What Band / Artist Do You Need To Investigate Further?

The Cat 3

- Reverend Gary Davis and Mississippi John Hurt in the acoustic category .. I have really really been enjoying the genius and sincerity, but between both artists, I haven;t even scratched the surface

- David Bowie .. Aside from Ziggy Stardust, I own none of his albums

- 60s girl groups like The Shirelles, Shangri Las, The Toys ... more magical music that has genius in the simplicity and songwriting

Aladdin Sane is my personal fave as well as Heroes. The entire Berlin era of the late 70s is worth checking out especially if you’re a fan of new wave in general. I’m mostly familiar with his 70s albums, Scary Monsters, Earthling and his last two but have given his others many streaming listens since his death. 90 something percent of what I listened to in January 2016 was DB.

• Like 1

- Reverend Gary Davis and Mississippi John Hurt in the acoustic category .. I have really really been enjoying the genius and sincerity, but between both artists, I haven;t even scratched the surface

- David Bowie .. Aside from Ziggy Stardust, I own none of his albums

- 60s girl groups like The Shirelles, Shangri Las, The Toys ... more magical music that has genius in the simplicity and songwriting

Aladdin Sane is my personal fave as well as Heroes. The entire Berlin era of the late 70s is worth checking out especially if you’re a fan of new wave in general. I’m mostly familiar with his 70s albums, Scary Monsters, Earthling and his last two but have given his others many streaming listens since his death. 90 something percent of what I listened to in January 2016 was DB.

Bowie made my top five very quickly for very good reason. The fact that he made both Ziggy and Blackstar in his life alone means a lot. Add to that the run from Space Oddity to Let's Dance, where pretty much every album is unique, ahead of the curve, and fantastic, and you really can't ask for much more.

If you like Ziggy, Aladdin Sane is the logical next step, but warned it's raunchier, a bit weirder (he hired an avant garde jazz pianist) and not as epic in feel. I love it though.

EDIT: speaking to Lucas here of course.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Porcupine Tree. I like almost everything I heard, which is a drop in the bucket.

In Absentia

Deadwing

Fear of a Blank Planet

For the Rush fan inside all of us. Lerxst even plays a solo on a track. I also like rhe Psychedic-ish period of the mid -90’s.

I'll second that on Deadwing. I'll also recommend Signify/Insignificance.

Yeah and Sky Moves Sideways.

• Like 1

Mastodon - I haven't been able to fully buy in yet. They're playing my town this fall...I might want to dive deeper.

Van Halen/Hagar/Extreme guy - Never listened to the complete catalog...crazy, I know.

UFO - Need to hear more. Like everything I've listened to.

Prince - So much music I'd like to explore besides the hits.

Bowie - ditto.

Porcupine Tree - I'm mostly in the dark.

Megadeth - I gotta be in the mood.

Random artist live albums - Discovering great live material is a fun way to explore.

• Like 1

Mastodon - I haven't been able to fully buy in yet. They're playing my town this fall...I might want to dive deeper.

Van Halen/Hagar/Extreme guy - Never listened to the complete catalog...crazy, I know.

Bowie - ditto.

Random artist live albums - Discovering great live material is a fun way to explore.

With Bowie, if you only hear the hits, you're missing out on almost everything. Suffragette City, Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel. These are really not accurate representations of the scope of his work in the early 70s.

• Like 1

Bowie - ditto.

What Van Halen albums have you heard? Try this order:

Fair Warning

Van Halen II

Van Halen

Women and Children First

Diver Down

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

OU812

Balance

A Different Kind of Truth

Van Halen III

Bowie - ditto.

With Bowie, if you only hear the hits, you're missing out on almost everything. Suffragette City, Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel. These are really not accurate representations of the scope of his work in the early 70s.

I've heard deeper Bowie work here and there. I even have his Earthling album (I know...kind of random, but I like it). I'm intrigued by his early stuff.

• Like 1

Bowie - ditto.

Fair Warning

Van Halen II

Van Halen

Women and Children First

Diver Down

OU812

Balance

Van Halen III

VH albums I have heard in full...

VH

Diver Down

W&CF

ADKOT

those and all the mtv/radio singles.

Bowie - ditto.

