Could’ve should’ve

Red3angel

Could’ve should’ve. What album could’ve or should’ve been their last in your opinion going out on top? I say signals

The last album of the golden era, IMO. But they still put out plenty of quality stuff after that. And Clockwork for me was like a terminally ill patient having one last healthy, lucid stretch to say goodbye to their loved ones.

Well, since I think p/g is (slightly) better than Signals, and both of them fall appreciably short of MP, the Golden Era lasted through either MP or p/g...I tend to favor the latter view. I would concur with your description of CA, though I think it shortchanged VT a bit.

But really, hadn't they already quit when they released Presto? Songs about wordplay and rock paper scissors scream "we only have one album left on our contract, let's just get it over with and move on."

Grace is the first album of the “Wow, lots of synth era,” IMO.

Presto was smack dab in the middle of the aluminum foil era. VT was the first album of the, “Hey we still give a sh^t,” era.

Isn't Signals the first of the "lots of synth" era?

I think the production on GUP is crisp and thin- the Baked Lays to the big bag of Cheetos that is Signals. But GUP also has electronic percussion, which (in my opinion) definitely qualifies as more synth than Signals.

I think the production on GUP is crisp and thin- the Baked Lays to the big bag of Cheetos that is Signals. But GUP also has electronic percussion, which (in my opinion) definitely qualifies as more synth than Signals.

Fair enough.

Could’ve should’ve. What album could’ve or should’ve been their last in your opinion going out on top? I say signals

The last album of the golden era, IMO. But they still put out plenty of quality stuff after that. And Clockwork for me was like a terminally ill patient having one last healthy, lucid stretch to say goodbye to their loved ones.

Well, since I think p/g is (slightly) better than Signals, and both of them fall appreciably short of MP, the Golden Era lasted through either MP or p/g...I tend to favor the latter view. I would concur with your description of CA, though I think it shortchanged VT a bit.

But really, hadn't they already quit when they released Presto? Songs about wordplay and rock paper scissors scream "we only have one album left on our contract, let's just get it over with and move on."

Presto was smack dab in the middle of the aluminum foil era. VT was the first album of the, “Hey we still give a sh^t,” era.

To me, the songs aren’t overwhelmed by the synths on Signals.

• Like 1

Thin is a perfect adjective for GUP.

Clockwork Angels was superb in my opinion and definitely a sign of going out on top.

Snakes was good enough to prove they should keep going.

Vital was subpar but still showed what they could do.

Test wasn't very good on the whole, but I love Drive.

That's the thing. Every album had proof within that said they still could put out a great album if they caught the right energy. After all, they weakened due to stylistic choices. That's important. Their CHOICES are why they seemed weaker. It's not like they were trying to still be the hard prog band they were in the seventies but just couldn't anymore. They made active choices that proved unpopular. But their desire to try to evolve was present, and to me indicative that they should keep at it. Proved, in my opinion, by the outstanding finale Clockwork Angels.

Now, to me their last GREAT album before Clockwork was Power Windows. But I think they're all good. The weakest to me is Test for Echo, so I suppose if that had been the last it would be a disappointment. But as far as I'm concerned they ended exactly where they should.

If Ged and Al do make music together again and if it is stellar, I'll know I wish Neil had decided to stay. Barring that, Clockwork was a perfect ending. It's better than anything since Moving Pictures.

Clockwork Angels is still my favorite, despite the greatness of the past. Think about it. It is endlessly amazing and their heaviest work. Headlong Flight is metal...c'mon. Pure metal. I never thought they had that kind of song left in 'em.
  • Like 3

Thin is a perfect adjective for GUP.

And sometimes I want that thin Baked Lays chip! But I do prefer Cheetos tbh

Headlong Flight is metal...c'mon. Pure metal. I never thought they had that kind of song left in 'em.

It bears a striking resemblance - atleast in the intro - to Bridge Burning by Foo Fighters. I love both songs.

My preference would be for another album, because I feel like Clockwork Angels is their weakest effort in over 30 years. So if there is never going to be another album, I would have preferred Snakes & Arrows be the conclusion to a fine career. To me that is their strongest album since the 80s and a true creative high to go out on.

My preference would be for another album, because I feel like Clockwork Angels is their weakest effort in over 30 years. So if there is never going to be another album, I would have preferred Snakes & Arrows be the conclusion to a fine career. To me that is their strongest album since the 80s and a true creative high to go out on.

