Most underrated rush album

Red3angel

Signals. It follows their two masterpieces, and unfairly gets lumped in with the three albums that followed as part of the, "they lost their way," era. But Subdivisions is one of their best crafted songs, The Analog Kid and Digital Man were still pretty heavy, and with The Weapon they found a way to be heavy AND use the synths. And Losing It (much like Different Strings) was a true ballad, and beautiful.

I like a lot more than I did when it was released.

I bet a lot of people feel that way. Coming after PeW and MP was tough. But now that people can see what came after Signals . . .

Nothing wrong with loads of superior albums.

hell yea (even though i love Signals but still, lol)

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

And I enjoy Counterparts and Snakes And Arrows more. Clockwork Angels about the same as Signals.

Yeah. Signals wasn't that special.

There’s a reason Geddy makes a thinly veiled reference to the synth era in BtLS when he compares it to the “best Rush.”

Good for him. I'm glad he has an opinion different to mine. I'm glad I don't need others validation to prove the merit of my voice.

If you're going to make opinionated comments, which I completely support on a board like this, you really can't get your nose out of joint about other people doing so. I'm sure you see the irony in offering your differing opinion, but when met with one retreating to "I'm entitled to my opinion."

The Synth Era is super awesome! Other opinions are invalid.

:LOL:

To their credit, Geddy and Alex accepted responsibility for f*cking up the band's discography with the Synth Era on BtLS. I in turn accepted their apology.

Why did Alex accept responsibility for the band's nadir? He was the victim in all of it.

He was an enabler. He could have stopped the madness if he truly wanted to.

Signals. It follows their two masterpieces, and unfairly gets lumped in with the three albums that followed as part of the, "they lost their way," era. But Subdivisions is one of their best crafted songs, The Analog Kid and Digital Man were still pretty heavy, and with The Weapon they found a way to be heavy AND use the synths. And Losing It (much like Different Strings) was a true ballad, and beautiful.

I bet a lot of people feel that way. Coming after PeW and MP was tough. But now that people can see what came after Signals . . .

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

And I enjoy Counterparts and Snakes And Arrows more. Clockwork Angels about the same as Signals.

There’s a reason Geddy makes a thinly veiled reference to the synth era in BtLS when he compares it to the “best Rush.”

Good for him. I'm glad he has an opinion different to mine. I'm glad I don't need others validation to prove the merit of my voice.

If you're going to make opinionated comments, which I completely support on a board like this, you really can't get your nose out of joint about other people doing so. I'm sure you see the irony in offering your differing opinion, but when met with one retreating to "I'm entitled to my opinion."

To their credit, Geddy and Alex accepted responsibility for f*cking up the band's discography with the Synth Era on BtLS. I in turn accepted their apology.

Why did Alex accept responsibility for the band's nadir? He was the victim in all of it.

Victim blamer.

But sure, he could have just walked away and not have had anything to do with those albums. Although, are we completely sure he didn't?

:huh:

• Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

But sure, he could have just walked away and not have had anything to do with those albums. Although, are we completely sure he didn't?

That's exactly it. He knew it was wrong, yet he collaborated. It's the difference between how France responded to Nazi Germany, and how England did.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

That's exactly it. He knew it was wrong, yet he collaborated. It's the difference between how France responded to Nazi Germany, and how England did.

But did he actually play on them or did he just contribute to the liner notes? It's not like the rock fan's money is any greener than that of housewives who love them some Fogelberg.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

But did he actually play on them or did he just contribute to the liner notes? It's not like the rock fan's money is any greener than that of housewives who love them some Fogelberg.

Define, "play on them."

Considering that everyone and their mother saw the Moving Pictures tour, and only your neighbor's mother saw the Hold Your Fire tour, I think one can argue that becoming a slightly softer version of The Fixx wasn't a great economic decision.

I agree with most people here that their best days were from signals on back. But I love the band way too much not to own all the records. And to keep myself from burning out on the classic stuff I will listen to anything of theirs. Edited by Red3angel

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

Considering that everyone and their mother saw the Moving Pictures tour, and only your neighbor's mother saw the Hold Your Fire tour, I think one can argue that becoming a slightly softer version of The Fixx wasn't a great economic decision.

I can't really decide whether the definition of "playing on them" requires the playing to be audible.

It obviously wasn't a great economic decision. They should have learned from Peter Frampton's example. Who knows, maybe Peart had a secret desire to get out of the limelight by, in the words of rock management icon Ian Faith, having their appeal be more selective, and he was able to seduce the other two with visions of light rock fame and the chicks that would inevitably result from doing so. Alex DID say that's why they got into music originally, after all.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

I can't really decide whether the definition of "playing on them" requires the playing to be audible.

It obviously wasn't a great economic decision. They should have learned from Peter Frampton's example. Who knows, maybe Peart had a secret desire to get out of the limelight by, in the words of rock management icon Ian Faith, having their appeal be more selective, and he was able to seduce the other two with visions of light rock fame and the chicks that would inevitably result from doing so. Alex DID say that's why they got into music originally, after all.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Synth Era hating fools.

• Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

In fairness, there were, and are, people who bought Moving Pictures who obviously weren't "real fans." The herd did need to be thinned. My God, do you realize there are people who will tell you Permanent Waves is a better album than Test For Echo?

• Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

...do you realize there are people who will tell you Permanent Waves is a better album than Test For Echo?

Because it is. The album is perfection.

• Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

In fairness, there were, and are, people who bought Moving Pictures who obviously weren't "real fans." The herd did need to be thinned. My God, do you realize there are people who will tell you Permanent Waves is a better album than Test For Echo?

Probably tough talking hood boys in pro team logo knockoffs

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

...do you realize there are people who will tell you Permanent Waves is a better album than Test For Echo?

And Totem and Half the World arent? And I haven't even mentioned the ground breaking Carve Away the Stone...

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

You are a “real” fan. I yield.

f**k I've read programming flowcharts that are easier to follow than some of these extended posts.

:blink:

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Wait, LABT knows some pretty obscure songs too. He might be the “real” fan.

Did you know Counterparts is a grunge album?

I knew it was different in its atonality...

• Like 2

Wait, LABT knows some pretty obscure songs too. He might be the “real” fan.

Did you know Counterparts is a grunge album?

I knew it was different in its atonality...

I went to his parties, as a gay minority

oh wait, that's not it...

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

I thought it was generally accepted that the majority of fans, of all eras and ages, view PeW as superior to the 90s albums. Of course you have every right to think otherwise, but to imply that it's crazy to think PeW is better than T4E does sound a little... crazy.

Maybe I'm just missing the joke in here somewhere...

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

I thought it was generally accepted that the majority of fans, of all eras and ages, view PeW as superior to the 90s albums. Of course you have every right to think otherwise, but to imply that it's crazy to think PeW is better than T4E does sound a little... crazy.

You're missing the joke. "Real" fans rank the albums and place MP and PeW somewhere around 14 and 15. People who aren't lunatics know neither album should be placed lower than third, and even that low is pushing it.

• Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

IMO, T4E is Rush's best cd to do lines off of while I listen to PeW.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Victim blamer.

Define, "play on them."

You're missing the joke. "Real" fans rank the albums and place MP and PeW somewhere around 14 and 15. People who aren't lunatics know neither album should be placed lower than third, and even that low is pushing it.

Ah, y'all had me going there for a minute.

AFTK

PeW

MP

that's my worldview :)

Nothing after Signals approaches “superior” to it.

I think GUP slays it.
  • Like 2

Nothing after Signals approaches “superior” to it.

I think GUP slays it.

oh i think plenty match and surpass signals. i couldn't give less than a shit what ged says, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000