My own history with "Caress of Steel" + my new t-shirt w/original art work from that album!

alieninvasion76

Finally found a "Caress of Steel" t-shirt with the original pic from the album cover (front AND back, and NOT that cartoonish art work on the Amazon and even Rush website t-shirts). Ironically, I couldn't find one in Canada. Amazon.UK had them but wouldn’t ship to North America.

Anyway, having finally found one (on a U.K. site that does ship over here), I sent the link to my son as a Father’s Day present suggestion… hint hint… and he came through…

08TSM4404-SKR.jpg08TSM4404-2-SKR.jpg

(N.B. That's not me! Those are just pics from the website :sarcastic: )

Having been a Rush fan since 1976, specifically when “2112” hit the stores, I always wear my Rush t-shirts proudly; but apart from this new one being my most visually stunning one yet, “Caress of Steel” has always been one of my favourite albums.

I didn’t discover "Caress of Steel" until it was re-released a couple of years after “2112”, on the 3-record-set re-release of the first 3 albums known as “Archives” (yes, I'm that old :eh: Mind you, I was completely unaware at the time that it was the ill-fated album - initially - that was the "raison d'etre" for the now infamous "down the tubes" tour).

Anyway... I remember vividly the countless hours lying on the floor listening to that whole 2nd side, ie. "Fountain of Lamneth", and each time probably giving the “No One at the Bridge” movement an extra replay or two!!

Sadly, one day, while frantically cleaning up after the party I’d had while my parents were away for the weekend, I had side-2 just beginning to play in the background, when our cat jumped, from 3 feet above, onto the turntable…

…and while cooler heads certainly appraised, after the fact, the seeming tragedy of gouging out that section of the tune as easily remedied - given the easy replaceability of polyvinyl - the fact that the door nearest the stereo at the time of the incident became suddenly in need of repair is a testament to my overreaction and, no doubt, apoplectic state of mind, not to mention the apparent lack of sleep.

In the end, my parents, well aware of my passion for music were, for the most part, just glad that in the heat of the moment I’d nevertheless elected to kick the door and NOT the cat!!!

But seriously... the fact that this album, as early as it occurred in their history, still had this impact on me despite "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" having already dropped, is of one of the reasons why I believe this album to have been ahead of its time!! At the very least, it foreshadowed a band on the verge of greatness!!!

Would love to hear other people's associations with this great album!!!!

• Like 9

Love the t-shirt.I always have loved the artwork.I considered having the front cover done as a tattoo back job after seeing a mate with Zeps old man with the sticks back tattoo but didn't have the money and didn't feel our local tattoo guys were up for it.I started out with Hemispheres no long after it came out and eventually worked back to previous albums.I remember finding a gatefold copy in our second hand record shop(Aeroplane Records r.i.p.)and immediately bought it because elsewhere the cover was cheapened to a single sleeve.Covers were a big deal to me as here in Oz local releases were oftened cheapened as to overseas.I found COS underwhelming at first mainl because i had heard Bastille Day and Lakeside Park on ATWAS .It was like hearing Made in Japan and going back and hearing Machine Head(Deep Purple).I liked the Necromancer but Fountain took awhile to sink in.The album grows on you.Its dark,it demands your full attention,its uneven,it won't win you any girlfriends unless she is a goth,it clears parties and its of its time(disco and punk were just around the corner)Still love the album but not fave.
  • Like 1

My dad has one just like that he found at goodwill. One of his favs because it's so obscure, lol.
  • Like 2

I remember buying Caress of Steel at Sam the Recordman in downtown Toronto. I used to go down there every Saturday to check out new albums and just hang out I remember scanning the racks and seeing this lp. My immediate reaction was WTF! Fly By Night had just come out 6 months earlier and there was no real fanfare about the new record. I was excited to find it and went home and was blown away! Love Caress of Steel.
  • Like 4

I cut my RUSH teeth on Archives, and was immediately hooked by the debut. Caress was a grower, but when it finally clicked it jumped to the top tier as one of my favorite albums. The sound of the guitar and drums is perfect to my ears, and Alex is in top form. Just a gem.
  • Like 2

I only got into Rush in the early 80's and knew going in that "Caress" was the "red-headed stepchild" of their collection. I enjoy it, but I'll admit that I had low expectations just because of what I'd heard about it. It's obvious why it wasn't a big seller.

I LOVE Caress Of Steel. My favorite album. Can't get enough of Necromancer and Lamneth. Had LAMNETH as a license plate for awhile (then switched to 21I2 (2nd one is 'eye'). Now have HMSPHRS). When I first discovered Rush in the mid 80s as a teenager, I was excited to get Archives on vinyl as I got 3 new Rush albums all at once. Didn't really get Caress Of Steel. But when I got to college and started enjoying the things that the band did while they recorded the album, it finally made sense to me.

I too have a Caress Of Steel shirt. Love wearing it. Probably would wear it more often but am afraid it will get ruined with too many wears/washings. I should get a backup.

Being a 'don't look at the setlist' dork, I was so excited to get Lakeside Park on the last tour. What a surprise!!! Wish they had played more of it.

My stereo has a 6 disc changer. COS has never been out of it. Just love cutting off the lights, turning on the smoke machine and lasers, plugging in the Les Paul, cranking up the COS on the stereo, and jamming with Alex. Do fairly well with Lamneth, but I just get blown away by the fretwork on Necromancer. I play the rhythm part of Return of the Prince. No way I can keep up with Lerxst.

• Like 3

I LOVE Caress Of Steel. My favorite album. Can't get enough of Necromancer and Lamneth.

My stereo has a 6 disc changer. COS has never been out of it. Just love cutting off the lights, turning on the smoke machine and lasers, plugging in the Les Paul, cranking up the COS on the stereo, and jamming with Alex.

That last sentence paints one sweet picture in the eye of my mind.

b335770f77e8aa85c58687d6bdde0c4f-d8joh17.jpg

220px-Fog-laser.jpg