Best Lead Vocalist/Guitarist Duos

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Me, BSG and R_o_R were in the chatroom and this topic came up. We came up with these ten famous rock lead vocalist/lead guitarist duos. Which ones did we miss? This list has conditions: The lead vocalist has to be primarily a vocalist, meaning Lee/Lifeson doesn't count. And groups with two lead guitarists, such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, don't count because you don't identify, say, Rob Halford with just one of Priest's guitarists. I'm talking about this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/aerosmith10102297.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/ledzep15.jpg

Do you have any to add? Maybe we'll do a poll after this.

1) Robert Plant/Jimmy Page

2) Steven Tyler/Joe Perry

3) Axl Rose/Slash

4) Bono/The Edge

5) Freddy Mercury/Brian May

6) David Lee Roth/Eddie Van Halen

7) Roger Daltry/Pete Townshend

8) Ozzy Osbourne/Tony Iommi

9) Ozzy Osbourne/Randy Rhodes

10) Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow....cool topic, you guys.

Ummm....I can't think of anyone else yet (you guys thought of the two I would've come up with already), but I'll keep thinking. biggrin.gif

Ok, here's a few. (It's amazing how much you can recall AFTER the fact of a brain-storming session.)

Pat Benatar/Neil Geraldo (let's not forget the ladies)

David Bowie/Mick Ronson (see above laugh.gif )

Ray Davies/Dave Davies of The Kinks

Rod Stewart/Ron Wood of The Faces

Ok, I guess we should consider-

Jon Anderson/Steve Howe

- because Jon is definitely a lead singer/frontman, and although Steve works primarily within the framework of the Yes ensemble, he is definitely a guitar legend (and darn old-looking, too! Have you seen this dude lately? ohmy.gif laugh.gif )

QUOTE (CuervosMan @ Oct 9 2004, 10:34 AM)
Quibble away if you must...

However, The vocals of Tommy are almost synonymous with Styx, and the bulk of the lead guitar work was/is done by JY.

I have to disagree big time! Tommy Shaw did his share of lead work, and even if he never played a solo in his life, he's still a guitarist.

Angus Young/Bon Scott

Angus Young/Brian Johnson

Jon Bon Jovi/Richie Sambora

Pat Benatar/Neil Geraldo

Jon Anderson/Steve Howe

Rod Stewart/Jeff Beck

Steve Perry/Neil Schon

All good ones! The AC/DC ones are good because Angus' brother Malcolm is primarily a rhythm guitarist and stays in the background, much like Aerosmith's Brad Whitford.

I agree with the hesitation to add the Yes duo here, but if the criteria is the charasmatic lead singer paired with the guitar hero, then we have to add them.

Stewart/Beck weren't together for long, but their very names warrent a mention.

The others are slam dunks, especially Bon Jovi...like 'em or not. Opinions? Any others?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 9 2004, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (CuervosMan @ Oct 9 2004, 10:34 AM)
Quibble away if you must...

However, The vocals of Tommy are almost synonymous with Styx, and the bulk of the lead guitar work was/is done by JY.

I have to disagree big time! Tommy Shaw did his share of lead work, and even if he never played a solo in his life, he's still a guitarist.

And also, like BSG said, Tommy Shaw wasn't Styx's front man/primary lead vocalist.

At the risk of public ridicule I'll add Gary Richrath/Kevin Cronin (REO). In their heyday, this was a powerful combination with Richrath balancing Cronin's insipid lyrics (bad lyrics don't make a bad singer) with some blistering guitar work. Richrath is one of the most underrated rock guitarists ever, IMO. Listen to some of his work, especially some live stuff and it is smokin'! Together, these two cranked out a slew of succesful and memorable tunes that provided part of the soundtrack of my youth. Remember Hi Infidelity?

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 9 2004, 12:59 PM)
At the risk of public ridicule I'll add Gary Richrath/Kevin Cronin (REO). In their heyday, this was a powerful combination with Richrath balancing Cronin's insipid lyrics (bad lyrics don't make a bad singer) with some blistering guitar work. Richrath is one of the most underrated rock guitarists ever, IMO. Listen to some of his work, especially some live stuff and it is smokin'! Together, these two cranked out a slew of succesful and memorable tunes that provided part of the soundtrack of my youth. Remember Hi Infidelity?

Hi Infidelity? He*l, I remember "You Get What You Play For", their seminal live LP. This was one of the first ten records I ever bought, and I can still listen to "Riding the Storm Out" without any embarassment or hesitation. (Can't say that about every record I bought when I was 13.)

