Most underrated rush album

Red3angel

Signals. It follows their two masterpieces, and unfairly gets lumped in with the three albums that followed as part of the, "they lost their way," era. But Subdivisions is one of their best crafted songs, The Analog Kid and Digital Man were still pretty heavy, and with The Weapon they found a way to be heavy AND use the synths. And Losing It (much like Different Strings) was a true ballad, and beautiful.

I definitely like Signals more than any of the Rush albums that followed it.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

RTB is Rush's worst album. Completists only.

Power Windows is much more underrated.

can't Stand RTB. Tunes are weak productions akin to a 2nd rate girl group.

Mick

I don't mind the lyrics or music on the weaker songs on Bones, it was Hines production that ruins it for me. Alex's guitar is so weak and tinny throughout, even more so then the previous albums. My go to example is the guitar part during b "The odds get even" parts of YBYL. It sounds like Alex is playing a cheap Sears guitar through a cheap amp in the studio parking lot. Thank God they fixed their sound on the next album

• Like 1

Signals. It follows their two masterpieces, and unfairly gets lumped in with the three albums that followed as part of the, "they lost their way," era. But Subdivisions is one of their best crafted songs, The Analog Kid and Digital Man were still pretty heavy, and with The Weapon they found a way to be heavy AND use the synths. And Losing It (much like Different Strings) was a true ballad, and beautiful.

I like a lot more than I did when it was released.

• Like 1

Also Neurotica had easily the weakest chorus on any Rush song ever. Its like they just gave up on the song and figured "Meh, that'll do"

A shame, too, because the rest of the song is pretty decent.

I bet a lot of people feel that way. Coming after PeW and MP was tough. But now that people can see what came after Signals . . .

• Like 1

IMO it's the last truly great Rush album. They had some really good ones, and some not so great ones with great moments on them, but Signals is the last where you'd be fine with them playing any one of the songs live, and they wouldn't be the "signal" (pun intended) for a bathroom break.

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire, most critics seem to be put off by the lack of muscle on this one. I have probably a sentimental side in me that comes out when I play that album

Also Neurotica had easily the weakest chorus on any Rush song ever. Its like they just gave up on the song and figured "Meh, that'll do"

They stole that chorus from Def Leppard's Hysteria, but somehow the better band constructed the worse tune.

• Like 1

RTB is Rush's worst album. Completists only.

Power Windows is much more underrated.

can't Stand RTB. Tunes are weak productions akin to a 2nd rate girl group.

Mick

I don't mind the lyrics or music on the weaker songs on Bones, it was Hines production that ruins it for me. Alex's guitar is so weak and tinny throughout, even more so then the previous albums. My go to example is the guitar part during b "The odds get even" parts of YBYL. It sounds like Alex is playing a cheap Sears guitar through a cheap amp in the studio parking lot. Thank God they fixed their sound on the next album

bingo. the production does suck. it sounds like neil's banging on tin cans, lol

i love counterparts

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

IMO it's the last truly great Rush album. They had some really good ones, and some not so great ones with great moments on them, but Signals is the last where you'd be fine with them playing any one of the songs live, and they wouldn't be the "signal" (pun intended) for a bathroom break.

Nah, p/g and CA are great. Maybe VT, too.

Digital Man or Chemistry would definitely be signals to hit the loo.

RTB is half of a great album (sound issues aside) and half a mediocre album. If only they beefed up their sound and went back to Peter Collins one album earlier....

My issues with CP is the opposite. I love the sound and mix but don't care or flat out dislike half of the songs

• Like 1

I bet a lot of people feel that way. Coming after PeW and MP was tough. But now that people can see what came after Signals . . .

Nothing wrong with loads of superior albums.

• Like 1

hell yea (even though i love Signals but still, lol)

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

And I enjoy Counterparts and Snakes And Arrows more. Clockwork Angels about the same as Signals.

Yeah. Signals wasn't that special.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

And I enjoy Counterparts and Snakes And Arrows more. Clockwork Angels about the same as Signals.

There’s a reason Geddy makes a thinly veiled reference to the synth era in BtLS when he compares it to the “best Rush.”

Nothing after Signals approaches “superior” to it.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

There’s a reason Geddy makes a thinly veiled reference to the synth era in BtLS when he compares it to the “best Rush.”

Good for him. I'm glad he has an opinion different to mine. I'm glad I don't need others validation to prove the merit of my voice.

• Like 1

Nothing after Signals approaches “superior” to it.

Only to my ears nearly everything does.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Good for him. I'm glad he has an opinion different to mine. I'm glad I don't need others validation to prove the merit of my voice.

If you're going to make opinionated comments, which I completely support on a board like this, you really can't get your nose out of joint about other people doing so. I'm sure you see the irony in offering your differing opinion, but when met with one retreating to "I'm entitled to my opinion."

• Like 1

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

If you're going to make opinionated comments, which I completely support on a board like this, you really can't get your nose out of joint about other people doing so. I'm sure you see the irony in offering your differing opinion, but when met with one retreating to "I'm entitled to my opinion."

The Synth Era is super awesome! Other opinions are invalid.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

:LOL:

To their credit, Geddy and Alex accepted responsibility for f*cking up the band's discography with the Synth Era on BtLS. I in turn accepted their apology.

• Like 2

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

:LOL:

To their credit, Geddy and Alex accepted responsibility for f*cking up the band's discography with the Synth Era on BtLS. I in turn accepted their apology.

Why did Alex accept responsibility for the band's nadir? He was the victim in all of it.