RTB: Only one video. Why?

jnoble

Because the guys realized that videos sucked and didn't work for them and the album sucked as well. So why double down on suck?

That was the beginning of the grunge era as well, so they didn't fit that craze.

Edited by HemiBeers

Most of Rush's videos suck why would you have wanted more of them? They never made many videos in the first place and they were never in heavy rotation on MTV...

Some of them were. Big Money was on a lot, for example.
  • Like 1

Man I would have loved to see MTV in it's prime. Now they have shitty MTV Classic to replace it and they are only playing music videos, and most of the same bands and ones everyday. Only good thing is 120 Minutes Music Videos celebrating the legacy of the show, bc in those 2 hours, at least they TRY to do a good mix of videos, which is nice!! Plus a lot of my fav bands too!! There is also MTV, MTV2, MTV3 (Spanish), and MTV Live, but still, MTV sucks now a days, MTV Live is just okay tbh and MTV is just okay too and so is MTV 2 lmao. Edited by Permanent-Rush

Man I would have loved to see MTV in it's prime. Now they have shitty MTV Classic to replace it and they are only playing music videos, and most of the same bands and ones everyday. Only good thing is 120 Minutes Music Videos celebrating the legacy of the show, bc in those 2 hours, at least they TRY to do a good mix of videos, which is nice!! Plus a lot of my fav bands too!! There is also MTV, MTV2, MTV3 (Spanish), and MTV Live, but still, MTV sucks now a days, MTV Live is just okay tbh and MTV is just okay too and so is MTV 2 lmao.

MTV during the 80s was awesome. I would watch and videotape for hours trying to catch that rare Rush or Judas Priest video.

• Like 2

Man I would have loved to see MTV in it's prime. Now they have shitty MTV Classic to replace it and they are only playing music videos, and most of the same bands and ones everyday. Only good thing is 120 Minutes Music Videos celebrating the legacy of the show, bc in those 2 hours, at least they TRY to do a good mix of videos, which is nice!! Plus a lot of my fav bands too!! There is also MTV, MTV2, MTV3 (Spanish), and MTV Live, but still, MTV sucks now a days, MTV Live is just okay tbh and MTV is just okay too and so is MTV 2 lmao.

MTV during the 80s was awesome. I would watch and videotape for hours trying to catch that rare Rush or Judas Priest video.

Priest was easy to find. Headbangers Ball would usually show something from them. Strangely enough I think that's where I saw the video for RTB. I know Rush was an influence on prog metal but they were far from that label when that album was released.

The whole video taping thing happened in my house as well. My older brother had a tv and vcr in his room. He would record MTV for however long the tape was. Then we would fast forward through and stop and watch the stuff we liked. That's how I was able to watch headbangers ball when I was like 10 or 11 years old.

• Like 2

Because the guys realized that videos sucked and didn't work for them and the album sucked as well. So why double down on suck?

That was the beginning of the grunge era as well, so they didn't fit that craze.

Except that the album reversed the trend of decreasing sales since Signals, is their most popular post 1984 album, and was more present on the radio than anything after MP. Except for that.

Edited by LedRush

Except that the album reversed the trend of decreasing sales since Signals, is their most popular post 1984 album, and was more present on the radio than anything after MP. Except for that.

Rush were never known for their brilliant videos.

• Like 1

True.

But that doesn't matter because Rush didn't need MTV to play videos from RTB for the album to be successful. Radio played Dreamline, RTB and Ghost Of A Chance a lot. That was the help the band needed for the album to go platinum.

• Like 1

In Canada we had/have Much Music and they played Rush's videos on a regular basis.

In fact, the FIRST EVER VIDEO on MuchMusic when it went live (not the demo loop) was The Body Electric. And that pre-live loop I mentioned... one of the (5???) videos on the loop was Distant Early Warning. It was a great time to be a preteen discovering music in Canada! I remember the Mystic Rhythms video being almost constantly on in early 1986.

In Canada we had/have Much Music and they played Rush's videos on a regular basis.

In fact, the FIRST EVER VIDEO on MuchMusic when it went live (not the demo loop) was The Body Electric. And that pre-live loop I mentioned... one of the (5???) videos on the loop was Distant Early Warning. It was a great time to be a preteen discovering music in Canada! I remember the Mystic Rhythms video being almost constantly on in early 1986.

Mystic wa a great video and got plenty of play on MTV as well.
  • Like 1

\

CanCon!

One of the perks of living in Canada and being a Rush fan. ;)

You guys get most of the good stuff. MTV never played any Rush video before Moving Pictures.

\

CanCon!

You guys get most of the good stuff. MTV never played any Rush video before Moving Pictures.

Was there a video from PWaves?

\

CanCon!

It would have been hard for them to do so since MTV didn't start until 1981.

\

CanCon!

:LOL:

\

CanCon!

....and Much Music started in 1984,

\

CanCon!

Was there a video from PWaves?

No, but there were videos from Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres.....

\

CanCon!

Didn't stop Much Music which started in 1984 from playing Closer To The Heart and A Farewell To Kings but as ws said they did have the Canadian content rule.

\

CanCon!

Didn't stop Much Music which started in 1984 from playing Closer To The Heart and A Farewell To Kings but as ws said they did have the Canadian content rule.

Oh ok, I misread what you were saying there. MTV was all about being hip and current when they started. They weren't going to play old videos from the 70s with three nerds dressed in kimonos lol.

\

CanCon!

Oh ok, I misread what you were saying there. MTV was all about being hip and current when they started. They weren't going to play old videos from the 70s with three nerds dressed in kimonos lol.

That's true, but MTV was literally begging for videos when they launched so if management was aware of this (they might not have been at that time) they would have gotten played. Pre-1981 videos were played early on. I remember seeing The Doors a few times. '70s Queen too.