But Kevin Cronin also played rhythm guitar regularly. And, yes, Gary Richrath was quite underrated. So..... whatever. Probably too old for these youngsters, Snowie. confused13.gif

If you don't mind me getting a little obscure, I'll add

Sean Harris/Brian Tatler from Diamond Head (once described as having more good riffs in one song than the first four Black Sabbath albums)

Peter Gabriel/Steve Hackett from Genesis (Phil who? 062802puke_prv.gif )

Brian Connolly/Andy Scott from The Sweet

Ian Gillan/Richie Blackmore from Deep Purple

Ian Hunter/Mick Ralphs from Mott the Hoople

Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs from Bad Co

Paul Rodgers/Paul Kossoff from Free

Anthony Kiedis/John Frusiante from RHCP

Nev McDonald/Myke Grey from Skin (bugger her from Skunk Anasie)

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 9 2004, 02:48 PM)
If you don't mind me getting a little obscure, I'll add

Sean Harris/Brian Tatler from Diamond Head (once described as having more good riffs in one song than the first four Black Sabbath albums)
Peter Gabriel/Steve Hackett from Genesis (Phil who?  062802puke_prv.gif )
Brian Connolly/Andy Scott from The Sweet
Ian Gillan/Richie Blackmore from Deep Purple
Ian Hunter/Mick Ralphs from Mott the Hoople
Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs from Bad Co
Paul Rodgers/Paul Kossoff from Free
Anthony Kiedis/John Frusiante from RHCP
Nev McDonald/Myke Grey from Skin (bugger her from Skunk Anasie)

Tell us more about Diamond Head. I've heard of them but haven't heard any songs.

We mentioned Deep Purple last night, and I forgot all about it. Good one.

Funny, when I think of RCHP, I think of Kiedis and Flea, not Kiedis and Frusiante. Interesting...

Diamond Head were a NWOBHM band who released a self-financed album in the early 80s (a review of which is where the quote I mentioned came from). On the strength of this they signed to MCA records and had a bit of success with their Living on Borrowed Time album. The follow up, Canterbury, was less sucessful due to the band trying a bit more experimentation and the fact that a good 70% of the albums shipped to the shops were faulty pressings (after taking their third copy back, a lot of people said sod it). In addition, MCA gave them no support and they split. They reformed in the mid-90s, releasing an album called Death and Progress which featured guest spots from Tony Iommi and Dave Mustaine before supporting Metallica at their Milton Keynes gig in 95.

Sadly, the main they're remembered for is the fact that Metallica covered three of their songs: The Prince, Its Electric and Am I Evil.

For more info go to the Offical Diamond Head Site for more details.

Derrick St. Holmes and Ted Nugent

Ian Gillian and Ritchie Blackmore

David Coverdale and Ritchie Blackmore

Ronnie James Dio and Ritchie Blackmore

Joe Lynn Turner and Ritchie Blackmore

Candice Night and Ritchie Blackmore new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Oct 9 2004, 07:20 PM)
Derrick St. Holmes and Ted Nugent

Are you a Blackmore fan perchance?

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 9 2004, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus @ Oct 9 2004, 07:20 PM)
Derrick St. Holmes  and Ted Nugent

Are you a Blackmore fan perchance?

Ya, I was 13 when Made in Japan came out, I never heard anything like the solos in Child in Time and Highway Star. Changed my life as to the music I liked.

QUOTE (BSG @ Oct 9 2004, 01:46 PM)

Hi Infidelity? He*l, I remember "You Get What You Play For", their seminal live LP. This was one of the first ten records I ever bought, and I can still listen to "Riding the Storm Out" without any embarassment or hesitation. (Can't say that about every record I bought when I was 13.)

But Kevin Cronin also played rhythm guitar regularly. And, yes, Gary Richrath was quite underrated. So..... whatever. Probably too old for these youngsters, Snowie. confused13.gif

not all of us...

The first solo I ever learned was "Keep On Lovin' You"

for best lead singer/guitarist combo:

Zach DeLaRoche/Tom Morrelo - RATM Rage Against The Machine

Kim Thayil/Chris Cornell - Soundgarden

Layne Stanley/Jerry Cantrell - Alice in Chains

at the INSISTANCE of my worser half Maynard James Keenan/Adam Jones -Tool

if you want yet another Ozzy nod, Ozzie Osbourne / Zach Wylde

Dual Leads:

Chris DeGarmo/Mike Wilton - Queensryche

Glen Buxton/Michael Bruce - Alice Cooper Band (Schools Out)

Dave Mustaine/Marty Freidman - Megadeath

James Hetfield/Kirk Hammett

Tommy Skeoch/Frank Hannon - TESLA

and I'm still working on more... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Oct 9 2004, 10:23 PM)

not all of us...

Dual Leads:

Oh GREAT <rolling eyes> ! Now we have to start our own REO Speedwagon fan club here! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Oct 9 2004, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Oct 9 2004, 10:23 PM)

not all of us...

Dual Leads:

Oh GREAT <rolling eyes> ! Now we have to start our own REO Speedwagon fan club here! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Speaking of REO Speedwagon, that is another one I have:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/DSCN0107.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/DSCN0108.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/SCAN01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/SCAN02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/SCAN03.jpg

And this is the RIAA Award from Moving Pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/DSCN0109.jpg

Archived