :P )

• Like 1

Probably, the thing I like most about Rockbox is that there is no need for any software like iTunes. You just drag and drop your music onto the drive. There are also a ton of different skins/themes that you can download and add to it and there are also a bunch of games you can add to it.

Here is a little demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88fOOZYNAE

Here is a tutorial on how to install it:

Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

nvZbp3P.jpg

I do like the iTunes music program, too, as it's great for organizing my huge library - I discovered I can use 'tags' like using up the 'comments' box to help organize, like with adding dates and other info from live concerts. iTunes is a great way to find any song I'm looking for! (I just have to remember to hook up my external hard drive properly so iTunes reads it correctly! :P )

Yeah, I need to do that also....

f2B1C3O.gif