Song By Song Battle: Hold Your Fire vs. Roll the Bones

diatribein

A battle of two of the most under-praised albums in their career. I suspect that the red one will win easily for most people here, considering it is the last album of an era that is still held in fairly high esteem on this board. Skipping albums again because these two line up well in terms of number of tracks and relative popularity (or lack there of) with regulars. Here are my choices:

Force Ten < Dreamline

Time Stand Still > Bravado

Open Secrets < Roll The Bones

Second Nature ≥ Face Up

Prime Mover > Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster Of Boats" Trilogy)

Lock And Key > The Big Wheel

Mission > Heresy

Turn The Page > Ghost Of A Chance

Tai Shan < Neurotica

High Water < You Bet Your Life

Very strange 6 - 4 win for Hold Your Fire for me ONLY because of the match-ups. Had Lock And Key & Mission gone up against 7 of the remaining 8 on Roll The Bones they would have lost, but instead they battle against two of the three songs I dislike on Roll The Bones. The closest battle on here is track 4 where Second Nature wins only due to the stellar lyrics. Along with Neurotica these are some of my all time favourite Neil Peart lyrics. The most lopsided battle of all the battles so far is track #5, where my favourite song from all 20 on offer destroys the song I like least out of these choices. Still, overall I do like Roll The Bones as an album better. If we were doing a straight up Top 10 from these 20, Roll The Bones wins 6 - 4.

• Like 1

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Roll The Bones (for having seen it in concert more than anything)

Second Nature

Where's My thing

Lock And Key

Mission, oh definitely Mission

Turn The Page

Tai Shan. bite me. Heresy is Rush's worst song.

High Water, for being not nearly as annoying as that other one.

Wow, some very unfortunate matchups in there.

• Like 1

A 6 to 4 win for RtB over HYF. I really like Roll the Bones, so I'm not surprised at all. I like the reviled You Bet Your Life a lot, but I also like High Water- so that was close for me because they are good songs rather than because they are bad.

Prime Mover is my favorite across both albums, followed by Dreamline. The race was close, both albums have tracks I love and tracks I never bother to listen to. No surprises here and honestly if HYF had won that really wouldn't be a surprise either.

Force Ten < Dreamline

Second Nature < Face Up

Prime Mover > Where's My Thing?

Mission < Heresy

Tai Shan < Neurotica

• Like 1

A 6 to 4 win for RtB over HYF. I really like Roll the Bones, so I'm not surprised at all. I like the reviled You Bet Your Life a lot, but I also like High Water- so that was close for me because they are good songs rather than because they are bad.

Prime Mover is my favorite across both albums, followed by Dreamline. The race was close, both albums have tracks I love and tracks I never bother to listen to. No surprises here and honestly if HYF had won that really wouldn't be a surprise either.

Force Ten < Dreamline

Second Nature < Face Up

Mission < Heresy

Tai Shan < Neurotica

Nice!

We are very, very close. Prime Mover is also my favourite of all here and I love most of the songs you like on Roll The Bones too. I think our only real disagreement is Heresy, because I also love Face Up and it was a difficult choice for me on that one.

Force Ten > Dreamline

Second Nature < Face Up

Prime Mover < Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster Of Boats" Trilogy)

Mission > Heresy

Turn The Page < Ghost Of A Chance

Tai Shan < Neurotica

High Water > You Bet Your Life

5 to 5, god damn.

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 1

Force Ten < Dreamline

Second Nature < Face Up

Mission < Heresy

Tai Shan < Neurotica

Nice!

We are very, very close. Prime Mover is also my favourite of all here and I love most of the songs you like on Roll The Bones too. I think our only real disagreement is Heresy, because I also love Face Up and it was a difficult choice for me on that one.

Face Up is a great song. I did choose Face Up. I put Heresy over Mission, though. Mission was never a favorite.

Edited by Mosher

Imho, HYF is Rush’s last great album from start to finish. Even my least favorite track, Tai Shan, I find enjoyable at some level.

I only like 4 tracks off Bones: Dreamline, Bravado, Ghost of a Chance, and Where’s My Thing. The only one that wins their matchup is Dreamline. All the other Bones tracks I either don’t care about or dislike entirely.

Final score...

Hold Your Fire: 9, Roll the Bones: 1.

Sometimes specific matchups help an album win. This time it didn’t matter.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Get rid of Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life and you have two albums I love equally.

So for this reason Hold Your Fire wins, but of the two albums Bravado is my favourite song.

All this hate for the intentionally silly YBYL and purposefully light Face Up, but for my money Ghost of a Chance is the worstof these two, well tied with Tai Shan, because both are serious in their saccharine sentiments.

All this hate for the intentionally silly YBYL and purposefully light Face Up, but for my money Ghost of a Chance is the worstof these two, well tied with Tai Shan, because both are serious in their saccharine sentiments.

Just because something is 'intentionally silly' doesn't make it good or even passable.

The Bones rap was meant as a joke of course...but knowing that didn't help me like it. Same thing goes for YBYL and Face Up - two baddies that crack my top 5 worst. (Bravest Face is probably my absolute worst if you're curious.)

Force Ten > Dreamline

Time Stand Still <Bravado

Open Secrets > Roll The Bones

Second Nature > Face Up

Prime Mover < Where's My Thing?

Mission > Heresy

Tai Shan < Neurotica

HYF by Geds nose

Just because something is 'intentionally silly' doesn't make it good or even passable.

The Bones rap was meant as a joke of course...but knowing that didn't help me like it. Same thing goes for YBYL and Face Up - two baddies that crack my top 5 worst. (Bravest Face is probably my absolute worst if you're curious.)

Not at all saying you should like, just explaining why I think Ghost and Tai are worse (and why I like the others)

Force Ten < Dreamline

Open Secrets > Roll The Bones

Second Nature < Face Up

Prime Mover > Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster Of Boats" Trilogy)

Mission > Heresy

Tai Shan < Neurotica

HYF wins easily.

As it should because I love that album and loathe RTB with a searing passion seasoned by a dash of indifference and a sprig of apathy.

The only one that wins their matchup is Dreamline. All the other Bones tracks I either don’t care about or dislike entirely.

Final score...

Hold Your Fire: 9, Roll the Bones: 1.

This.

Dreamline is the best Rush song of the 90s. The rest of RTB does not trump their HYF equivalents.

• Like 1

Force Ten Dreamline

Time Stand Still Bravado

Open Secrets Roll The Bones

Second Nature Face Up

Prime Mover Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster Of Boats" Trilogy)

Lock And Key The Big Wheel

Mission Heresy

Turn The Page Ghost Of A Chance

Tai Shan Neurotica

High Water You Bet Your Life

Picking between Time Stand Still and Bravado is bru--tal.

• Like 1

Force Ten > Dreamline

Time Stand Still = Bravado

Open Secrets >Roll the Bones

Second Nature > Face Up

Lock and Key > The Big Wheel

Mission > Heresy

Turn the Page > Ghost of a Chance

Tai Shan < Neurotica

High Water > You Bet your Life.

HYF over Roll the Bones and it's not even a match.

Mick

Some tough decisions:

Dreamline

Bravado

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Neurotica

High Water