I've heard deeper Bowie work here and there. I even have his Earthling album (I know...kind of random, but I like it). I'm intrigued by his early stuff.

for his quirky, folky, slightly western side: Hunky Dory

for his classic rock, space invader side: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

for his racier, zanier, raunchier side: Aladdin Sane

for his weirder, proggier, more theatrical side: Diamond Dogs

for his plastic soul side: Young Americans

for his coke fueled, dystopian rnb side: Station To Station

for his Berlin era, kraut rock, new wave side: Low, Heroes, and Lodger (though I haven't really heard the last two these three are often lumped together)

for his first return to pop music with help from Robert Fripp: Scary Monsters

for Bowie conquering the charts: Let's Dance (haven't heard this yet either)

also Blackstar deserves to be considered among his classic albums, though it was his swan song. It's kind of RnB and drum 'n bass infused with avant grade jazz, but Bowie all over.

• Like 1

I think I could go through Mastodon. I saw them on Friday and are now a new favorite. I just need to check more of their stuff out to really get into em.

I think I could go through Mastodon. I saw them on Friday and are now a new favorite. I just need to check more of their stuff out to really get into em.

One of my favourite metal bands, for me their first three albums are classics.

Opeth.

As a teenager they were up their with Nightwish, Lacuna Coil and Paradise Lost. Then...somehow over time I just lost interest, made even worse when I moved house and lost all their albums.

I know pretty much everything, definitley everything from Orchid to Watershed. I miss them.

Opeth.

As a teenager they were up their with Nightwish, Lacuna Coil and Paradise Lost. Then...somehow over time I just lost interest, made even worse when I moved house and lost all their albums.

I know pretty much everything, definitley everything from Orchid to Watershed. I miss them.

this band does zip for me and i've tried over and over.

Talented guys obviously but man it's a snooze.

Mick

• Like 1

One of my favourite metal bands, for me their first three albums are classics.

All the songs I have so far are Blood and Thunder as well as all the songs they played at my show. Sultan's Curse is probably my favorite one by them.

Opeth.

Mick

My friend and I walked out on an Opeth show back in 2005. We went to it to see a band called Nevermore who were the main support band and a band we both love dearly. They put on a kick ass 45 minute set then Opeth came on and proceeded to bore the shit out of us. I think we left after maybe four songs. It was odd even all the people who were there to see them didn't seem too into the show either.

The worst part was after coming out and playing a boring ten minute tune the singer talked for five minutes after. He did this after every song. I get that playing ten minute songs is difficult live and the band might need a breather or two but I don't need a five minute monologue between each song. Talk about killing the mood for any non fans in the audience that night.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Bowie - ditto.

for his classic rock, space invader side: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

for his Berlin era, kraut rock, new wave side: Low, Heroes, and Lodger (though I haven't really heard the last two these three are often lumped together)

also Blackstar deserves to be considered among his classic albums, though it was his swan song. It's kind of RnB and drum 'n bass infused with avant grade jazz, but Bowie all over.

You haven't heard Heroes or Let's Dance?

Opeth.

Mick

My friend and I walked out on an Opeth show back in 2005. We went to it to see a band called Nevermore who were the main support band and a band we both love dearly. They put on a kick ass 45 minute set then Opeth came on and proceeded to bore the shit out of us. I think we left after maybe four songs. It was odd even all the people who were there to see them didn't seem too into the show either.

The worst part was after coming out and playing a boring ten minute tune the singer talked for five minutes after. He did this after every song. I get that playing ten minute songs is difficult live and the band might need a breather or two but I don't need a five minute monologue between each song. Talk about killing the mood for any non fans in the audience that night.

i can imagine. they are really very revered here so i had to try them. but it just doesn't work for me. it's all very plodding. i have no problem with long tunes. but these just come off as long because we can, lol

and mostly they go like this......loud section, soft acoustic section.....loud....acoustic...loud....and on and on, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Bowie - ditto.

Fair Warning

Van Halen II

Van Halen

Women and Children First

Diver Down

OU812

Balance

Van Halen III

VH albums I have heard in full...

VH

Diver Down

W&CF

ADKOT

those and all the mtv/radio singles.

Then you haven't heard the best DLR era album (Fair Warning) or the best Hagar era album (For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge).

Bowie - ditto.

the songs, yes, the albums, not yet. Haven't gotten to them. I actually only just got Lodger the other day.

Bowie - ditto.

the songs, yes, the albums, not yet. Haven't gotten to them. I actually only just got Lodger the other day.

What do you mean "the songs?" The title tracks? That's what I was asking, you haven't heard those entire albums? Let's Dance, in particular, is a great album.