Could’ve should’ve

Red3angel

I would probably say HYF, but that's being generous, as there are a couple of stinkers on it.

Being honest, the last totally killer album was GUP

You like Red Lenses?

For me the last album upon which I truly liked every song was MP.

Although I didn't really 'dislike' anything on Signals either.

Yes I like it, it's quirky and fun and the funky bass at the end is a treat.

I dig it too. Far more than Between the Wheels.

The intro to Between the Wheels grates on me, but the rest of the song is excellent.
  • Like 2

I would probably say HYF, but that's being generous, as there are a couple of stinkers on it.

You like Red Lenses?

The intro to Between the Wheels grates on me, but the rest of the song is excellent.

Bugs me, too. The chorus and solo are great though.
  • Like 1

You like Red Lenses?

It's just the Fly By Night intro, backwards. And on keyboard. And slower, And without the other part of the riff.

You like Red Lenses?

It's just the Fly By Night intro, backwards. And on keyboard. And slower, And without the other part of the riff.

I think Grace Under Pressure was the first album where Alex was being restricted to guitar bursts rather than solos. Afterimage, Red Sector A were screaming out for solos but we got these half chord phrases or a lightning quick Satriani type thing on Kid Gloves. Think Between the Wheels had the only proper solo on the album although I agree with the intro, durr durr durr durr.
  • Like 1

You like Red Lenses?

I think Grace Under Pressure was the first album where Alex was being restricted to guitar bursts rather than solos. Afterimage, Red Sector A were screaming out for solos but we got these half chord phrases or a lightning quick Satriani type thing on Kid Gloves. Think Between the Wheels had the only proper solo on the album although I agree with the intro, durr durr durr durr.

Nadia's Theme, played by a cat.

Even though my favorite era is 2112-MP, I'm happy they ended with CA. They delivered lot of great music and awesome shows over the last 40 years. I got to enjoy 60 of them :)
  • Like 2

The last minute of The Garden was the perfect exit stage left.

Perfect

And funny how the last sound on a Rush studio album, was a cello

Is like they didnt want any of the three band members to play the final note, beautiful man.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 6

I’m in the ‘Clockwork Angels was perfect’ camp.

I'm not but the more time passes and the more I look at other bands of their era...they bowed out in a bloody strong way! It hooked me so much it inspired me to complete my Rush album collection (and that's when CA lost a lot of spark...but they have SO MANY phenomenal albums!).

I think I've been harsh about it before. I might play it now actually and see how it holds up.

• Like 2

Yep, Clockwork Angels was a great way to go out.

If they ended it after Signals like the OP suggests then I probably would have never become a fan. I was too young back then and didn't get into them until the early 90s. I don't think I would have been too interested at that time in getting into a band who had already been retired for a decade. It would have also been a huge blow to my concert going experiences if I wasn't able to see them the 12 times I did.

• Like 2

I just wanted to hear what other rush fans had to say. I actually listen to all their albums love some more than others. I don’t love moving pictures as much as some people do. And I do think vapor trails is completely underrated
  • Like 1

You like Red Lenses?

I can't disagree anymore with this. Red Sector A is one of his finest Guitar Solos. I am a long time guitarist. A proper guitar solo is simply an extension of the melody. Red Sector A is brilliant. Afterimage was brilliant. Amazing chord textures with those solo "sections". Also Distant Early Warning is another classic Alex solo.

Between The Wheels is a more "traditional" guitar solo...so I understand where you are coming from. But the direction he took his guitar playing and lead and incredible textured rhythm work....served the songs perfectly. It was a piece to the puzzle of the direction they took as songwriters. The horn like blasts are more pronounced on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, but he still cranks out sizzling solos on The Big Money, Grand Designs, Marathon, Middletown Dreams, Open Secrets, Mission, Lock and Key and the legendary Turn The Page.

That whole period (82-88) to this day seems so polarizing for Rush fans pre- Permanent Waves. But here is the deal. They were not nearly as big until after Moving Pictures. And once they got the entire new generation of fans from Moving Pictures (me) they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted to as artists to an even higher extreme (because now they had real money in the bank lol)

I love that entire period of Rush from Signals to Hold Your Fire. It was exciting, daring and truly Progressive. To me it defined Rush's brilliance as song writers, players and producers. While hair metal (Motely Crue, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi) and heavy metal (DIo, Ozzy, Maiden) reigned supreme from 82-88 Rush went the progressive/alternative route drawing on influences like The Police, Tears For Fears, The Cure, U2 and created one of the best periods IMO for the band.

Again polarizing and they lost a lot of the more traditional hard rock fans (and I love my hard rock man...don't get me wrong) but they really became Rush IMO 1980-1988. Waves and Pictures are progressive rock perfection and Signals thru HYF Progressive experimentation taken to heights I still to this day can't believe the 3 of them pulled off live.

Awesome shit man.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 5

Rush should have called it quits after Rutsey left the band. J.R. Flood would have gone on to be a mega-group. Neil would not have had as much fan attention since J.R. flood had like 600 guys in it. J.R. Flood would still be going stong today because Neil would not have feelngs of resentment, anxiety, hatred or really really wanting to kill some fans. This forum would probably be named TJRFF if that were the case.

Rush should have called it quits after Rutsey left the band. J.R. Flood would have gone on to be a mega-group. Neil would not have had as much fan attention since J.R. flood had like 600 guys in it. J.R. Flood would still be going stong today because Neil would not have feelngs of resentment, anxiety, hatred or really really wanting to kill some fans. This forum would probably be named TJRFF if that were the case.

