Could’ve should’ve

Red3angel

Could’ve should’ve. What album could’ve or should’ve been their last in your opinion going out on top? I say signals Edited by Red3angel
  • Like 1

Neil was right when he said the peak is never passed. Rush's peak was MP, so that should've been their last if they were going to quit while at the top of their game. That said, I'm glad they chose to go beyond their peak. There were many good songs left in them that came out on their way down from the top.
  • Like 9

Clockwork Angels was superb in my opinion and definitely a sign of going out on top.

Snakes was good enough to prove they should keep going.

Vital was subpar but still showed what they could do.

Test wasn't very good on the whole, but I love Drive.

That's the thing. Every album had proof within that said they still could put out a great album if they caught the right energy. After all, they weakened due to stylistic choices. That's important. Their CHOICES are why they seemed weaker. It's not like they were trying to still be the hard prog band they were in the seventies but just couldn't anymore. They made active choices that proved unpopular. But their desire to try to evolve was present, and to me indicative that they should keep at it. Proved, in my opinion, by the outstanding finale Clockwork Angels.

Now, to me their last GREAT album before Clockwork was Power Windows. But I think they're all good. The weakest to me is Test for Echo, so I suppose if that had been the last it would be a disappointment. But as far as I'm concerned they ended exactly where they should.

If Ged and Al do make music together again and if it is stellar, I'll know I wish Neil had decided to stay. Barring that, Clockwork was a perfect ending. It's better than anything since Moving Pictures.

• Like 6

Agreed that MP was the peak looking back. But stopping at the top sucks. Stop before you're bad, sure. But they were excellent far past MP.
  • Like 5

Agreed that MP was the peak looking back. But stopping at the top sucks. Stop before you're bad, sure. But they were excellent far past MP.

I enjoyed enough of the 90s and 21st century stuff to be glad they continued...even though none of that stuff was ever close to MP

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels. Why would I want to deprive myself of all the great music that I enjoy just as much as the classic material? The went out on top, imo.
  • Like 7

We were spoiled by Rush! We were given opportunities to see Rush play in concert for 40 years, at least every few years, for the most part. If they would have retired after Signals we would have missed so much awesome stuff, so many awesome tours. Also, we would have had only one concert video to represent the band live. They may have made a few questionable albums but they earned the right to do whatever they wanted by consistently putting out amazing albums in the seventies and early eighties. Not too many bands have consistently put out so many great albums. Anyhow, I'd rather listen to a crappy Rush album than a great Justin Bieber album.
  • Like 5

Grace Under Pressure was the last great album IMO. CA could have been but for the production...
  • Like 2

I would probably say HYF, but that's being generous, as there are a couple of stinkers on it.

Being honest, the last totally killer album was GUP

• Like 3

I would probably say HYF, but that's being generous, as there are a couple of stinkers on it.

You like Red Lenses?

For me the last album upon which I truly liked every song was MP.

Although I didn't really 'dislike' anything on Signals either.

You like Red Lenses?

Yes I like it, it's quirky and fun and the funky bass at the end is a treat.

• Like 3

Quit after the Hemispheres tour and they go out as the kings of epic epicness and have everyone forever saying "No telling what they would have done had they stayed together" and the "better than Zeppelin" arguments would have lasted decades

look at this set list! Mama Mia!

Anthem

A Passage To Bangkok

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something For Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Hemispheres

Closer To The Heart

Circumstances

A Farewell To Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In The Mood

Drum Solo

• Like 3

I'm really glad they kept putting out albums. Every single time they did, it was a brief period of excitement and curiosity, and it was frequently an exercise in really wanting to like the record, no matter what I felt deep down...and I think that effort of trying to like what was often a trial to like made me a better person, at least for a few months. Apart from that, I was always a bit of a dick.
  • Like 1

Clockwork Angles

oh wait, that's what they did

Coulda shoulda woulda, and they did. Sounds good to me

Expecting to see someone mention the debut in here, lol.

• Like 3

I am happy with how Clockwork Angels closed their career. It was miraculously well received and gave them the chance to close their career in a stunning, high profile way.

It isn't my favourite but I did briefly loce it for a while back when it came out. It just lost its lustre the more I got into the entirety of their back catalogue.

My favourite album is Vapor Trails. I think musically they peaked at the top of their powers with Moving Pictures. An album I treasure very highly is Hold Your Fire, but their are songs on the three subsequent albums that I love more than anything off of it.

So...I want all the Rush, I am beyond happy with how they went about things.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 5

Just my version of events, being in the UK at the time.

After Signals, the was a big shift in the band, how they looked, change of producer and out came Grace Under Pressure which is a difficult album although has aged well. The big problem was they 'ceased to exist' in the UK,no tours until 1988 whereas they had come pretty much every year and no promotion of Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows... The albums had been entering the UK in the top 10 but faded from Grace Under Pressure, when they finally toured again in 1988 which became A Show of Hands it was like another band because British fans hadn't heard from them since 1983.

My wife is more brutal, says it ended with those bloody awful keyboards!

Edited by tas7

You like Red Lenses?

I dig it too. Far more than Between the Wheels.

You like Red Lenses?

Agreed on the funk.

I guess it's the vocal arrangement for me. It annoys me. The funk is a win, though.