They had to make Clockwork Angels to apologize to their fans for the wretched slogfest that came before.

Apology accepted.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

My preference would be for another album, because I feel like Clockwork Angels is their weakest effort in over 30 years.

All I can say is go see your doctor 'cuz if you feel Clockwork Angels is weak you've got issues only a shrink can fix.
  • Like 1

My preference would be for another album, because I feel like Clockwork Angels is their weakest effort in over 30 years.

All I can say is go see your doctor 'cuz if you feel Clockwork Angels is weak you've got issues only a shrink can fix.

Seems you both have major mental health problems on either end of the same spectrum

• Like 2

Seems you both have major mental health problems on either end of the same spectrum

suck me beautiful! Long time no see bud!
  • Like 1

Lol you may enjoy it too much for your comfort babez

• Like 1

Flesh Gordon

I would probably say HYF, but that's being generous, as there are a couple of stinkers on it.

Being honest, the last totally killer album was GUP

You like Red Lenses?

For me the last album upon which I truly liked every song was MP.

Although I didn't really 'dislike' anything on Signals either.

Yes I like it, it's quirky and fun and the funky bass at the end is a treat.

I dig it too. Far more than Between the Wheels.

The intro to Between the Wheels grates on me, but the rest of the song is excellent.

It's just the Fly By Night intro, backwards. And on keyboard. And slower, And without the other part of the riff.

I think Grace Under Pressure was the first album where Alex was being restricted to guitar bursts rather than solos. Afterimage, Red Sector A were screaming out for solos but we got these half chord phrases or a lightning quick Satriani type thing on Kid Gloves. Think Between the Wheels had the only proper solo on the album although I agree with the intro, durr durr durr durr.

I love the solo on Afterimage, myself!

" I love Neil but he destroyed that band. They will never go anywhere now."

- Paul Stanley

Have truer words ever been spoken?

Is that an actual quote?

It is now...

• Like 1

Clockwork would've worked (ha!) better for me and not become yet another drink coaster if it was sung by a much younger Geddy and produced by someone like Terry or Collins and not Nick "No really, the wall of compression will make it sound really good!" R

Some would say they peaked at MP, others would argue for earlier or later albums.

I'm not gonna get into those arguments here, because I disagree, respectfully, with the implication that they should have stopped at their peak.

A great band like Rush is still very worth listening to even past their peak, wherever you define that.

I personally even find Rush's lesser albums worth listening to (I understand of course there are many different opinions as to when they peaked or which are their lesser albums).

I personally think they peaked with PeW, though I often change my mind (I used to share what is possibly the most popular opinion that they peaked with MP).

But if they hung it up after PeW or MP or Signals or PoW or whatever other album some might regard as their peak, we would have lost out on a lot of stuff well worth listening to.

[unless of course you think they peaked with CA, which some do. But even then we would not have had the - in my opinion - awesome R40 tour.]

I'm very happy and appreciative of the fact that they continued on for as long as they did, and while I personally don't count CA as one of their best, I think it was a damn good record for a band that late into their career.

And R40,in my opinion, was one of their best tours of all, despite its short duration and occasional hiccups.

I'm grateful they lasted for as long as they did.

No regrets.

Thank you, Rush, for 40 plus years of great music and live performances.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 2

I don’t get the purpose of the thread. Why would any of us wish they had retired sooner? What’s the upside of that? We got some incredible tours. Remember, they only implemented the “Evening with Rush” format starting with Test for Echo. So we would have missed all those tours, along with tons of amazing songs. Not every album after GUP was great by any means,, but every one of them has at least 2 songs I can listen to for life.

Yes they peaked at Moving Pictures, but that sure as hell doesn’t mean I wish they had just called it a day so that could be their “legacy”. In fact, it would have been.criminal for them to retire when they still had the chops and no internal strife.

To be honest, I’m hard pressed to think of any band that I’d consider retiring at their peak. Can anyone here name a band that fits this category? Maybe Zeppelin? but that wasn’t by choice

• Like 2

The Beatles putting their business and personal squabbles aside to record Abbey Road which contained not only some of their best songs, certainly with Harrison's two contributions, but was also their best produced and mixed is a good example of a band going out on top
  • Like 1