There it is. I knew this was gonna happen eventually.

• Like 3

You like Red Lenses?

I can't disagree anymore with this. Red Sector A is one of his finest Guitar Solos. I am a long time guitarist. A proper guitar solo is simply an extension of the melody. Red Sector A is brilliant. Afterimage was brilliant. Amazing chord textures with those solo "sections". Also Distant Early Warning is another classic Alex solo.

Between The Wheels is a more "traditional" guitar solo...so I understand where you are coming from. But the direction he took his guitar playing and lead and incredible textured rhythm work....served the songs perfectly. It was a piece to the puzzle of the direction they took as songwriters. The horn like blasts are more pronounced on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, but he still cranks out sizzling solos on The Big Money, Grand Designs, Marathon, Middletown Dreams, Open Secrets, Mission, Lock and Key and the legendary Turn The Page.

That whole period (82-88) to this day seems so polarizing for Rush fans pre- Permanent Waves. But here is the deal. They were not nearly as big until after Moving Pictures. And once they got the entire new generation of fans from Moving Pictures (me) they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted to as artists to an even higher extreme (because now they had real money in the bank lol)

I love that entire period of Rush from Signals to Hold Your Fire. It was exciting, daring and truly Progressive. To me it defined Rush's brilliance as song writers, players and producers. While hair metal (Motely Crue, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi) and heavy metal (DIo, Ozzy, Maiden) reigned supreme from 82-88 Rush went the progressive/alternative route drawing on influences like The Police, Tears For Fears, The Cure, U2 and created one of the best periods IMO for the band.

Again polarizing and they lost a lot of the more traditional hard rock fans (and I love my hard rock man...don't get me wrong) but they really became Rush IMO 1980-1988. Waves and Pictures are progressive rock perfection and Signals thru HYF Progressive experimentation taken to heights I still to this day can't believe the 3 of them pulled off live.

Awesome shit man.

I'm a guitarist too. But I still think you're stretching it to call them guitar solos. I'd call them guitar/ instrumental interludes as the guitar is tied to the keyboards that are being played. Distant Early Warning is a sort of riff based interlude, After Image is mainly a chordy thing a la The Edge, Red Sector A again is a harmonic chord thing followed by dated cheesy keyboard burst. There's a bit more soloing on the B side and that guitar break in Kid Gloves is among Alex's best.

Power Windows is a far better record IMO, Alex's playing is awesome, Hold Your Fire is a mixed bag, although the live versions of the songs off that album are miles better but once again Alex gets a bit side lined with only Mission having a memorable solo in it.

Could’ve should’ve. What album could’ve or should’ve been their last in your opinion going out on top? I say signals

The last album of the golden era, IMO. But they still put out plenty of quality stuff after that. And Clockwork for me was like a terminally ill patient having one last healthy, lucid stretch to say goodbye to their loved ones.

• Like 1

Hard to answer that one, but if we're talking STUDIO albums, I'd say Counterparts. From a touring perspective, calling it quits wth the T4E setlist would have been epic. From a personal perspective though, imagine if they stopped after Vapor Trails: the last show in their career would be the one I attended in Rio, in 2002!!

Could’ve should’ve. What album could’ve or should’ve been their last in your opinion going out on top? I say signals

The last album of the golden era, IMO. But they still put out plenty of quality stuff after that. And Clockwork for me was like a terminally ill patient having one last healthy, lucid stretch to say goodbye to their loved ones.

Well, since I think p/g is (slightly) better than Signals, and both of them fall appreciably short of MP, the Golden Era lasted through either MP or p/g...I tend to favor the latter view. I would concur with your description of CA, though I think it shortchanged VT a bit.

But really, hadn't they already quit when they released Presto? Songs about wordplay and rock paper scissors scream "we only have one album left on our contract, let's just get it over with and move on."

But really, hadn't they already quit when they released Presto? Songs about wordplay and rock paper scissors scream "we only have one album left on our contract, let's just get it over with and move on."

Sadly, that was the first album of their new Atlantic contract. A Show of Hands was their last on Mercury. So they saw Presto as a rebirth. I tend to see CP as their rebirth.

Well, since I think p/g is (slightly) better than Signals, and both of them fall appreciably short of MP, the Golden Era lasted through either MP or p/g...I tend to favor the latter view. I would concur with your description of CA, though I think it shortchanged VT a bit.

Grace is the first album of the “Wow, lots of synth era,” IMO.

Presto was smack dab in the middle of the aluminum foil era. VT was the first album of the, “Hey we still give a sh^t,” era.

Presto was smack dab in the middle of the aluminum foil era. VT was the first album of the, “Hey we still give a sh^t,” era.

I agree there's a ton of synth on Grace but there was an edge to virtually all of it. After that, not so much.

I was not a fan of VT when it first came out, but it very much grew on me. It's at the bottom of the top ten at this point for me.

The less said about Presto the better.

I agree there's a ton of synth on Grace but there was an edge to virtually all of it. After that, not so much.

I was not a fan of VT when it first came out, but it very much grew on me. It's at the bottom of the top ten at this point for me.

The less said about Presto the better.

I didn’t discover VT until after S&A came out. It has life to it, which is more than you can say about a fair number of its predecessors going back to Grace.

• Like 1

Isn't Signals the first of the "lots of synth" era?